Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is there going to be snow?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at the ( most of them at least) web cams there seems to be a distinct lack of snow now we are so close to the resort opening dates...........not really used to this ( waiting for the snow to appear), should I get to worried or is there plenty of time ( hoping to get away new year,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but only if there is enough snow).

Does the considerable snow gun coverage of a couple of the Austria areas ( ski welt & ski amade ) make them a good choice for early season trips?

What do you all think?

ta

Mitch
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snow guns are only any good if the temperatures are low enough, however in general snow coverage often does not occur until late November or even well into December, and whilst as with this year there are sometimes heavy falls of snow in October they typcally melt away fairly soon, the time to panic is not even when you arrive in the resort to see there's no snow, many years ago as a small child I did just that, the following morning I woke to the sound of the snowblower clearing the road of nearly 3ft of fresh powder Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Aosta Valley looks good.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mitchell, Never been to Autria but this time last year I went up to Gstaad supserski about now in Shorts ... but it snowed when I got there. Overnight change ..

Further South ( the Alpes Martime) Overlooking the Mediterranean has more snow earlier than I can recall ... so the answer is who knows?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mitchell, this is a good thread to keep an eye on as it normally gets a pretty good commentary on short-term forecasts.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mitchell, Phew - for a change it wasn't me who started this thread wink Yep - I get worried at this time every year as well - what with going either at Xmas or early New Year.

Look back at the threads in Snow Reports and you'll see most of the major dumps come end of month or start Dec.

Nothing too panic about - yet
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the grounds not frozen yet so any snow is a waste of time, need cold cold cold 1st and it's too early still.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can't help looking at the webcams daily and worrying. In the old days, pre webcams & internet, you had only newspaper snow reports to go by and often did now know snow conditions until arrival at resort
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In the past 2 years in the French Alps at least. It hasn't been till the end of November/early December that the snowfall and temperatures are going to help build a considerable sustainable base.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Really? I had two very enjoyable days skiing over the weekend in Verbier. Horizon will be back soon to post the pictures...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kendadj, Ah yes, the good old days, where the best conditions could be found in the upper slopes.......
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mitchell, I'm sat here wondering when the snow will literally swamp Val D'isere village, keeping a constant eye on the webcams for the first signs of snow at resort level. The piste staff are out on the cannons at the moment.

Mind you, I've done this before; thought it was going to be pants and like D G Orf says, arrived in resorts (Les gets last Year), woke up the next morning and had to wade through mountains of the stuff just to get to the first lift.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mitchell, nothing to worry about. Christmas is early this year and Easter is late, hence the season is stretched so they can't get the first snow delivered too early.

David
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DJ, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Xmas is the same time as it is every year wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boris wrote:
DJ, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Xmas is the same time as it is every year wink

Nah. It's on a Thursday this year. Last year it was a Tuesday rolling eyes

David
ski holidays
In which case surely it is late rather than early
snow report
Boris, No it's the Thursday before not the one after Confused
ski holidays
I wouldn't worry. Nick L will think it's Easter anyway... Wink
ski holidays
FastEddie, oy
snow report
Well it has snowed overnight in France! snowHead
latest report
Mitchell, go high or northernly, would seem to the way forward.

I'm off to Obergurgl over Xmas, and it's looking nice and white (and is apparently due to open this Friday!):
http://www.obergurgl.com/main/EN/GG/WI/wetter_schnee/livecams/index.html

Also off to Norway in Jan, and again the snow is looking fab at the mo:
http://www.geilo.no/WebKamera-Geilo/

Only problem is that rather than getting frustrated by the lack of snow, I'm getting frustrated that I'm not out there now. Goes to show you just can't win wink
ski holidays
It's snowed overnight, but likely to melt soon except at high altitude. But's it's early yet; no panic.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy