Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which austrian resort in the next couple of weeks?

Poster: A snowHead
I am likely to be doing a bit of work in Munich over the next few weeks, and I thought the best thing to do at the weekends would be to go skiing. What do people think of the austrian glaciers at this time of the year?

According to the ski club overview the 2 glaciers are Hintertux ant Stubai which sound like they have snow, 120cm and 80 cm respectivly. Also Obergurgl is supposed to open in a couple of days with 80cm of snow.

Stubai has a hostel, which makes it cheaper. Hintertux has more snow and more skiiable terrian. Obergurgl is signifignatly further from Munich (~300 km as opposed to 200 for the other 2) but if it was better then it would be worth it.

Anyone any thoughts? I have no idea, so any information would be apperitiated but in particular:

What is the skiing like? I am into steep stuff, off piste if posssible (but I guess that is unlikely at this time of year).
What are the crowds like? How long are the lift queues?
Any recomendations about cheap accomodation? I do not care about luxuries, and I will have a car so do not mind if it is a little way from the slopes.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hughbedo, Austria

Obergurgl - 14 November

Obertauern - 21 November

Solden - 22 November (glaciers already open)

St Anton / Lech - 28 November

Zell am See/Kaprun - 22 November
From the WTSS site.
Difficult to say of these which is best for you, as I've only been to Arlberg (and Kaprun but in summer). I would have thought that the Otz valley would be a better base as you have Solden and Obergurgl - spread your bets???? Snowing in alps just now as I'm sure you're aware. Being completely biased towards St Anton and Lech, I could suggest there, but it's probably further away from Munich than the others mentioned and I'm not sure just how busy it would be and therefore just how good the apres would be (which is half the reason I go there). In terms of the skiing though St Anton could fit the bill if you're into the steeper stuff. This website is pretty good for finding some rooms close to centre http://www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk/ - look out also for Talhof Nigg, which is a cheap b&b at the start of the pedestrian zone that I've stayed in a few years back. Would not imagine that queuing would be a problem, as it's very rarely a problem in high season.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the input. I have missed that site, there are some good looking pictures there. I have heard of St. Anton, that would be cool if that was open when I am there.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hughbedo,

I'm only a drive away from the current open Austrian resorts (although quite a long drive 4-6 hrs). Where's best tends to be down to which resort saw the last snowfall, the situation changes daily. If I was in your position at the moment I'd go to Hintertux (almost went there a couple of weeks back but Kaprun saw fresh snow so changed at the last minute). Hintertux has the steepest terrain of the glaciers and has the best base at the moment. If Austria were to see a major dump then St Anton could well become favourite.

http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/schneewerte/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Stubai Glacier over the Hintertux Glacier almost every time for me. The Hintertux Glacier is steeper for sure but in terms of area and lift systems the Stubai Glacier gets my vote each time. I last skied the Hintertux Glacier in June and had a good day but the Stubai Glacier at the beginning of October this year was really superb: http://www.ineedsnow.com/more/latest-ski-conditions/latest-ski-conditions.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Solden's glaciers are great for an early season slide, unlike a lot of glaciers the main lifts are gondolas rather than T bars so it's not too hard work and enough runs to keep you happy for a couple of days. We went the same time of year as you are planning a couple of years ago and the town was buzzing already plus you could pick up a four star hotel for £35 a night.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We've just got back from a weekend trip, where we had 2 fantastic days skiing on the Stubai Glacier.

Blue skies, a great choice of runs (including some excellent off piste) and a foot of powder were just the job!

We were based in Neustift - a picturesque village 18km from the glacier, with a good choice of B n B's and restaurants. After recent trips to France (where it's regularly €6+ for a half litre of beer) we were very pleasantly surprised to find beer for €3. That certainly gave us a very good excuse to celebrate a great ski day and Sunderland's defeat of Blackburn on Saturday..... Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great news John Crawford, I live just above Innsbruck and ski the Stubai Glacier very often . This weekend I was at the Kaunertal Glacier and the Pitztal Glacier, both also had sensational skiing. For me the Hintertux Glacier is best for stepper skiing, the Stubai Glacier best for extensive skiing and the ski out, whilst the Pitztal Glacier is the highest at 3440m top lift height. For snowboarders the Kaunertal Glacier is a Mecca whilst Solden has skiing between 1300m and 3250m, a huge height range. My season started on the 6th oct this year with 60cm of powder on the Stubai Glacier. Only 7 months of skiing left for this season now Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You don't mention Garmisch-Partenkichen in you original enquiry. Garmisch is the nearest sizeable resort to Munich and has glacier. Not sure of opening dates but will certainly be ready by 1st week December. Also consider smaller resorts in Allgau region for later into the season.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
...or wib, on the other side of the Zugspitze in Arhwald, Leermoos etc, in Austria
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hughbedo, Go to stubai It's the the DB of glaciers
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clive5, and it is in really great shape with more snow coming later this week. I had a powder day there back on the 5th oct
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
..do i sense an Austro-centric view point ineedsnow?! Laughing I would point out that i would always opt for Austrian resorts given the choice. Unfortunately Thomson have pulled their Coventry flights to Salzburg so i am having to consider Switzerland this year (see seperate thread) ...oh the shame of it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hey wib, you are spot on, I am biased toward Austria and especially the Tirol. I also have a certain thing for skiing in Japan and BC. For now though it is my little resort of Axamer Lizum and my dodgy local full of farmers that keeps me happy. BTW - really shame on Thomson. Switzerland has some great stuff on offer as well though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Schladming has announced it's opening a few lifts this sunday, probably more if it snows.

http://planai.at/winter/index_eng_5440_ENG_HTML.php looks like they have managed to get a man made base down.
snow report
Wow, what a flury of responces. Everyone here at work is giving me horror stories about how the roads will be with the amount of snow expected, apparently down to 200m and over 1m of snow in the mountains. They do not think I will make it with summer tires and snow chains, and I should get the train to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and porbably ski at Zugspitz. That looks pretty easy, no runs harder than red, but if there is a lot of snow other places in the area may open.

Any thoughts?
latest report
hughbedo,

Winthin Austria and Germany during winter conditions it is now a legal requirement to have winter tyres or chains. The max speed with chains is ca 30 mph so how long will it take you to travel deep into austria and how happy are the people behind you going to be? If it becomes slushy and the chains go through to the road then technically you should stop the vehicle as your summer tyres aren't suitable and the chains would damage the road.

Garmisch-Partenkirchen is forecast to see the first wave of snow and is expecting ca 50 cm fresh over the weekend.
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Garmisch-Partenkirchen/6day/top

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Hintertux/6day/top

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/St-Anton/6day/top
snow conditions
Looking a bit more, at http://ski3.intermaps.com/zugspitzbahn/index.swf?Lang=de&chn=zoom2&Reg=zmP2&Aktuell=Lifte it looks like nothing is open at Zugspitz now. It is going to be next to imposible to get anywhere by train, and I cannot find any ski buses that start now. I guess I have to drive.

To get winter tires my first quote (from Pit Stop) is 82 euros a corner. I guess I could streach to the front 2, but 4 at 328 euros is a bit steep. Do I need all 4?
latest report
Yes you need all four winter tyres (for braking /road holding etc), what about renting a car with winter tyres (& chains)?
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Yes you need all four winter tyres (for braking /road holding etc), what about renting a car with winter tyres (& chains)?
If getting a car outside of Austria, make double sure it comes with winter tyres, they tried to palm me off with slicks a couple of years ago at Munchen Flughafen.
snow report
Munich airport sorry
snow conditions
That does seem resnoble. Expedia quotes me 63 GBP for a car from friday evening to sunday evening. I guess that is probably the best bet.
latest report
hughbedo,

Agree that the car comes with winter tyres and chains before making the deal otherwise you might get stung with extras as you pick the car up. Saying things like "I'll have to come back to you as I'm pretty sure the other company included chains within their quote" could get you a better deal.
ski holidays
I'm away for a long weekend but just before I go .... Zell am See (if it is open http://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/winter/news/events/en/) might be a good 'train to' option.

The train link bewteen Munich and Zell am See is good http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp and someone said earlier in the thread that they open this weekend. Zell isn't as high as the glaciers and the wind speeds look lower than other resorts.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Zell-am-See/6day/top

Whatever you decide have a good 'un.
latest report
Avis which is just down the road quote 96 euros with snow chains on the web site. I phone them up and they want 175 euros for snow tires! Man I am tempted to just risk it, but I do not think I will.

Zell am See would be good, but I cannot see any mention of opening on the web site.
snow conditions
So I was all ready to leave tommorrow, and djfletcher (whom I was going to get B+B from) just rung me up and said the forcast is for 120+km/h winds in the mountains, and he would not expect any where in austria (he said in the alps) to be open on saturday. I would tend to belive him, as he is doing himself out of buisiness. I guess sunday would be a classic day if the winds die down. I could possibly get work to let me work saturday and take monday off.

What do you lot think of that prediction? Is it not worth driving down the austria, either on summer tires or spending 136 Euros on a rubbish hire car, or should I wait untill sunday?

Tahnks for any advice, I really do appreritiate it. I do not know enough about mountain weather to know.
snow report
hughbedo, winter tyres here are compulsory from November until Spring (sometime) and as far as i know if you are in accident whether it is your fault or not with non-winter tyres then you are totally liable for any damages. I stand corrected but as far as I know that is broadly the way it is. All hire cars you get within Austria are legally obliged to provide winter tyres. check also with the hire company.
ski holidays
hughbedo,

Did you manage to get any skiing in? I see that some valleys in Tirol are cut off with snow and fallen trees http://tirol.orf.at/stories/324158/ and that the Prince of Liechtenstein along with a passenger were badly injured in a car accident. He appears to of slid off the road and hit a low concrete wall. http://www.kleinezeitung.at/steiermark/muerzzuschlag/1654161/index.do
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hughbedo, how was it? Sunday over here in Tirol was just incredible, hope you got some.
snow conditions
hughbedo, ah - Ive just typed a massive answer then noticed you were planning on going last weekend. So, did you go? Where did you go? We live in Ski Amade, 45 mins down the motorway from Salzburg. Are you still looking for skiing over the coming weekends? Loads of areas are opening this weekend. If you need any top tips then please ask away, always happy to help a snowhead. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy