Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sat Nav question

Poster: A snowHead
I'm tempted by a Sat-Nav for our trip to Europe now they are under a £100. The Garmin 205t looks good, except that our car does not have a cigarette lighter and it looks like the battery life is only 4 or 5 hours.

Does anyone have any suggestions for one with a longer battery life, or some other way of recharging the unit while it's still navigating (from a laptop maybe, but apparently not the Garmin ?)

Cheers

David
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
david@mediacopy, .... I am a Tom-Tom kinda guy ... Laughing

.... and found the 720 series the best ... I purchased one a year or two ago for the particular experience of navigating gay Paris ....

.. absolutely top class .... pre-programmed with maps .... plug and play ... Very Happy

If you don't have any 12V power on board, perhaps consider a low-cost solar thingy ... although the battery in the 720 seems to last for 8hours + ...

Where are you gravitating to this Winter ... ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BernardC, We've been lost in Paris Embarassed hence thinking about one. Off to the Aosta Valley (so at least we'll mis out Paris !). I'll check out the solar charger option - could be an idea.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
david@mediacopy, By a Disco you get sat nav free Toofy Grin Toofy Grin . Joking aside using sat nav now for the first time and am sold on it. Like you we got horribly lost in Paris 2 years ago, but last month the Disco sat nav took me ot the door no issues. Cool. Its just handy to have, mine also alerts me to upcoming traffic problems, saved me a 14 mile shut down M5 recently, sat nav took me to my meeting by back roads and even alerted me well before the closed roadway. Now thats technology at its best.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
david@mediacopy wrote:
We've been lost in Paris Embarassed hence thinking about one. Off to the Aosta Valley (so at least we'll mis out Paris !).

Just head for Mont Blanc - you can't miss it!! wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Even if your car does not have a lighter socket it probably has one marked 12v maybe in the glove box, what do you drive?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
why dont you go to halfords and buy a cigarrette socket and fit it yourself. Only Two wires to connect one direct to the metal work of the car and another from a 12volt supply, job done!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
daveqpr, 's a good suggestion if you definitely don't have one in the vehicle ..... do add an 'in-line fuse holder' though, that you can readily access .... don't want an early bonfire ... Laughing

Halfords can actually fit them for you .... for a consideration no doubt ... Toofy Grin If you haven'y bought the SAT-NAV yet, they might do the whold package for a good deal.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We'll be travelling over in a very full Panda. I'll have a poke around today and see if I can find one. Halfords seemed helpful yesterday so I'll pop back in and see if they can help.

Our problem in Paris came about from not following the 'Plan'. It was a tad stressful at the time Skullie
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
david@mediacopy, ... if you have a roof rack on the Panda .... DON'T overload it .... !!!

I have seen the results of a Panda with an overloaded roof rack .... and it wasn't pretty ... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
david@mediacopy, just be careful about winter road closures. Ours (before it learned better) tried to route us over the summer road to Champoluc from St Vincent.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BernardC, Just ski's on the rack. Heavy stuff on the floor.

David Murdoch, nasty. Once we're there I'll be fairly happy to navigate old style. It's really just the route down and finding our overnight stop in Reims.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Im currently halfway though France using a garmin nuvi 250 bought from amazon, and i'm not lost yet. Think they are about £80 - 90 at the minute Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
freestyleandy, ... how do you know you're not lost ... if you're only half way there ... ? .... Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

just be careful about winter road closures. Ours (before it learned better) tried to route us over the summer road to Champoluc from St Vincent.

I concur with this wholeheartedly. Year before last my TomTom took me through the Mont Blanc tunnel when I was trying to get from Geneva to Tignes. Trying to get back through the summer pass I was informed by a bemused Carabinieri that this was not a road it was a piste. Just added about 4 hours to a two hour journey.
ski holidays
I would go for a Gamin Nuvi- very good. The other thing that is worth considering is the fact that you can also get resort and slope maps for the Garmin! A bit expensive for the maps but if you are interested:-

http://www.mountaindynamics.com/en/europe-sets.php 40 Euros a European resort.

The Garmin uses a standard mini USB so there are all sorts of ways of charging- cigarette lighter or if you are patient enough and get enough sun where you are going I think the solio will work as well.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy