Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where shall I do my ski season?????

Poster: A snowHead
My plan is to do a ski season for 4 months in Europe but I have one problem...I have never been skiing hence I need your help!

First step... Where to go? My criteria are:-
A well rounded place which offers good skiing for beginners through to advanced (something I hope to achieve at the end of 4 months)

A place where the après ski is brilliant and varied.

A place that offers more than just skiing and has culture and is a pleasant place to be for 4 months.
The rumours are Val d’sere and St Anton fit my criteria.

Second Step...Accommodation
This is a big determining factor of my trip. I need a flat for 4 months which is not too expensive. Once I get a short list for ‘Where to go’ then getting the accommodation arranged for any place in that list will determine where I go. I would prefer for it to be a studio/one bedroom.

Third Step (Optional) .....Work?
I would like to work a couple of days a week (bar work/hotel work/transfers) and would like some advice/tips/websites on how about to do this. I am sure I could just go out there and chat around but any advice prior to my departure would be appreciated.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Livethedream24, good luck on taking the chance. if you're serious about it, you may wanna also check out the natives.co.uk or seasonnaires.co.uk websites (not sure of the spelling of the second one) for advice, accommodation and job availability. others will be along shortly to give their advice/express their jealousy/etc. soon enough. snowHead

otoh, if you're trolling... Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Livethedream24, Welcome Cool Someone will be along shortly to help but a great idea, am very envious. Cool
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Livethedream24, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Accommodation in both Val d'Isere and St Anton is about as pricey as it gets. Don't know about St Anton, but I haven't seen anything which could be described as 'culture' in Val d'Isere. Laughing

If you're after part time work the best thing to do is ask in resort when you arrive - plenty of Saturday cleaning, transfer repping etc, but stuff advertised before the season starts tends to be full time. You will find more expertise on the work front on www.natives.co.uk than you will on here.

If you were to ask me for resort recommendations I would give you 2Alpes, Alpe d'Huez, Serre Chevalier in that order. I am, however, biased because I live here.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard wrote:
I haven't seen anything which could be described as 'culture' in Val d'Isere. Laughing
Haven't been there myself, but it certainly sounds like there's a drinking culture in Val D...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PS.

Welcome to snowHead Livethedream24.

I'd probably steer clear of both Val D and St Anton - as already mentioned they are both expensive resorts (even by ski resort standards). They've also got a lot of skiing geared towards experts, and not so much for the beginner - they're not usually recommended as a good place to start skiing.

Les Arcs might be a reasonable option - large resort with a lot for all levels of skiers. If you're not working much you also have the option of living in Bourg St Maurice at the base of the mountain which is a town, and much cheaper (accom and food/drink) than the villages/developments further up the slopes. Don't worry though, it still has a lift though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skisimon wrote:
PS.

Welcome to snowHead Livethedream24.

Les Arcs might be a reasonable option - large resort with a lot for all levels of skiers. If you're not working much you also have the option of living in Bourg St Maurice at the base of the mountain which is a town, and much cheaper (accom and food/drink) than the villages/developments further up the slopes. Don't worry though, it still has a lift though.

which is nearly where I ended up having run through a list of criteria not dis-similar to your own, although without the need to go dancing on the tables til 4 in the morning (too old!). Good advice on this thread, Natives still have some private apartment rents availale - http://www.natives.co.uk/travel/lets/private.htm including some in bourg, les arcs, tignes etc. Costs between 3 and 8K depending on location, property, resort. Factor in another £750 for your lift pass and another £250 for your insurance and they'll you be ball parking the budget.

In terms of working then I think you need to get out there sooner rather than later and smile and walk around and ask people a lot. Can be worht checking noticeboards (e.g. Super U or Trading Post in BSM)

PM me if you need any further info (under the snowhead logo click send/receive messages)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE! Welcome to snowheads! Personally I'd ignore all the advice on here so far. Not that its not good advice at all, but more because I think I know what you'd like more.

St Anton or Val d'Isare are perfect for you. They are slightly more expensive compared to smaller resorts or less well known resorts but you are only there for 4 months and you are a hot shot city banker so money is not an issue.

St Anton has amazing night life, my mate did a season there and she loved it, plus she's super hot so I hold her recommendation in high regard. Val d'Isare has an AWESOME ski area and would be ideal for a begginner, its so big there is a nice mix of slopes there although the night life is defo better in St Anton.

I think my season as a ski bum last year in Tignes cost me about £12k roughly, you are only going for 4 months, do like your username says and LIVE THE DREAM!!!

Alternatively you could come and share my place in Whistler until you find somewhere of your own! There would be plenty for you to do out there Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Livethedream24, welcome to SHs. Chamonix ticks all your boxes and is as cheap as it gets.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Livethedream24, Have been to both and St Anton IMO rocks. Val pobably edges it on the skiing, but only just. St Anton is just amazing for the apres.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Livethedream24 wrote:
My plan is to do a ski season for 4 months in Europe but I have one problem...I have never been skiing hence I need your help!

First step... Where to go? My criteria are:-
A well rounded place which offers good skiing for beginners through to advanced (something I hope to achieve at the end of 4 months)

A place where the après ski is brilliant and varied.

A place that offers more than just skiing and has culture and is a pleasant place to be for 4 months.
The rumours are Val d’sere and St Anton fit my criteria.

Second Step...Accommodation
This is a big determining factor of my trip. I need a flat for 4 months which is not too expensive. Once I get a short list for ‘Where to go’ then getting the accommodation arranged for any place in that list will determine where I go. I would prefer for it to be a studio/one bedroom.

Third Step (Optional) .....Work?
I would like to work a couple of days a week (bar work/hotel work/transfers) and would like some advice/tips/websites on how about to do this. I am sure I could just go out there and chat around but any advice prior to my departure would be appreciated.

Thanks

Where to go - head for a resort in a large ski area, as this will allow you to progress (eg 3 Valleys, Paradski, Espace Killy)

Accommodation & work - I can give you some pointers on Tignes, if that's where you're going.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Try somewhere that has some good amenities in the region and avoid the purpose built mountain resorts as they can get pretty claustrophobic.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not sure which one it is but one of the big TO's is offering work at the weekend a(airport work) and have the rest of the week off. They give you accom and a lift pass (I think). It may have been Neilson so have a look at the staff wanted page on the site and see if it is what you are looking for.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all your responses.

After reading all your responses i am still left slightly confused about Step One...Where to go?

I basically need an all round type of place. In priority order; Culture (a good place to be/good living/a good mix of people and not just all british/good chill out places/ villages/resorts to go to nearby), Skiing (beginners through to advanced...i am a quicker learner so should progress quickly), apres ski and money (there is a budget but slightly higher than your average).....and hot girls would also be a bonus (just being honest) wink

I read an article that stated Aspen, Zermatt and Val D were well-rounded types of places. However, I have also heard that Val doesnt contribute to my Culture category....to many brits. Many people have said St Anton ticks all the boxes and has lots to do nearby. At the moment this seems to be my first choice. But still keeping and open mind

So can anyone help with accomodation in St.Anton and work?
snow report
Livethedream24, I think you do need a place with plenty of Brits. I've always found it easier to find work abroad if there are lot's of Brit workers about. Even if it's only for the first few weeks. It could also be to your advantage regarding free ski lessons as I've always found that if you make friends with Brit ski Instructors, they are by far more likely to offer free advice or offer to take you skiing with free lessons thrown in.

As regarding resorts have a look at Kitzbuhel or Soll.
snow report
Livethedream24, PS not much culture in Soll
ski holidays
Livethedream24, the general view seems to be that there is a deep and serious shortage of girls of any description in St Anton (let alone "hot" ones).

What do you mean by "culture"?

I would have thought Chamonix might suit your requirements pretty well.
ski holidays
Livethedream24 wrote:
Thanks for all your responses.

After reading all your responses i am still left slightly confused about Step One...Where to go?

I basically need an all round type of place. In priority order; Culture (a good place to be/good living/a good mix of people and not just all british/good chill out places/ villages/resorts to go to nearby), Skiing (beginners through to advanced...i am a quicker learner so should progress quickly), apres ski and money (there is a budget but slightly higher than your average).....and hot girls would also be a bonus (just being honest) wink

I read an article that stated Aspen, Zermatt and Val D were well-rounded types of places. However, I have also heard that Val doesnt contribute to my Culture category....to many brits. Many people have said St Anton ticks all the boxes and has lots to do nearby. At the moment this seems to be my first choice. But still keeping and open mind

So can anyone help with accomodation in St.Anton and work?

I'll fess up to being between 35 & 40 and am heading out for my first season as per post above. Not working as don't need to and really want to maximisie my time on slope and technique as need to improve both skiing and boarding. Downsides are that it'll be harder to get to know people a finding skiing buddies. Apres Ski I'll take it or leave it, and 150 nights on the fizzy sherberts and I'd probably roll down the mountain. I've skied about 14 resorts across mainly Austria and France but with a bit of Italy and Switzerland.

I've ended up with choosing Peisey-Vallandry in Les Arcs - why well it's a big domain (2nd really to 3valleys) there's a good mix of slopes, good ski-schools and it's not completely over-run with brits, oh and I managed to find a 1/2 decent flat (I hope!) but without paying Val D'isere prices so the couple of k I've saved ther I'm spending on a mixture of kit and lessons. Plus I'm hoping (perhaps in jest) that as not quite 'top drawer' e.g. verbier, Val D'isere, Zermatt, Courchevel then on slope prices / apres will be a smidge cheaper. It's also probably only 20 minutes down to bourg to get to a town with a proper supermarket and a few other bits and bobs. Oh and there's a few snowheads around that I hope I'll meet with in due course and share a few runs and beers.

Having done St. Anton twice I would say that if you're under 30 then it's a good as place as any but not target rich unless you're a chick. It's not the easiest place to learn from a complete begineer - ok nursery slope but hard to progress, so get on the postbus to Lech once you need to push your boundaries a little more. Personally I would avoid the most 'glam' resorts verbier, Val D'isere, Zermatt, Courchevel as that'll reduce the cost a little and less likely to be stuffed full of russkis..

Other 'classic' ski-bum destinations really are Tignes and Val Thorens..
snow conditions
Quote:
...and you are a hot shot city banker so money is not an issue.

Surely was a hot shot city banker wink Skullie

Bro did his season in Fernie. Loved it. Not too pricey out there either (although CND is a lot stronger now)
snow conditions
Quote:

(a good place to be/good living/a good mix of people and not just all british/good chill out places/ villages/resorts to go to nearby), Skiing (beginners through to advanced...i am a quicker learner so should progress quickly), apres ski and money (there is a budget but slightly higher than your average).....and hot girls would also be a bonus (just being honest)

Oisans area or Serre Chevalier. Plenty of Anglophone casual work as well. Can't vouch for the hot girls thing though. Laughing
snow report
if you thinking about Val or St A..then don't hang around here too long..

Both would suit but there will be loads like you..if that is what you want, then fine
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy