Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski pole sizing??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
can anyone tell me how to i can size up for poles? i cant rememer if i had 120 or 125cm poles last time i went skiing. i'm 5'10'' ish. i've seen soom cheap poles on ebay, (last seasons stock), but don't want the hassel of getting the wrong size and having to send them back! can you cut poles down if they are too long? is this an easy thing to do?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
welcom to snowHead

I'm not sure, I had some 125 cms in tignes a couple of weeks ago as that was wot the shop guy said was the right size (5'9") and my instructor didn't seem to think differently so that is the size I'm going for..

Also bought mine cheapo on fleabay..
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, i'm leaning towards the 125's as i'm told they can be cut down if they are a bit long.
Is this right?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am 6' and ski with 125cm poles. Go to a shop, flip em upside down and do the test. Buy online.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm 5' 8" and use 120 - 123cm poles. I suggest the 125cm would be better for you.

Some poles can be cut down a bit but you can't tell until you have them. You have to take the handle off, shorten the shaft then put the handles back on. Therefore it depends on how the handles attach to the shaft and the amount of tapering in the shaft at the handle end.

Buying cheap poles can be a false economy. I paid a lot for carbon fibre poles but I can adjust the length using an allen spanner, the straps, handles and baskets are replaceable if I break or lose any parts. My poles are very light and very well balanced compared to metal poles and after more than 10 years and 30+ weeks of skiing I still use them because they don't get bent or snap like metal.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mart8235, Same height as you and I use 125cm. Picked up a pair of Leki 125cm in TK Maxx yesterday for £9.95.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
5'10" use 120cm
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the advise guys. I went to the local ski shop and got sized up for poles, I'm a 125cm. he got me to turn the pole upside down and hold it under the basket, forearms are horizontal..... that's it! I ended up buying from the shop insted of ebay as there was loads of choice and not much more expencive, plus the guy was cool and he sold me some good boots a few months ago! I've got a cool set of Scott '13' poles, hope there're not unlucky! take it easy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
5' 10.5" and I have 125cm K2 4 Speed cut down to 123cm.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JP wrote:
K2 4 Speed cut down to 123cm.

Which means they bend down to an effective length of 114cm Laughing wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm 5'8" and use 125cm poles, but that's 'cos I have reet long legs and a short body. Probably best if you 'do the upside-down test'. It's partly personal preference too, some people prefer longer poles...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen bodecia wrote:
I'm 5'8" and use 125cm poles, but that's 'cos I have reet long legs and a short body

Shocked I'm 5'9" and use 115cm, and even they seemed a bit on the long side when I bought them. Then again I think I'm totally the opposite to you (average length legs/body, big head Laughing )
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex,
Quote:

Which means they bend down to an effective length of 114cm

Very light but don't bend. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy