Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

les arc 1800 or tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, has anyone been to either of these resorts? What are your experiences? Prices, apres ski, slopes etc. Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've skied both, extensively. IMO there's not much to choose between the two in terms of prices, apres ski, range of skiing or, if you compare Paradiski with Espace Killy, extent of skiing. Both offer a bit of everything, except perhaps for Alpine charm.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Arcs has an ugly sister called La Plagne.
Val d'Isere has an ugly sister called Tignes.

It's a bit of a toss up as to whether Tignes is better than Les Arcs, but Tignes' sister is the one I'd marry out of all four. Twisted Evil

Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder - whether resort charm or stimulating pistes - but you'll have a good time in either region. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes. Les Arcs probably edges it for me - like rob@rar, says you are kind of limited on alpine charm in both, but I don't recall many trees in Tignes, so I'd choose Les Arcs. Also is less far to drive if you are DIYing it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
les arcs but not by much, tignes is bleaker, more expensive but better snow conditions at village level. Both are fab - as is val d'isere
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MarjMJ wrote:
I don't recall many trees in Tignes, so I'd choose Les Arcs. Also is less far to drive if you are DIYing it.

Yes, Les Arcs does have a fair amount of tree-lined skiing which is great when the weather closes in. On the other hand Tignes has a glacier to ski on if snow conditions are really dire.

Tignes is 20 minutes further to drive to, so not a big issue IMO.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Tignes is 20 minutes further to drive to, so not a big issue IMO

S'pose so if you've been travelling ages, it is just another 20 mins of exciting alpine driving... snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've skiied both areas, but while I've stayed in Tignes, I've only stayed in Arc 1950 and Vallandrey - not 1800.

I think Tignes shades it on slopes and apres, but seemed more expensive.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah, not a lot in it probably, both are very good resorts which I'd definitely visit again. In fact I am - we've got trips to both this season Smile. I'd agree with Mosha Marc that Tignes may be slightly better on apres but that's not something I get to experience really anymore Sad.

paulrfair, what are you after in terms of slopes, apres etc?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does anybody know how long it takes to drive to Les Arcs from Calais?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andyt83, depends how many fuel stops you make and how fast you go, but I'd be happy with 9 hours, and expect 10 or 11. If you hit any traffic jams much more. If you have a Porsche with an auxilliary fuel tank, and plenty of dosh to give the traffic cops, perhaps 7 hours.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
have stayed and skied both Arcs 1800 and Tignes and have stayed in Val and Peisey and skied both areas a lot.

Not much to choose between these really...much prefer Val D'Isere and Peisey (especially le Villarette below the link to la Plange)

Both lack any charm at all....arguably Arcs 1800 worse than Tignes....both have awful apartments and mediocre / dreadful food in th evillage and in mountain restaurants nearby (really the French should be ashamed)

But both have easy access to great snow-on and off piste and are ski in ski out- unlike much of Val and le Villarette......

Pays your money and takes your choice........................
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Both lack any charm at all....arguably Arcs 1800 worse than Tignes....both have awful apartments and mediocre / dreadful food in th evillage and in mountain restaurants nearby (really the French should be ashamed)

Oh dear, somebody please tell me this isn't true. Sad Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Les Arcs had little nightlife at Easter last year.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle wrote:
Quote:

Oh dear, somebody please tell me this isn't true. Sad Sad

It's not true... I will do a fuller review of the mountain (and non-mountain) eateries over the course of the season and duly report back!!
snow report
Hurtle, Long time since I stayed there but there was some reasonable eating in 1800 and on the mountain. Must admit I found 1800 itself a little claustrophobic to stay in.
ski holidays
Hurtle, some nice places to eat in resort and up the hill, as well as some ho-hum places. Not all apartments in Arc 1800 are horrid Wink
ski holidays
rob@rar, wink Toofy Grin
I'm compiling a list of recommended restos from odd posts on here. May need some guidance on the ho-hum ones to avoid.
snow report
Hurtle, I often pop back to the apartment for lunch. Cheaper, calmer and avoids the temptation to top up the sunburn.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Hurtle, I often pop back to the apartment for lunch. Cheaper, calmer and avoids the temptation to top up the sunburn.

So how much for a croque monsieur & frites et une demi chez Rob then Laughing
snow report
rob@rar, hmmm. I'm a sun worshipper (but am careful to anoint myself properly, natch.) Does that terrace I see in the pictures catch the sun at lunchtime?
latest report
bertie bassett, bowl of re-hydrated soup and a salad is all the chef normally aspires to Embarassed

Hurtle, north facing unfortunately. Lovely for breakfast on the balcony late in the season, but not for the rest of the day. The view up to Mt Blanc is a little bit of consolation though Smile
snow report
I always thought Chalet St Bernard should be in La Roche Toofy Grin
snow report
Boredsurfing, Laughing
snow conditions
Hurtle, Have you seen my good loo guide to La Plagne Toofy Grin
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34049&highlight=loo
snow conditions
Boredsurfing,thanks, I'll be sure to pick a good one on my single visit to 'the other side.' wink

rob@rar,
Quote:

bowl of re-hydrated soup
Oh dear. Sad Nope, I need sun at lunchtime, if there's some going.
ski holidays
Hurtle, My balcony is always in the sun at lunchtime Very Happy but as you know I won't be there Toofy Grin
Based on last season for your one day I would suggest you lunch at Loup Blanc in LP 1800 lovely sun deck AND lovely inside if the weather is iffy.
My better half has just said Loos and sun deck and vin chaud are better at Au Bon Vieux Temps above 1800 by the Golf Chair Lift. Laughing
latest report
Boredsurfing, thank you, duly noted. Which of the two has better nosh, would you say?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, Food and service Loup Blanc if you like 'proper Pizza' (it is excellent) which is in the majority on the menu but they also have the usual savoyarde dishes as well. Very Happy
I'll pm you the name of a restaurant to avoid!
latest report
Boredsurfing, brilliant, thank you.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, please pm me too...for when i go over next month!!!
snow conditions
bertie bassett, done Toofy Grin
latest report
Now I've got the lowdown on La Plagne, where I'm not going, please can people recommend some good restaurants in Les Arcs (both at 1800 and up the hill) where I am going? Thank you. Toofy Grin

(Sorry, paulrfair, slight hijack.)
ski holidays
Hurtle, here's a few.
Chalet de l'Arc just above Arc 2000, but make a reservation.
La Ferme in Villaroger.
L'Alpage which is in the building next door to where you're staying. I've enjoyed a few meals in there, but I think it has changed hands since last time I ate there. It's small so worth making a reservation.
Casa Mia in Arc 1800.
Bélliou La Fumée at the end of the Cascades blue & Comberciere black pistes.
La Bergerie at Vallandry.
Bar Mt Blanc, also in Vallandry.
ski holidays
rob@rar, Just like that. Thank you. Toofy Grin
snow report
Hurtle, the SOS pizza in 1800 was great when you needed a bit of stomach lining and really cheap Very Happy
snow report
I always used to lunch at a resturant along Belvedere run just below the snow park (cant remember the name). Really decent canteen style lunch and very reasonably priced and a bottle of wine for 5€. Full on sun, was great. get there early or late as was very busy between 12-2.

I think i'll go back to les arcs in 2010, loved it Very Happy
snow conditions
Libertine, that's the Arpette. Good for a quick pitstop, but it does get busy there.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Now I've got the lowdown on La Plagne, where I'm not going, please can people recommend some good restaurants in Les Arcs (both at 1800 and up the hill) where I am going? Thank you. Toofy Grin

(Sorry, paulrfair, slight hijack.)

La Ferme in Villarogier. Worth the 7km red to get to it. Rustic farmhouse. Yum Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
rob@rar, ahh yeah, thats the one. nice sun trap.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy