Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

austria,france or switzerland for fab ski trip

Poster: A snowHead
just started planning a luxury trip for febuary next year, and have so far come up with a short list of ;

1/ lech
2/ zermatt
3/ wengen
4/ courchevel

our main criteria is obviously the quality of the skiing, but also as one of our party is a non-skier, we need a resort that is convienent and has a good sized town with plenty of off slope activites, and an oppertunity to meet on the mountian for lunch etc.
so any thoughts on these or other resorts, would be most welcome, along with any suggestions for 4/5 star hotels.
this trip is as reward promised to my son for getting a 1st in his degree earlier this year(from a very proud dad Laughing )
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Neilski, Have been to Lech of your list and is one of my faves, if not my fave resort. I stayed in Oberlech at Hotel Montana, 4 star superior hotel which was fantastic. The food was the best I've ever tasted. Have been twice, once with wife and another couple and once with the kids - both stays were fantastic. I would highly recommend Lech to you, but I'm not 100% convinced that the non skier will have loads to do. They could meet up in Oberlech for lunch by getting the cable car from Lech dead easilly. There are plenty of walks around, but the shopping for example is limited. There is a fairly decent bus service that could take them to St Anton for example, where there is a fab sports centre with inddor/outdoor pool, climbing wall, indoor tennis etc. They could also sample the amazing apres at the Mooserwirt with the skiers of your group, as you can get taxis direct to the Mooserwirt.
Can't comment on the other resorts I'm afraid, but the service standards around Lech are fantastic and everyone is so geniunly friendly
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Neilski, I like Courchevel, but don't know how it compares for non-skiing activities to the other resorts on your shortlist. From a skiing perspective, as well as decent mountain restaurants, it has a lot to offer.

Are you stuck with a trip during February? The last three weeks of Feb will be very busy because of school holidays. The 1st week of Feb won't be too bad. and things get quieter again from the 1st/2nd week of March.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Neilski, I've only been to Zermatt on your list and I think it ticks all the boxes. Large resort with numerous shops, restaurants etc at resort level. Foot access via cable cars, gondolas, funiculars and trains to large parts of the mountain where there are very many top quality restaurants. I think (although am not certain) that there is foot access to Cervinia and Italy. There are a lot of 4 and 5 start hotels, couldn't recommend one though I'm afraid. Of course there is the Matterhorn too. I shall be there again at half term Smile

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 17-11-08 12:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Neilski, Luxury ski resort? Top rated hotels? Top quality skiing? Plenty for the non-skier to do, whilst lunching up on the mountain?

One answer - Ischgl, staying in the Trofana Royal.....

you can thank me later
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

One answer - Ischgl, staying in the Trofana Royal.....

Seconded.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Guvnor, can,t fault you on that one, went two years ago it was an epic trip, but did want to try somewhere new this time

boabski, luckily for me shopping is not one of my OH,S favourite pastimes, but she loves winter walks etc, especially if sunny, and we thought of staying up in oberlech,
and getting her to tobaggan down to lech each day
Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Only skiers with a dead wish wanting queues/crowd would want to go to Courchevel in Feb.

Zermatt and Wengen are the obvious choice. Where else can you get non-skiers travel to the top of the mountains by trains and enjoy the resorts together?

Zermatt is of course has the Matterhorn but I suppose the non-skiers would not lose out in Wengen by riding the train to the top of Junfrau. I think Zermatt is the highest place one can get to by a cable car whereas Junfrau is the highest place by train as far as the Alps is concerned. That should fit well with a son achieving the highest honour in the first degree.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Neilski, The other hotels worth looking out for in Oberlech are The Burg Hotel and Sonnenburg Hotel. Although I've not stayed in either, have lunched in them and the location is slightly better than Montana. The Hotel Montana was so good though - the staff were all so nice, and even remebered us from the previous year (must remember the bad ones!). The only slight cirticism was the beds - Austrian twins, but you'll probably fin 95% of all rooms in Austria are the same. Can never understand why a country that believes in nudity in saunas etc can't have double mattresses Embarassed
The toboggan run down to Lech is amazing. Not only did our kids spend a couple of hours each night on it, all the adults managed a couple of runs a night and is soooo much fun (better at night). The walk down to Lech is nice and one of the couples that were with us this year, took their 9 month old daughter plenty of walks and they raved about the walks. Stunning scenery although doubt it would match that of Zermatt. If I had the choice of Lech or Oberlech, I would stay in Oberlech, with or without kids.
The other thing you hear/read about Lech is the fact that it's very upmarket and expensive. Yes it's upmarket, but all the visitors are very friendly and not 'snobbish'. In terms of the cost, it's expensive to get there but no dearer than France, in fact cheaper, once there.
The skiing is very flattering around Lech and loads of offpiste if you want it. If you want a challenge you can always head to St Anton.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

The Hotel Montana was so good though - the staff were all so nice, and even remebered us from the previous year (must remember the bad ones!).

maybe that's why they remembered you Puzzled Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Neilski, I have skied all those resorts and have to say that the only downside of any of them are the prices at 1850, the skiing through is sensational. The 4 in total are some of the very best in the Alps.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lech has the best snow, nicest hotels and best service (and heated seats on its fast chairs), Zermatt the best for non skiers and scenery with easy to access Mt Restaurants (Chez Veroni is awesome!), Courcheval bit passe now and really only for WAGs, Russian Zillionaires and maybe another Mandelson/Osborne affair. Wengen don't know as never been.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JimSearle, spot on!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would certainly cross Courchevel off your list. Great grooming yes, some nice treelined runs and enormous mileage, but the resort is tacky, the lift system doesn't begin to compare with the best Austrian places and (with a few notable exceptions) the scenery isn't top notch either.

What about the other side of the pond ? I intend to go to all the resorts on your shortlist eventually but it is doubtful I will ever have the funds to go Canada or the US, or if I do it will be a once in a lifetime trip.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
truffaut, that was last years trip for me to aspen, would love to go again, but we only have a week this year, and would like to have 10 or 14 days in the states next time wink
ski holidays
truffaut, agree with everything, except you also forgot to add the prices of 1850, I was there last winter taking a corporate group around and a mountian hut offered chicken at 109 euros and wine at 9000 - leave it to the those who get a kick out of burning cash.
snow report
Guvnor, I agree with you. I've been to three of the resorts on that list and would swap any for Ischgl - great skiing, good party/city/shops/restaurants/bars and slightly cheaper then other places, specially if you stay in self-catering. great place

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 17-11-08 16:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
there's also a good lift pass discount if you stay locally
ski holidays
Quote:

our main criteria is obviously the quality of the skiing

...in which case go to Courchevel. Some interesting replies from people above who haven't even been to all of the places rolling eyes

I've been to all those places several times, including trips with non-skiers to Wengen and Zermatt. If luxury, atmosphere and the non-skier are also very important to you, then compromise and go to Zermatt.
snow report
I've been to all four places, they all have good skiing and some decent hotels, but the winner hands down for the non-skier is surely Wengen - a huge area to explore by train and on foot (all three Jungfrau region resorts, the Jungfrau itself, Lauterbrunnen, plenty of walker-specific trails, etc etc) and loads of lovely mountain-top restaurants which can be reached by non-skiers.
snow conditions
boabski wrote:
the staff... even remebered us from the previous year ......................................nudity in saunas

Maybe that's why they remembered you! Shocked
snow report
Neilski, you didn't comment on your planned date? Makes a difference. Sounds a great trip; your son's a lucky boy.
ski holidays
pam w, departing 21/2/2008 to 28/2/2008 for one week, after uk half terms, but seems like there is a german half term after ours, so may have to go a week later

Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Neilski, French school hols go through to the end of the first week in March. If you decide on Courchevel the second week in March would be an optimum time to visit. Given that you want this to be really special, nicer to have more room on the slopes!
ski holidays
Neilski, Yeah, but I think that co-incides with Sweedish half term wink Was in St Anton a couple of years ago the same week and full of the most incredible looking people I have seen - all scandos. The boys I normally go away with are going that week and have had to book rooms pretty quickly as they were starting to run out. Off to Stuben the wc 28th so I'm missing the boys trip Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
you may miss the boys trip boabski, but there can't be too many better reasons than a holiday in Stuben am Arlberg??????????
snow conditions
Haven't been to Wengen yet but have skied in the other three. Stayed in Hotel Alex in Zermatt for our 25th w/a and got through lots of money. Stunning scenery dominated by Matterhorn, interesting town to wander around, shop, etc. easy access up the mountain for non-skier to join you for lunch at superb mountain resaurants. Courchevel 1850 has great skiing but we found it to be a rip off on the mountain. 1550/1650 were better value. Lech is our favourite though and we have just booked to go back in a couple of weeks time. Oberlech is actually on the slopes. Superb food at Montana and the Burgwald. Whole area is friendly -not cheap but good value. Well linked by ski buses locally and into St.Anton.
snow conditions
Neilski wrote:
pam w, departing 21/2/2008 to 28/2/2008 for one week, after uk half terms, but seems like there is a german half term after ours, so may have to go a week later

Evil or Very Mad

German holidays are staggered by region, but IIRC that week is Bavaria and also Belgium and the southern half of Netherlands, all predominantly Catholic areas (it's Carnival, Fasching, start of Lent week).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lech, Zermatt and Wengen would meet your criteria being nice towns but Courchevel is split into smaller satellite resorts non of which would keep a non skier happy for very long. There are a lot of wealthy visitors to Lech (lots of fur coats like Zermatt). You can find the best hotels for any resort by searching the resorts webistes. Courchevel 1850 has been taken over by our Russian friends.

In Oberlech (a gondola takes you onto the mountain above Lech) the Hotel Goldener Berg is where Princess Di used to go and has a nice restaurant. In St Christoph a short bus ride from St Anton towards Lech & Zurs is the Hospitz Alm which has a lovely restaurant with the best wine cellar in the Austrian Tirol if not all of the Alps.

The other two options are Val D'Isere and St Anton. The only problem with Val is that it is hosting the Alpine Skiing World Champs from 3 - 15 Feb and may be full.

In Val the non skier can get to The Signal restaurant at the top of the Le Fornet cable car (there's a very small very exclusive restaurant above the cheaper one at ground level). The non skier gets a free bus to Le Fornet. Also at the top of the La Daille Gondola there is the Fruitiere Restaurant another gourmet experience in the same building as the cheap Folie Douce Restaurant. You should book these because they are popular. Another nice restaurant you could meet your non skier is L'Arolay just below the main road entering Le Fornet, you can ski down to meet them.

Isn't Ischgl too small.
latest report
I've not been to Lech, bt have skied the other three. I would rule out Courchevel for the non-skiers. Wengen probably has the most options for them, but Zermatt is better skiing and more visually stunning (although Wengen isn't too bad!!)
ski holidays
welshflyer,

Quote:

Isn't Ischgl too small.

Not according to the published data

Resort ---------------------------- Total length of piste
St Anton/Lech/Zurs ------------- 280km
Zermatt/Cervinia ---------------- 150km
Wengen/First & Murren --------- 213km
Ischgl/Samnaun ---------------- 235km
Courchevel (part of 3 Vallees) - 600km

My personal experience confirms the figures are about right.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 18-11-08 20:32; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
welshflyer wrote:
LCourchevel 1850 has been taken over by our Russian friends.

I see that statement a lot, and I have to say it's fairly meaningless to me. You hear a lot of different languages in Courchevel, mostly French, a lot of Brits, some Russian, what I assume is German/Austrian, a little bit of Italian and some North American then a sprinkling of others. It certainly doesn't feel like an outpost of the Moscow Millionaires Club. I fully accept that some of the 5* hotels and the eye-wateringly plush chalets might have a higher number of visitors from Russia but as I don't frequent those places I couldn't say for certain. But as a regular tourist in Courchevel it doesn't feel like it has been taken over by any nationality.
ski holidays
Neilski wrote:
just started planning a luxury trip for febuary next year, and have so far come up with a short list of ;

1/ lech
2/ zermatt
3/ wengen
4/ courchevel

our main criteria is obviously the quality of the skiing, but also as one of our party is a non-skier, we need a resort that is convienent and has a good sized town with plenty of off slope activites, and an oppertunity to meet on the mountian for lunch etc.
so any thoughts on these or other resorts, would be most welcome, along with any suggestions for 4/5 star hotels.
this trip is as reward promised to my son for getting a 1st in his degree earlier this year(from a very proud dad Laughing )

St Moritz.

No competition.

Enjoy.
snow report
thanks for all comments and advice, have decided on lech/oberlech on the 28th feb for 7 nights, and have found availability at three hotels, all on half board at a decent rate,so need to decide on village or slopeside hotel,
below are the three available hotels, the montana comes highly recommended by boabski, does anyone have any experience of the other two ???

lech the alberg
oberlech the montana
oberlech the goldenerburg

so now just have to sort out whether to fly into zurich or innsbruck,from manchester, i have used innsbruck for ischgl , but the better flights seem to be to zurich, any thoughts on which is the best transfer would be greatly appreciated

Very Happy
snow report
Neilski, We've stayed in 'The Arlberg' and it is wonderful - excellent food. If you want real luxury, ask for a suite!
We've also stayed in 'The Hotel Salome' which is just fabulous - not as expensive as the Arlberg and a little less formal. I actually prefer the Salome. This Jan. we're staying in 'Hotel Post' which is a Relais and Chateaux hotel and reputedly the best hotel in Lech.
Fly into Innsbruck and ask the hotel to arrange private transfers for you. We usually take 'Der Lecher' and it will cost you 200 euros each way for a taxi - takes just over an hour.
It is nice to meet up for lunch in Oberlech or Zurs wherever you stay.
snow conditions
Megeve snowHead
latest report
For your non skier the hotel in Lech would be better because that's where the majority of coffe shops, nice shops etc are. The non skier can easily get the lift up to Oberlech to meet you for lunch in the restaurants like the Goldener Berg which I have already recommended which is on your short list.

Have you seen the website "www.goldenerberg.at".

Have a great time I'm sure you will.

A tip - if there is a group of 6 to 8 of you it's as cheap to get a taxi to St Christoph or St Anton as it is to catch the public bus.
snow report
Neilski, The Montana is excellent, and you normally get to meet Patrick Ortleib at the champagne reception they have on a Sunday. The Sonnenburg and the Burg do look like they have slightly better spa facilities, but I prefer the homlier feel to the Montana. Innsbruck better gateway, thanks to a couple of new tunnels on the main road - should only take you 1hr 20/30min. You can book the Lecher, which we have done in the past but it's much cheaper using www.innsbruck-taxi.com or this lot http://www.rietzler-reisen@aon.at, which we're using for our trip to Stuben (the very same week) - if you need any more info, give me a shout.
latest report
Heard good things about the Hotel Krone in Lech. http://www.romantikhotelkrone-lech.at/ Lech would fit your requirements nicely. The Zurserhof is probably even better, but not much to do in Zurs for the non-skier.
snow conditions
Also, the Salome has fabulous spa facilites, better than the Arlberg - although the Arlberg does have a swimming pool.

Seems everyone has their favourites in Lech. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy