Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Megeve

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I'm planning a trip to Megeve just after Christmas, driving from the UK.

Do I need any special additions for the car in the way of snow chains etc & has anyone got any tips for a route.

Thanks

BeerRock
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snow chains, bulb kit, hi vis vest, calais, Reims, Troyes, Dijon, Geneva, Sallanche, Megeve................................and search!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
okay, thanks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BeerRock Welcome to Snowheads

Driving to resorts is a topic that gets covered repeatedly on here which is probably why Marcellus response was accurate but a little terse..have a look at the following discussions which may be useful

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=12036&highlight=vests+france&start=0

For everything you dont want to know about snowchains: -

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=44568&highlight=snow+chains&start=0

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1068530&highlight=snow+chains#1068530

The AA provides guidance on things you need when driving abroad - http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/countrybycountry.html and select 'france'

the big news is that hi-vis vests for the driver are now compulsory in france together with warning triangles - this thread covers it and provides more useful diriving advice http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=41048&highlight=vests+france&start=0

I would look to book your channel crossing very soon due to the double whammy of the tunnel only being 1/2 open, and speedferries going titsup getting a crossing on the 26th or 27th dec at short notice may prove to be diffcult.

Enjoy Megeve
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BeerRock, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh and plan an overnight stay, a quick dash isn't worht the tiredness risk, unless there are a few of you driving.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
twoodwar wrote:
Oh and plan an overnight stay, a quick dash isn't worht the tiredness risk, unless there are a few of you driving.

I disagree, 8 hours calais to megeve....easily doiable without riskk
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marcellus wrote:
twoodwar wrote:

Indeed - unless the roads are closed due to weather, traffic etc.
Or you break down
Or you have kids in the car who need a break

Horses for courses - I used to drive in one go, perfectly fine. But with kids I now prefer to spread the journey
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BeerRock, I have driven to Megeve many times. The resort is low and I have never needed chains there. There is a good bus service to get around so you may not need the car that much. The drive is easy, often done it solo, 8 hours if conditions are ok, my best is 6 hours 40 minutes from Calais 525 miles.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well have driven 30,000 plus miles a year for 20 years. Too many accidents seen. fortunately nothing but a bump myself. Far more enjoyable putting a stop in though in my opinion, as have always taken children. Its an individual choice obviously, but after a full days driving (I live in Liverpool so the trip to Dover has taken longer than the trip in France), if you can stop close to the resort and cheap, you put your ski gear on in the Hotel, drive the last hour to the resort, buy liftpass, and Ski. If you get their in the morning after an overnight drive,(I have also done this), you cant check in, you are too knackerred to ski and enjoy it, - so no real gain. You pays your money and takes your choice!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris wrote:
marcellus wrote:
twoodwar wrote:

Indeed - unless the roads are closed due to weather, traffic etc.
Or you break down
Or you have kids in the car who need a break

Horses for courses - I used to drive in one go, perfectly fine. But with kids I now prefer to spread the journey

would take you a bit longer by this means of travel Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
if you can start near Dover/folkestone/calais even with children and dogs (who are worse than children in their needs for pee stops and getting bored) Calais to Megeve in a day is not a problem...you arrive in time for dinner...............we do it every time we do the route.............which as we live 20/25miles from Megeve is quite often!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As you live there you wouldn't want to stop. I wouldnt want to stop in Warrigton, 10 miles from home either. As long as you are not driving on the Autoroute blanche on Saturday at half term at 10mph
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dunk wrote:
BeerRock, I have driven to Megeve many times. The resort is low and I have never needed chains there. There is a good bus service to get around so you may not need the car that much. The drive is easy, often done it solo, 8 hours if conditions are ok, my best is 6 hours 40 minutes from Calais 525 miles.

I have been caught there 3 times over the years needing to put chains on to continue a journey to Les Saisies - the last time it happened we left Saisies to go down to Sallanches, was drizzling in the valley and on return up from the hypermarche, it was gunning down by Combloux, took refuge in the Princess gondola lift station undercover carpark to fit the chains while the driver of a BMW 525 decided to hold all the traffic up by trying to snake up the main road...I think he went about 50 yds from where we left him before it slithered off the road and got stuck rolling eyes rolling eyes

simple sums...rear wheel drive+snow-minus snowchains and any intelligence=large queue of frustrated drivers and inevitable loss of car control snowHead

Avoid late afternoons or early-ish morning on changeover days as the road up from Sallanches is very very busy, other than that, no real nightmares and easily do-able in a day, though overnight in or around dijon and with a lazy saturday am breakfast should have u there between the traffic.

Cheers
David
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I have never needed chains there

well I have, like David. Even if you have driven, say, 3 times to Megeve that's just a sample of 6 days. You don't often need chains there, but if you do hit bad weather you could find them absolutely essential. And a car is useful in Megeve for driving to different areas, to save waiting for buses, making it that much more likely you'll need them. Pray that you do - because that will mean fantastic snow conditions.

You'll also need things to stick on headlights, to deflect the beams. High vis jackets. Warning triangle, spare light bulbs, first aid kit, all your car documents (Megeve is actually the only place I've ever been caught in a police roadblock thing when they were checking documents). The above are legally required. But it's a really easy drive. Whether you need an overnight stop will depend on where and when you start from the UK, your own preferences and the traffic on the day. If you spend 6 hours on a snowy motorway crawling from Reims down to Dijon (unlikely but I can personally confirm that it's entirely possible!) you'll want to stop. Have a great trip snowHead
ski holidays
Thanks all

Am traveling from Reading & I guessed it was drivable in a day but decided on an overnight stop in Reims anyway.

Ferry booked and if anyone needs a tip, Seafrance wanted £150 for the return leg of the ferry (Calais to Dover) if booked as part of a return trip but only 119 euros if booked separately as a one way trip.

So, all booked & ready to check out Megeve

Thanks again
snow report
BeerRock, I've driven to Megève a couple of times (out of about 25 visits). As others have said, you'll be unlikely to fit chains, but you just can't take the chance of doing without.

Where are you staying? Let us know if you have other any other questions about Megève - I have quite a few answers by now! snowHead
ski holidays
BeerRock wrote:
Thanks all

Am traveling from Reading & I guessed it was drivable in a day but decided on an overnight stop in Reims anyway.

Ferry booked and if anyone needs a tip, Seafrance wanted £150 for the return leg of the ferry (Calais to Dover) if booked as part of a return trip but only 119 euros if booked separately as a one way trip.

So, all booked & ready to check out Megeve

Thanks again

Have you booked your stop in Reims yet? If not, personally speaking 3hrs from Dijon rather than 4.5 from Reims makes the next days drive much nicer having done it a few times. Getting onto the A39 and then seeing the Jura then the Alps on the Horizon always seemed mentally nicer after breakfast. You'll hit Reims in about 2hrs-ish from getting off the boat and i'd suspect you might want to be further down the road.

Feel free to ignore just my 2p having trawled back and forth from blazingjoke... Embarassed
Cheers
David
snow report
BeerRock, Have you booked a return ferry? if you book a cheap day return and don't turn up for the inbound leg, the ferry companies can fine you.
ski holidays
BeerRock, Can I also suggest that you do travel further than Reims before you stop. As others have mentioned it will make the next day more practical. I have to travel from Manchester so i all ready have a long journey before France. I now always get as far into France as I can and certainly Dijon or beyond.
IMHO, chains are a must have (even if you dont use them) , but like pam w said, snow or ice can interupt your travel well before the alps. Let us know how you get on.
ski holidays
Another vote for getting as far as you can before stopping. But I try to avoid booking overnight accommodation - you might hit heavy fog and want to stop sooner, or you could be feeling good for another few hours. If you are travelling on "big" day you might need to book (e.g. on the Friday at the start of half term it's vital) but there are loads of places and I've not yet ended up sleeping in the car. I usually start looking for a room around 9pm - but I did once have to head into Dijon (on a journey north) because of really scary fog.
snow report
Chains needed most for the passage over the Jura rather than around the resort, but agree that they are worth carrying. Also a vote for stopping nearer to Beaune than to Reims, weather permitting (Troyes at least, possibly Langres if on the A5).
latest report
Hi

Reason for the stop in Reims is that I've got time both days to "spare" Docking at Calais about 16:00 so I guess Reims by 18:30 (will need beer by then!) & the rest of the party, who are flying don't land until 14:00 the next day, so a 5 odd our drive & we should meet up about the same time.

laundryman - Not sure where we're staying - I'll find out & let you know - all suggestions welcome!

youspurs1 - No returns booked - just two one way tickets

Cheers

BR
snow report
Quote:

the passage over the Jura

the Jura route is more interesting than the motorway but it does tend to take a bit longer and is certainly not a good idea in snowy weather unless you're a glutton for punishment.
latest report
Quote:

the passage over the Jura

the Jura route is more interesting than the motorway but it does tend to take a bit longer and is certainly not a good idea in snowy weather unless you're a glutton for punishment.

Does the A40 section between Bourg and Geneva not count as the Jura? Very Southern edge I know, but where I have been most held up by sliding lorries.
ski holidays
Quote:

you put your ski gear on in the Hotel, drive the last hour to the resort, buy liftpass, and Ski.

I find my skis a bit cumbersome to drive in and my goggles often steam up too...

Take chains or winter tires; otherwise the trip becomes a chore if the conditions become wintry which we hope that they will.
ski holidays
Quote:

Does the A40 section between Bourg and Geneva not count as the Jura?

Yes, I suppose it does! Never thought of it as that, though, as we quite often drive over on the route which goes more directly up from Geneva and goes higher. The Autoroute des Titans - between Bourg and Geneva - can certainly feel quite hairy in bad weather, though so far we've never had to use chains. Incidentally it's worth stopping at the "aire" which has an exhibition about the building of that road - very impressive and interesting, even to a non-engineer. Makes you appreciate the expertise which went in to enabling us to shift along there at 110 kph (much of it doesn't allow 130). You could certainly need chains in Megeve itself at times, especially if your accommodation is up a bit of a side-road. But the town itself is low enough that it wouldn't be too often.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Makes you appreciate the expertise which went in to enabling us to shift along there at 110 kph (much of it doesn't allow 130). You could certainly need chains in Megeve itself at times, especially if your accommodation is up a bit of a side-road. But the town itself is low enough that it wouldn't be too often.

I always look forward to that section, and marvel at the setting and engineering.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman, have you seen the exhibition? It's worth a look. But the off-motorway trip over the Jura is also very pleasant, in good weather.
snow conditions
pam w, I haven't. I'd like to do both of those. However, I'm not a popular person when I suggest driving to the Alps. Sad
latest report
If this is your first visit to megeve then do think about a scenic flight from megeve altiport, after this weekend the fleet of aircraft will be on skis to operate from their base. It might be at odds with maximum time on the slopes, but if you take a couple of hours out first thing in the morning on a day with good weather then the sights are stunning.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy