Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone up for end of season in Chamonix?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm cooking up a four-week stay in Chamonix 11 Apr to 9 May.

I have two options:
1. Rent a minute studio apartment (about €1,200 for 4 weeks)
or
2. Rent a larger apartment that sleeps 4 to 6 (about €1,900 for 4 weeks)

Option two is only worth it if I have people to share the apartment and rental cost for some or all of the time. Would any snowHeads be interested in spending a week or two (or even three or four)? I don't want to fill the apartment to the hilt for the entire time, would prefer to share with one or two others but will consider more if you are a small group of 3 people.

I've been looking at these apartments and these, which are either in the town centre or in Chamonix Sud (neither location means much to me at this point).
The apartments are well equipped, appear to be clean and well maintained and not filled with furniture you'd expect to find in a skip. They are also a tad more spacious than many that I have looked at. I will admit to being shocked at how small the French apartments are (have seen some that are 19m² and sleep 4 people)!

As davidof posted on another thread, there's a 35% discount if you buy your season lift pass before 23 November, so if you want to do the entire four weeks you can get a Mont Blanc Unlimited pass for €798 or a Chamonix Le Pass for €545.

I have no gender preference. Age preference 30+

If anyone is interested, PM me.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You might find you've got some stiff competition around here for one of those weeks Wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah but I have a confirmed location Laughing
*runs for cover*
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zero-G wrote:
which are either in the town centre or in Chamonix Sud (neither location means much to me at this point)

Cham sud is great for the bus and only 5 mins from town but can be noisy, probably ok in April, try and get a flat on the outside rather than facing in.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jbob, when you say 'get a flat on the outside rather than facing in' do you mean a flat on the outskirts of the area or one that faces outwards from the apartment building?
I'm not too concerned about the noise - I live in zone 1 in London: constant train, tube, traffic and siren noise (never mind the drunks in the park outside my bedroom window).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Zero-G, yes, the flats in Cham Sud either face onto the square (3 pubs and a nightclub) or outwards, views of the mountains. In Feb its very noisy, with pub crawlers and staggered chucking out times, should not be too bad late season, but it is better to be on the outside given a choice but its your call.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah, yes, in that case I definitely want an apartment that faces away from the square. Thanks for the tip!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zero-G, Nice idea, keep me posted and we might be able to organise some guiding, instruction and equipment testing. And maybe a couple of nice evenings in a bar or two.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers, I'm up for all of that - my goal is ski touring and this newbie will definitely need instruction/guiding/equipment. Will keep you posted with a post or two snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I might be up for something with you if your serious,I will be ski touring across the vanoise national park after the 18th April for a week and was toying with the idea of coming back via cham for a little stopover with a snowhead (Johnnyboy + another maybe).

Maybe you can hook up with Johnnyboy (The Legend) and I the the axe murderer !

We thought about doing this last year but Littleblue stayed in Les Men ,Johntheswede went too Tigne and Johnnyboy and Me came home.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, Would be good too cut some tracks with you this year after we failed too hook up while I was up in Le Tour during the big dump mid March,Too pissed up or stoned too check ur pm's LOL wink

Opinions on the Radium and Argon Boot compared too the Adrenilin G-Fit ?

Btw Did the vid of ur Friend that took the wrong turn and did a 110 ft + ? Jump/drop get uploaded ?

Regards Topsmoke
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Topsmoke, There is no Video of Fred Syversen, the camera wasn't rolling but there are photos if you search.

P.S. 110m!!!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Topsmoke wrote:
Maybe you can hook up with Johnnyboy (The Legend) and I the the axe murderer!
So a self-confessed axe murderer offers to drop in for a week. What do I do? *she mutters, sharpening her épées* Toofy Grin

Topsmoke, I am indeed serious. Although, as a newbie I doubt I'll make a suitable ski companion for you and Johnnyboy other than to act as farcical entertainment - but I'm always up for some adventure and the apartment offer is there.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've done the deed and bought a season lift pass (if anyone was eyeing out the discounted passes, the discount period has been extended to 30 Nov).
Next step is to find accommodation.

I am the epitome of excitement at the moment! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm still on the hunt for accommodation - now making a concerted effort to find something in the next couple of weeks as I'll booking for a 4-6 week stay.

On another thread, someone claimed that Chamonix Sud is an undesirable area to stay. Any snowheads in the know able to confirm or refute this claim or, perhaps, suggest areas of the town centre or outskirts that would fit my criteria?

My criteria are:
- Close to supermarket and laundrette (withing walking distance - let's say about 5 minutes)
- Within walking distance of ski bus stop (minutes on foot)
- If not in the town centre, then relatively close to town centre for restaurants, bars, shops, etc. (no more than 10 minutes walk)
- Safe for a woman walking around alone at night. I'm not the 'fraidy cat type but neither do I want to court unpleasantness

Thinking about it now - and despite my earlier post above - I don't mind a lively area as I'm happy to use earplugs when I sleep.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zero-G, I stayed in cham sud last year and will be again this year.
It has a small supermarket, and excellent laundrette that does service washes, it is best placed for buses which all originate from cham sud, its less than 10 mins from the main town plus has its own very lively bars. I would say its safe for a woman, but then again I am not a woman!
The downside is that it can be noisy, sometimes very noisy (French holidays), especially if you have an apartment facing onto the main square, also its not exactly pretty; for some one over 30 coming for a "holiday" especially with kids, I would not recommend it, although many do.
But its cheap, and if you can sleep in ear plugs and are "up for it" its fine.
latest report
Zero-G, How much touring have you done. My friend and i try to finish the season each year with a week in Cham around that time. Might well be interested in joining in with your place. Have you got any other takers yet.
ski holidays
Zero-G, Cham Sud? When you sleep your eyes are closed, you could be anywhere. Been here for years, Cham is about skiing, so not great in Cham Sud for a family, otherwise, no sweat
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
When you sleep your eyes are closed, you could be anywhere.
Precisely!

Thanks all, some food for thought. I'll take a closer look at places in Cham Sud too.

Although this will be a holiday, it's an activity holiday. Will be doing some climbing and a whole lot of skiing and photography. And trying my hand at touring for the first time. So, I'm not fussed about the prettiness of the town (or lack thereof) but more about available facilities/services and safety because I'll be out and about on my own most of the time. Btw, if I did have kids I'm sure I'd ditch them to climb Mont Blanc. Hell, I'd probably sell them into slavery in some third-world Nike factory to fund the expedition Twisted Evil

snowcrazy, this will be my first time off-piste, never mind touring (some lucky instructor/guide will be making a mint off me!). No definite takers as yet on the apartment share. I'm not looking for anything flash, just something clean that is larger than a broom closet. What week are you thinking of?
ski holidays
I stayed in Chamonix sud last April jsut off the sqaure and had no probs at all its pretty quiet at that time of year so didn't have any problems with the noise. We were 2 ladies and felt perfectly safe walking around at night. Very jealous that you are there for a month, last year April was awesome!
snow report
Looks rather tempting!!! Smile

Would have love to jump on the opportunity. Unfortunately, I don't know that far ahead if I'll have time off or not. And I also need to get through Feb in one peice (10 day at Jackson Hole) before I can commit to April! Wink Probably lean more towards early part of April than late.

I'm not a tourer per se. Though as a competant off-piste skier, I wouldn't mind give that a try for a day if I can find some hired gear.
ski holidays
abc, I'll keep this post updated as I get things organised, so check back later - you never know... snowHead
snow report
Well, the trip is all booked and paid for, will be in Chamonix from 29 Mar to 26 Apr. Went for a room in a chalet in the end instead of an apartment. SMALLZOOKEEPER, I'll get in touch closer to the time. I don't need boots fitted but we could def go for a drink and I'm interested in some off-piste instruction, so any good contacts you have in that regard will be much appreciated. Any other snowHeads in the area at that time who want to meet up for a ski, let me know.

Right now, where's my laminated packing list... Very Happy
snow report
Zero-G wrote:
Any other snowHeads in the area at that time who want to meet up for a ski, let me know.

I'll be out 4th to the 20th, and 25th to the 30th, would be interested in hooking up for any off piste as it's limiting to be on your own in terms of 'risk management' also if your getting any off piste lessons then may well be interested in sharing these if you want to split costs. Let me know what you think. snowHead
snow report
Zero-G, sounds exciting. You will be posting your experiences, won't you? (Well, some of them, anyway wink )
latest report
midgetbiker wrote:
also if your getting any off piste lessons then may well be interested in sharing these if you want to split costs.

just read through the thread and seen you say your new to off piste, so the idea of shared lessons is probably no good, but still interested in some skiing if you are, as most of the time I'm down I would otherwise be skiing alone. I'll have my truck down for the fortnight and a hire car during the other week so want to use the Courmayeur and Verbier opportunity on my pass at some point.

If your into your photography then the views up from Praz de Cham seem to be some of the best. Every time I came back from skiing last week I had to be careful not to mow down entire Japanese camera clubs that took up residence in the car park in front of my apartment building (all waiting for the dropping sun to hit the peaks). Personally I'm more of an admiring looks from the balcony whilst beer in hand sort of chap Cool .
ski holidays
midgetbiker, I am a total newbie at off piste. Hell, who am I kidding, I'm a newbie skier all round, having only done two weeks in Jan this year. After that trip I had to reassess my ambitions somewhat for this season, heh. Still want to do the off piste lessons though. The way I see it, my grandparents' generation didn't have pistes to ski on, so there's no reason why I shouldn't get stuck in right from the start Toofy Grin

pam w, I will indeed. Hopefully, this time I won't be posting photos my piste-bruised ar$e!
latest report
I Zero-G, f you are seriously into off piste why not try and get somewhere in Argentiere. Mega off piste wish I could come you will have a great time:)
ski holidays
Long weekend in April might work for me...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT and midgetbiker, send me a PM a few days before you arrive - we can swap mobile numbers and hook up.
Less that four weeks to go... oooh!
ski holidays
Only six sleeps to go!
Packing list (non-laminated) is ready Cool
Practicing my deep powder snow dance (or is that my deep powder low stance?)
ski holidays
Quote:

Practicing my deep powder snow dance (or is that my deep powder low stance?)

Zero-G, You'll need it if the snow keeps coming down at its current rate Very Happy . Enjoy - yesterday at GM was my best euro powder day ever snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
make that the day before yesterday I've just seen the time
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy