Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Socks, how much difference do they make?

Poster: A snowHead
I've always thought of socks as more of a warmth issue than a comfort issue. But last season I found I had to wear compression socks rather than the usual thick 'ski tube' type (swollen legs issue). I thought I'd suffer from cold feet (snigger) but luckily there was only one really cold day and the glühwein soon warmed me up. As for comfort, they were fine...

So this season I'm looking for socks that do both. Do they exist? Are these 'technical' type socks better than the thick socks in terms of comfort and support? This season I also have the issue of new boots to break in, so I suspect comfy socks will be a must. Any advice?

I assume there is probably already a thread about this, but I typed 'socks' in the search thing and it went crazy! Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
people like smartwool, do 'technical' socks and offer different levels of padding and thickness..I've originally had a thick padded option as I thought of the warming element, but have found that light low padded or non padded ones are more comfortable and offer better fit with my boots.

if you haven't laready bought your new boots, see if the shop has decent socks and se if you can try the different ones when fitting your boots, then get them to throw in the socks as part of the the deal
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
queen bodecia,

Another vote for Smartwool - check out their website

https://www.smartwool.com/default.cfm
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen bodecia, For the ladies. What brand do you think the red hot chillip peppers are using?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Practically anything is better than those ridiculous tube things. Far too much bulk for the warmth they provide and inevitable rubbing bits round the ankles where they fold because there's no proper heel. Rubbish!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia, I've looked at socks, you can spend huges amounts £20-£30 a pair Shocked However, last year I bought Lidls ski socks and Tchibo's walking socks and was really pleased with both for each sport - they might be worth a look. They both seemed to do the thick and thin where you needed it thing.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen bodecia, .... Smartwool .... absolutely superb. Shop around though as they can be pricey. I bought seven pairs 'at a very good price' .. Very Happy .. and used them one a day, in rotation for all of last season. Actually fewer pairs would have sufficed as they dry really quickly. I also now use them whilst Captaining my Ship ... Laughing .... well boat really ... Laughing

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 14-11-08 15:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Comfort is the main thing, IMV and a fitted sock is better than a tube...I think a small degree of padding helps as well on the soles and shins.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia, you thick spongy boot liner will keep your feet warm.
If they still get cold then you're not working hard enought - or you've forgotten to put your hat on.
(Old adage: if you want warm feet, put a hat on)

You want thin ("technical") socks. All ski tube type socks should be consigned to the dust bin.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Those Smartwool socks look great, but a bit pricey. I daresay I could get away with 3 pairs for a week's skiing...

P.S. Anthony Kiedis, yummy! Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen bodecia, I use three pairs for a weeks skiing, no sweat wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
plus side being smart wool they don't smell, sop you could in theory use them for longer as I found out when half my luggague didn't turn up for 4 days one trip last season
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Falke SK2s are basically reasonably thin but with padding where you need it. Again not cheap but the only ones I've found that don't shrink in the wash (nothing worse than sock elastic stuck half way down your calf). I have 4 pairs in total but could get away with 3 and that's with skiing most weekends and some full weeks in the winter.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the bad news for the smartwool lovers out there is they will not be as available as they once were.... timberland own the company and are slowly de-teching the socks to fit in with their lifestyle range the good ones which remain are still stocked but a lot of shops jumped ship when the distribution changed last january...look at www.tekosocks.com for an alternative....as good a sock same prce or less
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
icebreaker also got some ski socks..but not easy to track down in UK...

whats it with timberland buying everyone up..they bought Howies recentlyish aswell.
ski holidays
CEM, You can buy tekosocks online here

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 14-11-08 17:38; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
X-socks and Falke are my faves....
ski holidays
So technical socks are the way forward. Great. Do they offer any form of 'compression' or may I need to take compression socks too just in case my legs are too swollen to fit in my boots?

Also, has anyone any experience of the technical socks they sell in Decathlon? They're a bit cheaper than the Smartwool or Falke ones, but that might be because they're slightly inferior...
snow conditions
We like Smartwool and Falke with Falke taking the edge because they produce L and R sided socks. I can usually manage with 3 pairs for a week, or 5 pairs for a fortnight (so I don't have to wash them every night).
latest report
they're better compression then tubes..probably some out there that do...best to take your compression socks and use them for afterwards
snow report
Falke-SK2 are fantastic and also, like eng_ch says, they don't shrink in the wash. I've got some Smartwools and they definitely felt a bit smaller when I put them on again after washing them (as in the length of them-the top was further down my leg after washing them). Anyway so Falke, yes brilliant, and the L and R socks are good too.

Just bought some SK1 (thicker ones with silk) because they had an offer on at the ski show. Lovely and soft and the usual padding in the right places, could be I will probably prefer the thinner SK2 ones though because you can feel your boots better.

Ski tubes are cr&p.
snow conditions
Yeah those Falke socks are awesome.
snow conditions
CEM wrote:
the bad news for the smartwool lovers out there is they will not be as available as they once were.... timberland own the company and are slowly de-teching the socks to fit in with their lifestyle range the good ones which remain are still stocked but a lot of shops jumped ship when the distribution changed last january...look at www.tekosocks.com for an alternative....as good a sock same prce or less

Don't like the sound of that. Might have to stock pile a few more pairs. I think they're great socks, much better than anything else I've ever tried.
ski holidays
The SK2's are definitely better than the chunkier SK1's (imho). I save the SK1's for really cold days for an extra bit of warmth, but it means a bit of boot buckle tweakery.
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
So technical socks are the way forward. Great. Do they offer any form of 'compression' or may I need to take compression socks too just in case my legs are too swollen to fit in my boots?

Most of the generic skiing Lycra-containing ones (that I'm familiar with) are about 10-18mm Hg, do you need more pressure than that, like 25mm Hg or higher?

http://www.cep-sports.com/CEP_skiing_O2___Comp.8060.0.html

Notice that calf size is an important variable in selecting those.
snow report
andy wrote:
The SK2's are definitely better than the chunkier SK1's (imho). I save the SK1's for really cold days for an extra bit of warmth, but it means a bit of boot buckle tweakery.

Yeah. I haven't tried the SK1's yet (only 2 weeks to go until I can do! Blush ) but they were on a Falke buy two pairs of socks and get one pair free at the NEC ski show. So I bought 2 pairs of SK2s and one pair of SK1's to try them as well. Like you say, they're quite a lot thicker than the SK2's so one for those very cold days for an extra bit of warmth I think.
ski holidays
Another vote for SK2s - both me and Mrs SB use them.
snow report
stoatsbrother, how much compression do they offer?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My first pair of Falkes were SK1s but I got shot of them as soon as I tried the SK2s (had a needy friend so that was good). I wouldn't have thought I skied well enough to tell the difference but there's a definite squishiness about the SK1s
snow conditions
thefatcontroller wrote:
queen bodecia, For the ladies.

Yeah, right! you just happened to have that image as your screen saver! Toofy Grin
latest report
Merino merino merino

Slimmer the better

Glad to know there is a replacement for smartwool, thanks for the heads up.
snow report
Kaiser, the OP needs compression socks.
latest report
oops Embarassed how about merino + gaffer tape?? Puzzled
snow report
Laughing
latest report
comprex, other than pretty basic flight socks compression socks are a presrciption item over herequeen bodecia, go ask your GP
ski holidays
OMG Shocked SOCK NERDING! We call Hurtle a 'pedant'?
ski holidays
comprex, pretty decent compression actually - certainly way better than a tube sock, and she could try using a marginally too small size. But I would have thought that the ski boots and the lower leg muscular activity used in skiing would be the most significant elements in promoting venous and lymphatic drainage, and that the important thing to do would be to get legs up when resting at lunch time and not stand around in bars at the end of the day and get straight into proper class 1 or class 2 compression hosiery then... I suspect those would be too sweaty and uncomfortable during exercise.
ski holidays
Masque, hey, leave me out of this, please. Furthermore, the OP is a serious one. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:
comprex, pretty decent compression actually - certainly way better than a tube sock, and she could try using a marginally too small size. But I would have thought that the ski boots and the lower leg muscular activity used in skiing would be the most significant elements in promoting venous and lymphatic drainage, and that the important thing to do would be to get legs up when resting at lunch time and not stand around in bars at the end of the day and get straight into proper class 1 or class 2 compression hosiery then... I suspect those would be too sweaty and uncomfortable during exercise.

That sounds good enough for me. I don't have full on lymphoedema as such, but having had a lymphadenectomy, lymph drainage is not what it used to be. I amused everyone in every mountain restaurant in Kitz last season by removing my boots and having two chairs, one for my butt and one for my feet!

I don't have prescription compression socks as I haven't needed them so far, so technical ski socks that have some element of compression would probably do fine...

Haven't managed to find any Falke or Smartwool stockists round here though. Two Seasons seem to sell 'Horizon' and Mountain Warehouse and Decathlon only sell their own brands. Anyone any experience of these or should I just bite the bullet and order the real deal over t'internet...?
latest report
You can sometimes strike lucky and find some decent ones in TK Maxx amongst the tat.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy