Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val D'Isere 2008/2009

Poster: A snowHead
Well I thought since there's so much being said about Tignes, it would be rude not to get a thread going about Val*

Latest dump info from www.snow-forecast.com is that yesterday (Tuesday 12th), today and tomorrow will see a fair amount of snow dumped on Val. Temperatures are maxing out at around -6ºC and the winds are hovering around the 15-20mph mark. These figures relate to 2700m but there has been sow all the way down to resort level and the lower slopes at least have some white stuff on them. Up the top it looks sweet.

Forecast for the next few days is cold temps but no new snow at resort or mid level.

Webcams from www.valdinet.com

You can also get the official webcams here

Here's to a great start to the season in Val - 16 days and counting....

(*Plus I'm going there in three weeks - yipee Smile)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 22-11-08 21:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Specialman, thanks for that. We're off on 13th December to Tignes, but also having lessons during Christmas week in Val d'Isere, so very much encouraged to see that skiing down to either Val or La Daille should be possible, as we'd rather not have to take the bus!

Much bouncing and excitement is going on in the Docsquid household right now!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Specialman, thanks for starting the thread. I've been avidly watching the webcams and celebrating every time the snow has ventured just that little bit further down La Face for a few weeks now. Does anyone know if there are any webcams running over the Pissalis / Le Fornet side? Web cam gazing is one of my favourite 'work avoidance' activities of late

Off to Val D UCPA for New Year and can't wait. It is all looking very promising for a great early season! snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think www.snoweye.com might have a few webcams - I will do some hunting and get val as much presence on here as Tignes has Smile

22 days and counting for me.... can't wait!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like a cold, cold week in Val with some good snow at the end of the week that will hopefully replensih those lower slopes that seem to have a battering from warm conditions.

At higher elevations it's going to snow heavier, finishing on Sunday, so we should have a nice selection to have a go at. Let's just hope that between next weekend and the start of the season the temps stay low and we get a little bit more...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We are in Val d'Isere for Christmas week 20-27th (am staying in Tignes the week before 13-20th). We spent Christmas in Val last year and the snow was wonderful and the skies blue (most of the time) so I am keeping my fingers crossed for more of the same this year snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Beverley wrote:
We are in Val d'Isere for Christmas week 20-27th (am staying in Tignes the week before 13-20th).

Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky so-and-so Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i see a half board crystal deal for the week before for £149 Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rogg, that's the one int he hotel isn't it? Great deal. I'm wishing I waited to book but hey ho, still got my deal for £300 in a catered chalet. Such is life and all that... Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why does my name suddenly say 'down a crevasse'. My email is alive and well and not changed. I've received Snowhead emails to my address, so know it works. Have I done something wrong??

Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Beverley, I'm down a crevasse too, even though my email is valid. Kind of cool down here though isn't it? Future archaeologists will have endless fun debating how we got here....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Plake, It's cold down here and no-one has offered any help up yet.......................... : Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Beverley, ah seen you now. Just a quick note to tell you I haven't been able to reply to your last PM-when I try to it says that you are down a crevasse!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The models are going for 10 or 11 inches of snow at resort level by next Saturday. Higher up the problem is going to be wind. Fortunately it looks like there is quite a nice frozen base above six and half thousand feet so shouldn't matter too much if it gets blown around.

Interestingly looking at the records, Val D'isere hasn't had particularly deep snow levels over the last 3 years, compared to some other resorts. However I assume its height, degree of shelter and reasonably rock free slopes have helped retain good skiing conditions throughout its season.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snow this morning to add to the excellent work that the snow cannons have been doing. The slopes in la daille are looking better and so does Manchet:

http://www.valdisere.com/gb/pictoflash/webcam/webcam.php

The company we're going with in December (YSE) do a daily photo blog and the start of the season last year was very much like this year's; a little bit here, a little bit there and then a massive dump right before the season started. Even a few inches seemed to look good in Val so Peter S is on the money - height, low temp and north facing slopes should mean the snow stays good for that little while longer.
snow conditions
Specialman, sorry didn't see your post - and just noticed that this is actually the ValD thread - the deal i saw was for the Terachau (sp?) in tignes. Embarassed great deal though. if only i wasn't visiting the family 'abroad' for an early christmas gathering. still....... Twisted Evil
latest report
Heading to Val Dar in first week on Feb next year. Just found out that is when the FIS World Cup is being held there. Is this a good or a bad thing? Assume means lots of cool things going on but will it also mean crowded slopes as well as closure of some of the main pistes i.e. Le Face?
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, Hi there. Trying to sort out why I am down an ice-hole.................. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Must be very low humidity in VDI reight now because the snowcannons are running at midday despite temperatures only round about freezing.

Good news though snowHead
latest report
Peter S, looking at valdinet and snoweye some of the webcams show a fair bit of snowless ground but then it dawned on my that's the opposite mountai where there are no slopes!! Doh!

The Solaise area looks pretty swish at the moment and that slope down into La Daille looks to be coming along nicely.

Plsu we have a big old 20-odd cms of snow forecast for Friday with some good amounts either side of that. Winds look to be picking up over the weekend but they've been creating gullies along the runs high up to catch the drifts according to the www.yseski.com blog.
[/url]
latest report
Makes sense i suppose. I've never seen that before other than on the Tignes glacier. Forunately this years there is a good even cover of presumeably frozen snow over all the upper runs which would seem a perfect base for the beggining of the season.

This weekends snow is also coming at a good time although it looks as though Austria is best placed to receive the heaviest falls.

I just hope we don't get into a dry cycle where nothing falls for three weeks after this W/E snowHead
snow conditions
Snow forecast for the next nine days - looking good for Sunday:

(*the thumbnails aren't showing up on my browser but hopefully they're there Smile)
snow conditions
They're shifting the snow around in la Daille with the snowcat at the monment - it has begun.... Smile
ski holidays
Specialman wrote:
They're shifting the snow around in la Daille with the snowcat at the monment - it has begun.... Smile

It must be a very localised snow fall. Only very high level clouds with no snow over the hill in Tignes today wink
ski holidays
It's chucking it down in Val this morning. It's chucking it down in St Anton. It's chucking it down in NE England and it'sonly 23 days before I go to Val.

sarep,

There are no webcams in the Le Fornet sector but with the reservoir they built there a few years ago they will have been making snow even before the real stuff started falling. It's snowing in Val Village right now.

They have also been piste bashing the real and artificial snow to ensure it does blow away if they get high winds.
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
Specialman wrote:

It must be a very localised snow fall. Only very high level clouds with no snow over the hill in Tignes today wink

It was the stuff fom the snow cannons they were shifting round.

Can't believe how much snow has fallen today - the day i'm not glued to the webcams today and it actually goes and snows!!!

Looking good with more snow to come this weekend...Smile
snow report
http://www.valdisere.com/gb/pictoflash/webcam/popup/webcam_popup_daille.php?video=valdisere4_20081122_1140
snow report
posted twice Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
redrunmarcus, excellent Smile

How good does it look now guys? Just to think, this time last week it has a few piddly mounds from the snow cannons - what a difference a week makes....

Two weeks and I'll just about be there...
snow conditions
Specialman, I'll be able to get my PM's in Tignes and read Snowheads so let me know what day you are coming to Tignes your week and we can meet up if you want.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, cool. Will hopefully have my laptop back from the insurance company soon (fingers crossed for a nice, shiny Macbook Smile ) so will be taking it with me to go online. I reckon it'll be mid-week though. Are you taking advantage of the free day in the 3 Valleys and paradiski? If I can get transport I wouldn't mind heading over to Courcheval.
ski holidays
Specialman, are you there 7th to 14th you say? If so then I won't be able to go anywhere else other than Espace Killy as I am on a course 6th-13th see. Mid week would be good if you come over to Tignes then but keep me posted by PM anyway. I will PM you my mobile number as well.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, yep, there from the 7th. Got your PM Smile
I was thinking about heading over to the 3V but judging by the amount of snow they've had in Val, I don't think I'll need to!! Smile Yep, it's me, Mrs Spesh and another fella
ski holidays
VDI now reporting 50cms lower slopes and 200cms upperslopes Shocked Thats massive before we even get into December !

Where did that come from, yesterday it was ONLY 20cms and 150cms Laughing

I'm not complaining, just hope it stays cool and unsettled for the next couple of weeks.
latest report
Peter S, it's awesome!! Smile Really can't beleive that there's more to come this weekend and all the way through to Wednesday at resort level.

Had an e-mail from my mate who's coming with us to Val and he's speechless about the amount of snow - he's even started packing now he's that excied!!!! Smile

I'm thinking that with going early in the season it'll be nice and empty whe we get there and there will be a fair bit of powder untracked.
latest report
Its brilliant news and not just for the selfish reason that I'm going out there on the 14th Embarassed Afterall who knows it may snow or be windy or even rain all that week !

It great news for the whole season surely ? From the webcams there looked to be an excellent frozen, level base everywhere above about 2,200m. The metre of snow that has since fallen on that is really going to establish good upper run skiing into the New Year - barring any meterolgical disater in the next 4 weeks.

Not sure what it means for future avalanche risk though ?
latest report
Peter S, I'm just happy that the runs down intot he village have good coverage. Even if the end of nex week warms up a bit, 50cm (plus the 25cm or so we're getting in the next few days) will be more than enough for the week i'm there from the7th Smile

I'm looking forward to getting up to the snowpark as well. I read a while ag that it wouldbn't be opening until late December but all i can find with reference to opening times is Espace Killy opening day of 29th. Really fancy giving the snow park a go, although that may be late in the week just in case I have a mishap Smile

Also looking forward to seeing what the Folle Douce is like - looks like a mental place to be when everyone gets into apres mood Smile

God, I cannot wait!!!
latest report
Specialman - I feel your excitement Laughing
ski holidays
They have the snow makers on at the bottom of La daille slopes on the webcams.
ski holidays
Specialman,

Quote:

VolklAttivaS5, yep, there from the 7th. Got your PM
I was thinking about heading over to the 3V but judging by the amount of snow they've had in Val, I don't think I'll need to!! Yep, it's me, Mrs Spesh and another fella

I'm going the day after tomorrow and now the laptop keyboard is not working properly! Should be able to get PM's though on Blackberry but will be expensive to go in and get the PM's over there. You've got my number so hope to see you at some point week commencing 7th Dec then.

Cheerio and safe journey, I reckon if it carries on with this snow they are having it should be a corker. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy