Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best midlayer?

Poster: A snowHead
Yo -

So, I'm all set for baselayers (Merino stuff) - switching from a down jacket to shell, so I want a breathable midlayer that's uber warm.

Any recommendations? Was gonna just buy from the USA but with the exchange rate circling the drain it's probably better to buy in the UK now. I've heard good things about the Mountain Hardwear Monkey Man?

Cheers,
Dave
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I generally use my trusty Canvas Holidays uniform fleece. They're not freely available though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use a Decathlon £8 fleece.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dunno if a fleece is a fleece, but I should point out my home resort tends to err around the -30 side quite often Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it's nippy out, I use a Rab Vapour-rise smock, which keeps me dry and toasty
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I use a base and a fleece under my shell, good fitting fleece and shell that doens't let drafts and the cold..tried both my repiont thermal jacekt and a windstopper soft shell but ended up to warm while skiing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i'd look at a down (or synthetic down) sweater or gilet for the really cold days
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have 2 microfleeces from Tiso - cheap and they do the job. If it's really cold (and it's only been that cold once - on the Moraine chair on the first few days of the EoSB), I'll stick on another layer and it's all good Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DaveC, if it's really freezing it might be better to use two layers between your merino base and the shell. More flexible, more air trapped. I am a wimp, I suppose....
I use Decathlon fleeces a lot (or sometimes, like Lizzard, a Sunsail staff uniform fleece, which is thick). I've never been able to figure out the difference between cheap (e.g. Decathlon) fleeces and more expensive ones, but maybe there's something which makes it worth spending so much more.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
North Face TKA 100 fleeces are pretty good, and the Fat Face eqivalents.

Haven't tried any others yet
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DaveC, I'm with pam w, - two layers over base would be more efficient/flexible. I use a Low Alpine micro fleece and then a slightly thicker fleece over the top.

snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.snowandrock.com/Activity/Ski/Clothing/Fleeces+Tops/Arcteryx/M+Covert+Zip+ARC0087.htm

Got one of these and there were only a couple days in Banff last season where I could wear it under my jacket.. crazy warm especially if you are standing around all day. -30 below days with a base, one of those and your jacket it will be plenty..
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kermit wrote:
North Face TKA 100 fleeces are pretty good, and the Fat Face eqivalents.

Haven't tried any others yet

+1 vote for TKA 100. My favourite bit of ski clothing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
arv wrote:
http://www.snowandrock.com/Activity/Ski/Clothing/Fleeces+Tops/Arcteryx/M+Covert+Zip+ARC0087.htm

Got one of these and there were only a couple days in Banff last season where I could wear it under my jacket.. crazy warm especially if you are standing around all day. -30 below days with a base, one of those and your jacket it will be plenty..

Ooh that looks nice.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
People do vary a lot though - if you have a really good layer of built in blubber it seems to keep you warmer. wink I read what people wear in 30 below in Banff and it sounds quite like what I wear when it's around 5 below in the Alps.
snow report
Monkeyman get's my vote as I may have already (over)stated! snowHead
latest report
I generally wear a microfleece over a baselayer - have a mtn hardwear micro chill - also have a monkeyman to use instead of the micro chill when it gets really cold.

They are a great piece of kit and so warm, they are quite an athletic fit tho Smile
snow report
what is a monkeyman - is it something to do with the missing link or am i thinking along the wrong lines...?
snow conditions
OO! OO! Gimme some bananas!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy