Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Holiday Advice - early 2009

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello All

Ok, so I just joined the forum as I thought you would all be best placed for some advice...

I am looking to go away early next year, and am considering two options:

1) To spend a couple of months based in in a resort, in an apartment or equivalent.

2) Heading for a couple of 2+ week breaks.

So mainly -where in Europe to go? (I am based in Scotland and need to be back for weekends late Feb and late March)

I am looking to improve my skiing - I would grade myself as intermediate - and so would be wanting to get lessons somewhere, so it would be good if anybody recommended a company.

It would be a bonus if I was also able to improve in telemarking and there were some cross country trails for some variation.

Thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
teddyscot, Flights from Scotland to Alps suck, ie lack of them. Geneva seems about the only hub that you can fly to cheaply, as is Munich - both with easyJet. So if you're looking to come back at weekends I would suggest that you base you resort on flight availability to and from Scotland. Also what are you looking for? Just to ski all the time, in which case some of the French mega resorts would fit the bill - base yourself around Bourge St Maurice for example and link to Les Arcs, La Plagne, Val d'Isere and 3 Valleys fairly easilly. If on the other hand you want to enjoy the apres side of it then Austria would fit the bill better.
Anyway welcome to Snowheads and I'm sure if you give us a little more background on what you're looking for they'll be plenty of views for you
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
teddyscot, welcome to Snowheads. Sounds like a great idea. If you are flexible, and willing to rent an apartment for four weeks from early Jan to early February, and then again from around 7 March to 7 April, you could find some good deals, because that leaves the owner free to rent out for the big weeks of Christmas/New Year and half term (I'm really talking France here, it's probably different in Austria and someone will be along to make some other suggestions if that's your choice). That probably wouldn't cost much more than 2 x 2 week breaks, if you cooked for yourself and bought beer and gin in a supermarket. wink

Maybe in two different resorts?

Using one resort has the big advantage of being able to buy a cheap season pass - but you might need to move fast, as the sales periods tend to finish some weeks before the season starts. Some of the passes - eg Evasion Mont Blanc (if that's still the right name - it's years since I bought one of those) would, however, give you a good choice of resorts.

There'll be lots of sensible suggestions coming up, but I'd suggest you need to get your basic plan sorted out fairly swiftly.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies - it is all really useful stuff.

I am looking to mostly be getting out skiing and will be looking for some lessons wherever I go. One option I am wondering about is just getting a couple of fairly last minute dels for 14+ days so I can just concentrate on getting out. B-St -M sounds like a good option though.

Thanks for the info on apartments - do you know any websites etc that are good for finding a property? It sounds like a good plan to avoid the half-term holidays! Keeping the cost down would be good - I am happy to just stay self catering. I guess I just need to start pricing the trips up - so need to get an idea of a cost for an apartment, lift pass etc plus booking flights.

Anyway, I will keep surfing the net to try and make some decisions!

Thanks again
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
teddyscot, Go on to the Where to Ski website forum http://www.wtss.co.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=508 and make your post about Bourg St Maurice as one of the users - John I think - has a pad out there and is well versed. Be warned though, you'll probably get chapter and verse. Even start a new post on here re Bourg St Maurice and you'll get more response that the WTSS website
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
boabski wrote:
teddyscot, Flights from Scotland to Alps suck, ie lack of them. Geneva seems about the only hub that you can fly to cheaply, as is Munich - both with easyJet.

Not True.

You can:

From Glasgow Prestwick (with Ryanair):

Turin, Grenoble, Milan Bergamo, Barcelona Girona (for Andorra), Stockholm, Oslo and Marseille.

From Edinburgh (with Ryanair):

Turin, Grenoble, Stockholm

From Edinburgh (Easyjet):

Munich.

From Edinburgh (with flyglobespan):

Geneva, Chambery.

This is all in addition to charter flights to Innsbruck, Salzburg, Geneva, Chambery, Lyon and Turin and, of course, not forgetting the usual scheduled carriers such as BA, KLM, etc (albeit this necessitates changing somewhere such as LHR or AMS).

OK, Ryanair can be a bit of a nightmare but they still have the destinations (I've booked two trips with them; one in February and one in March).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy