Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for a Returner

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all

After a gap of what feels like a hundred years (actually around about 30), I finally got back on pair of skis last season. It was like I'd never been away! What's more, I cajoled my partner into joining me, which was a major result, and, to my surprise, he loved it! The upshot was we spent many weekends getting up at the crack of dawn and driving up to either Glencoe or Nevis. We're planning on going back this season of course, but we'd really love to get away as well. The problem is, due to work commitments, we can only do either Christmas week or early April. Don't really want to wait till April, but if there's a reasonable chance of good snow then should we wait? Also, where to go for a beginner who's had about 5 lessons up at the Coe and me who's trying to build on his three silver stars from the Scuola Italiana Sci (I'm sure I've still got that badge somewhere!) and a couple of 1-2-1s last season? We're not fussy about great apres-ski (too old!), but we like good food and somewhere with good instructors for the more mature client snowHead would be great!

All advice welcome guys. Thanks for your help

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 14-11-08 20:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go xmas, then you might even be able to squeeeze in some time in april... Very Happy

theres always some good last minute deals at xmas, so might be worth keeping a look out..as for where to go for beginers, Austrai and Italy or Andorra have plenty to offer..depends on where the nsoew is..others might be better at letting you know which resorts..though claivere\montgenerve is pretty good for snow at hat time and good for beginners, especially if you don't want lively apres ski, also with an option of covering other areas.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Sella Ronda area is quite good, no massive resorts, great Italian food and nice slopes. I personally like Arabba but not too many really easy slopes there but you might view that as a plus as it'll force you to ski reds more quickly. Apres-ski a bit limited but as you say that's not an issue. It's fairly snow-sure. Alternatively why not try Cervinia with the attraction of being able to ski to Zermatt for the day.

Welcome, good luck holiday hunting and most of all have fun !
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're fine at Glencoe & happy on eg The Spring Run, The Wall, any European reds will be fine. Longer but not as difficult! If you are fine in the Canyon or on the Flypaper, then pistes anywhere will be fine. Glencoe is almost 50/50 blues & reds. The Haggis Trap must be one of the most tricky sections of 'blue' anywhere sometimes. You might as well go at Xmas, your local resorts are at their best in April anyway!! Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ct1, go April.
Christmas is always a gamble. The days are short. The weather can be nasty. And the snow conditions often less than ideal. It takes time for a piste to get built up, and the season seems to be starting later and later each year.
April (Easter) in contrast has longer days, better weather, and the piste has built up to give lovely snow conditions.

Go skiing in Scotland over Christmas, and the try the Alps in April. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ct1, Personally I would get some lessons at Bellahouston or Bearsden as I think the insctruction is more one to one than you would get in a 'follow me' which most ski schools abroad tend to do. It's harder to learn on a dry slope so I have found the transition of what I've learnt to snow dead easy.

In terms of where to go, as you know you cannot rely on our conditions, so if skiing in Scotland you really do have to leave it last minute. I'm not 100% convinced that Claviere would be a good choice for you - Montgenevre maybe, but not Claviere. Was there a couple of years ago and not that impressed by it. Montgenevre 5 mins away had much better skiing.

Whilst not my ideal, would somewhere like Les Arcs not fit the bill for you - ie one of the mega French resorts as they tend to have miles of motorway skiing, which is ideal for your level by the sounds of things. Food in France is generally good. Personally I think apres ski is just as important as the skiing itself and I tend to go to the Arlberg region of Austria for this reason. Although I've not been, Zermatt would certainly fit the bill if you want nice food, as would Lech (probably my favourite resort). Some of the resorts in the Dolomites are supposed to be excellent for your standard as is the food - Selva perhaps??

Good luck anyway
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ct1, You will have a better chance of good snow in early April in Europe than you would at Christmas, although both can be good.

Provided you avoid Easter week, April will also be much cheaper and much quieter on the pistes than Christmas would.

Unless I was able to go for several trips (time) and money was no object, I would never go Christmas/New year/last two weeks of Feb or Easter week, if I had any choice of when to take holidays.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Considering the conditions in the pyrenees right now, I 'd say Andorra at Christmas is a fairly safe bet this year...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for your input guys, I'm now more confused than ever Puzzled

No, you've been a great help in weighing up the pros and cons. I think you're leaning slightly towards Christmas, which I am as well. The only prob with that is my OH is reluctant to go away then as he has a terror of enforced jollities, stemming back to an unfortunate Christmas holiday (not snow, sun!) several years ago. With that in mind, if we were to go at Christmas, we would need a smallish resort where we can have a civilised lunch on the day. Or should we go to a chalet? Sorry if I'm muddying the waters even more, but I know from lurking here that I can at least get some trenchantly argued opinions!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ct1, we usually head off at Xmas and as long as you choose a relatively snow sure resort you should be fine unless conditions are truly disastrous... and even then most of them have snowmaking so you'll get something particularly if you pick a higher resort.

As for enforced jollities you'll be safe enough if you free lance it and stay in self-catering accommodation (which is what we usually do) but I'd imagine wherever you are you'll be able to take whatever is on offer or leave it - in my experience it's a different clientele on winter sports holidays than on sun holidays - have had nightmares on the latter but no problems on the former.

I'd also echo the comments about Scottish snow, it's always best in March/April and often pretty poor at Xmas/New Year (always has been contrary to what some doom mongers suggest elsewhere) so you'll have a full season in Scotland to look forward to after you get back from Europe you lucky begger! snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ct1,
Well I'm an April voter. Xmas is more crowded and more expensive in my experience, particularly if you are needing lessons. The pistes are more likely to be icy as well. I have pretty much always had good snow in April. I have heard quite a few tales pf poor snow at xmas(admittedly my own infrequent ventures have been fine).
From Glasgow I would consider going to Edinburgh and flying easy jet to Munich lots of good Austrian resorts in fairly easy reach.

Oh and take Scotlands snow when it is good, although later season tends to be better you can get good early season snow and poor snow at any time.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd suggest booking nothing yet. You should have plenty of choice, as you are quite flexible. If it's looking good towards Christmas (like it was last year.. but isn't always) do a last minute holiday - seeking advice here about what's on offer. You need somewhere with good instruction available. As for "enforced jollity" I don't think you'd find any in a civilised French resort. Christmas Eve is the major celebration, and Christmas Day will be a normal day on the slopes. Go somewhere without too many Brits; those skiing Santas and reindeers on snowboards do get pretty tedious.

Then if it's all a great success, go again in April, as suggested above. But I definitely wouldn't book Christmas yet - there are not many arguments for doing so, really, if there are just two of you.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ct1, I can recommend a fantastic instructor at Glenshee wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Err - guys.... Lots of snow already in the alps - no problem for skiing early, whereas the OP lives in Glasgow. The scottish ski season rarely starts at Xmas (notwithstanding the early opening this year). Ergo they have a reasonable chance of skiing at home in April, but not so much in December. It may be a differenct scenario if you live in the south of england.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for your further input, it's a great help. We're definitely leaning towards Christmas now!

Pam W, I've noticed that there seem to be reductions already on Christmas week from the operators. If we decide to go then do you think it's worth holding out for a little longer before we book? I don't want to be left with no choice! Also, you mention a civilised French resort without too many Brits and good instruction. Any suggestions?
snow conditions
^^ Totally agree - being in Scotland means you have real skiing on your doorstep so the sensible thing to do would be to grab a week in the Alps early, when the snow isn't usually that great in Scotland, and ski the rest of the season locally where conditions can be great later in the season...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 18-11-08 11:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
ct1, yes, sorry, I wasn't very clear. I suggest waiting, and looking for a bargain nearer the time, with better info on snow. You should still find a range of choice - Christmas is less busy than New Year. You could obviously book now for somewhere like Les Deux Alpes, Val Thorens, Tignes, with really high skiing but there'll be a much wider choice if early snowfall is generally good. Maybe you should say a bit more about what kind of resort you are looking for - what kind of facilities, ambiance, etc. Then we could make lots of (probably contradictory snowHead ) suggestions. Would you want private or group lessons?

There is snow around now - but it's too soon to know what the snow cover will be at Christmas in many places. If we knew, we wouldn't be looking at the forecasts and the webcams all the time. wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy