Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter with car-sick children

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a good resort for an Easter break (3 adults and 3 children) bearing in mind the youngest child (will be 3) gets unbelievably car-sick? I did think of Alpe d'Huez but that winding road on the way up may finish her off!

I've never booked DIY myself so am a little nervous, and in Europe have only skied in France and Sweden so am not sure of all my options. Realise we'll have to go quite high which will inevitably mean some winding roads! Was planning to fly into Geneva and then get a private transfer.

All reasonably good skiers - with the exception of the car-sick 3-year old who will be learning.

All suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks
F
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fs, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Why not look at one of the Swiss resorts that you can get the train to from Geneva airport? That will avoid the car-sick problem, and you can get reasonably priced transfer tickets where the children will travel for free.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fs, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Have you tried asking your GP about medication for the 3 year old? There are quite a few discussions here about the problem of car sick kids, including some suggestions, from medically qualified members, of what to give them.

One thought. You can get to Bourg St Maurice by train, and then go up to Les Arcs on a funicular, thus completely removing all road travel from the equation. But there are also heaps of Swiss places easily reached by train from Geneva (I'm assuming, maybe wrongly, that train-sickness is not such an issue). Many Snowheads know the Swiss resorts well and might be able to suggest somewhere.

Easter is later in 2009 but it doesn't mean you've got to go terribly high. Slope aspect and geographical location is also important. One suggestion in France, and quite close to Geneva, is Les Contamines. Easy road, not windy. The village level and bottom slopes could well be suffering but I've skied mid April in Les Contamines most of the last 6 years - last year was particularly splendid, with absolutely heaps of snow on the day the resort closed, around 24 April, though obviously you couldn't rely on that!

There are lots of threads about little kids learning to ski, too. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fs, Welcome

I have 3-kids - 2 of which are prone to the odd bout of euggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, as am I if not driving!

Not sure of your kids ages (ours 8 and 6) but dosing them with over the counter travel tablets has been effective - Quells etc. We also let them listen to Audio-Books - seems to keep them sitting up and looking out of car, rather than reading looking down etc which seems to bring on the sickness.

Never had an issue with them on the Motorways as smooth and straight
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fs,
There are a lot of Swiss resorts that you can do train transfers with. I have never been but am told that Arosa is family friendly and is certainly reasonably high.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fs, Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead Our now 9 year old gets very car sick and too young for Kwells, but we have found Joy Rides (bought over the counter in Boots) work very well - two road trips to and from Alps - sick once! Mummy forgot his tablet Embarassed Not sure of the younger age limit, but worth investigating
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cradling a sick child and a plastic bag full of hot vomit whilst ascending a road to a ski resort is character building.

fs, welcome to snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Cradling a sick child and a plastic bag full of hot vomit whilst ascending a road to a ski resort is character building.

fs, welcome to snowHead

I have been that soldier sooooo many times! But no longer, thanks to Joy Rides ! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, and Anniepen, I read your posts and celebrated being child free Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anniepen, try Kwells Kids - suitable from age 4
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MarjMJ, you don't know the fun you're missing

I well remember climbing into the back of the car to try and bottle feed twin 14-month olds while stuck in traffic around Lyon - oh the fun
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boris, thanks - Boots didn't offer them when I noticed he was too young for the Kwells they DID offer me Confused Still, don't care as long as I'm not covered in sick for 900 miles ! Feeling a bit queasy yourself now MarjMJ, Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is a good article http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/men/article4076528.ece

I never knew that was why you were actually sick
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can use Joy-Rides from age 3, and promethazine (Phenergan) liquid from age 2.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
West London to Crans/Montana and back, every summer, while I was a child. Sheer, unadulterated misery all the way. Never mind the parents, it ain't no fun for the kid either. I used to get force-fed Dramamine, sometimes it worked (ie knocked me into unconsciousness, from which I would wake with a mouth like a gorilla's armpit) sometimes it didn't. Nightmare.
ski holidays
I used to get horrendously travel sick when I was, dunno, about 10 to 12 or so. It only ever happened in one car of my dad's, which had the most repugnant upholstery/glue smell. Except nobody else thought it did, just me. I'd start gagging just from opening the door on a hot day and getting a whiff. Weird eh.
snow report
I get travel sick still on ferries and trains if travelling backwards - Avomine the stuff for me
snow conditions
I used to a bit iffy on ferries. Against all conventional wisdom my solution is: a beer. Just one. Don't get pissed. Very calming.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 13-11-08 14:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 brian
brian
Me three on the ferries. My solution is to spend the whole journey on deck, keeping the visual/balance info the same.

Never knew about the purging thing either, thanks Boris, I love a useless factoid. wink
ski holidays
Quote:

I well remember climbing into the back of the car to try and bottle feed twin 14-month olds while stuck in traffic around Lyon - oh the fun

Laughing Laughing brings it all back to me.
snow conditions
brian,
Quote:

Me three on the ferries. My solution is to spend the whole journey on deck, keeping the visual/balance info the same

Me four. And reading in cars (including map-reading, which can be inconvenient) or on buses remains a no-no as well. Reading on trains usually OK, so long as facing the direction of travel. The worst car I ever travelled in was a Citroen belonging to one of my French uncles - I used to start feeling sick before it even finished rising up on its strange suspension system. Shocked
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
brian,
Quote:

Me three on the ferries. My solution is to spend the whole journey on deck, keeping the visual/balance info the same

Me four. And reading in cars (including map-reading, which can be inconvenient) or on buses remains a no-no as well. Reading on trains usually OK, so long as facing the direction of travel. The worst car I ever travelled in was a Citroen belonging to one of my French uncles - I used to start feeling sick before it even finished rising up on its strange suspension system. Shocked

Shocked see my story above. The car in question.... Citroen CX estate. Did you think it smelt funny too?
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Laughing Laughing brings it all back to me.

They - brought it all back on me Shocked Laughing
latest report
paulio,
Quote:

Citroen CX estate. Did you think it smelt funny too?

Don't remember, it was the 'floatiness' of the ride that got to me. The worst in-car smell for me is perfume, or after-shave etc, even if very posh and expensive - instantly green-inducing!
snow conditions
Boris, As if the traffic around Lyon wouldn't have put you over the edge - What possible motion could there have been Puzzled

Poor kid, well, poor everyone!
latest report
MarjMJ, we weren't moving admittadly - but one of them did have a habit of bringing milk up generally - even sitting at home
snow conditions
paulio wrote:
I used to get horrendously travel sick when I was, dunno, about 10 to 12 or so. It only ever happened in one car of my dad's, which had the most repugnant upholstery/glue smell. Except nobody else thought it did, just me. I'd start gagging just from opening the door on a hot day and getting a whiff. Weird eh.

So did I, and I have never been travel sick before or since. Turned out that there was a leak in the fuel filler pipe, and I got the whiff of petrol from it, as that was where I sat in the car. Parents blamed the circular multistorey carpark we tended to be in when it happened.
snow conditions
if you are flying then ask the air hostess for a handfull of sick bags - useful for the car/coach afterwards too.
our dd is plane as well as car sick
i hadn't considered the windy road thing though, and we are going to alpe d'huez this year - which i noticed someone mentioned as being particuarly bad - oh no! we find joy rides useless but phenergan pretty good, and it makes her sleep most of the journey too. this is fine until we arrive and she's so tired she can't stand up and walk, when we have 4 suitcases to carry too......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fs, as an alternative, you could fly to Salzburg and then go to Obertauern. No winding roads and only an hour transfer (shuttle busses easy to book). Should be snowsure for Easter (was when we went last year) and in typical years it doesn't close till May.
snow report
Our GP recommends Piriton (Chorphenamine) in elixir form for travel sickness. He drives to Switzerland with his 7 children Shocked
snow report
Quote:

Our GP recommends Piriton (Chorphenamine) in elixir form for travel sickness. He drives to Switzerland with his 7 children

Lou, you presumably wouldn't choose him for family planning advice?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy