Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie, 08/09 season help please!

Poster: A snowHead
Myself; 21 been skiing since i was 12 but didnt really start getting into it properly till i was 17.

So basically im desperatley trying to get a seaon in the alps sorted and i know its really late to try but hey things happen. So can anyone point me places too look?

Been on natives and seasonworkers and they seem to have the same stuff, ive tried the bigger companies but as thought they are organised and sorted so can anyone help me out with places to look for somewhere that still needs people? Anyone got any contacts they havnt already let out the bag that could help would be greatly appreciated!

Ill get involved with most things, from washing the dishes to driving. Any help advice would be great!

Cheers Nick
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get a coupla creditcards and rock up in a resort within the next coupla weeks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHead and sorry i cant help with the dilema!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nick - send me your CV and I'll circulate amongst the Chalet Operators and other businesses in the Chamonix Valley.
No Guarantees but worth trying and at least 2 jobs were on offer today including minibus driver (big demand for clean driving licenses and good knowledge of route between Geneva Airport and Chamonix!)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nick-21, Welcome to snowHead
Good luck with the hunt, keep us informed when you get sorted.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Welcome Nick, when I was your age (a very long time ago!), I did a season as a resort manager with a UK tour op, which I felt was the best job in the resort (a lot of paperwork but no cleaning!). Probably not as much skiing time as I would have liked but when there's a job to do and all that. However, I did have fluent language and customer service skills to bag that job. They employed a lot of other people in resort too; chalet hosts, resort reps and a 'handyman'. I think they were still recruiting the last few places as late as October/early November although I had my position secured in September, so it's worth ringing round them all and see if they have anything available...

Basically they are looking for enthusiastic lively people with good customer service skills, language skills are useful (but only essential for resort manager's position) and chalet hosts need to have good cooking skills (some large chalets have a chef, so the hosts do less cooking but more cleaning). Resort reps do a bit of pretty much everything and I often had the chance with them to do some guiding which was great. Chalet hosts get less skiing time but most managed to get out for a couple of hours each afternoon...

Hope this builds a picture of working for a UK tour op in resort. Of course there are many other jobs out there. You could just turn up and find the busiest bars and offer your services. As I remember the popular bars and restaurants were almost always looking for staff...

Good luck!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chrismountaintracks,

Hey Chris that would be great thanks, where do you want me to send it? Just to the general email as in info @ mountaintracks .co .uk ?

Thanks
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Welcome to Snowheads Nick

The big TO's will mainly have there slots filled...BUT and it's a big BUT there will be drop outs, usually around early Jan when people are

a) Hating the mountains

b) Missing mum, dad, friends, teddy or their comfort blanket and want to go home

c) Have broken themselves

Often the TO's have reserve lists for people ready to go out in Jan - might be worth trying to get yourself onto those lists. I think you should also look at the non-TO type jobs (e.g. private chalet companies, independent apartment co's etc). Rather randomly I came across a couple of sites yesterday that seem to have a few jobs on them, and probably outside the 'from uk' catchment.

http://cham74.com/Category.asp?CategoryRef=18 and http://frenchalps.angloinfo.com/forum/forum.asp?FID=11

I would then second whitegolds views - get your butt out there and walk around. Lots of things advertised locally that you won't find on the web. I would however 'avoid' the classic seasonaires hotspots like tignes, as I would imagine that with people on the ground for the last few weeks in tignes (in particular) that a lot of the 'walk up' jobs might have gone.

Good luck...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nick-21, apply for EVERYTHING advertised on Natives etc - there are still jos out there. If you have no joy, consider calling everyone again immediately after Christamas - lots of dropouts at that sort of time.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard wrote:
nick-21, apply for EVERYTHING advertised on Natives etc - there are still jos out there. If you have no joy, consider calling everyone again immediately after Christamas - lots of dropouts at that sort of time.

I should have added and try phoning rather than just emailing a cv... if you managed to speak to the right person then it's much easier to convey keenness and enthusiasm for a white winter than via an email.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would add gumtree to the list of job sites, good luck! snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And have a look at the (4-page long) "free accommodation" thread currently running in the Piste.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone ever worked for skibound? got a place on the assesment day, anyone got any stories advice? I hope theres no horror stories but if there is id be grateful to know. Would be working as a general assistant.

Cheers
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GA for SkiBound: start on breakfast at 07:30, clean rooms until finished (about 11:30), serve dinner from about 18:00. Or clean rooms, serve lunch if you have schoolkids in, knock off at about 18:00 and have the evening free. Company is generally well organised and has experienced hotel managers. It's part of the evil TUI empire these days, but I'm told that the activity holidays branch escapes the worst of the corporate nonsense.

If (when) you're asked for resort preference, go for Serre Chevalier - the Frejus is an easy hotel, manager has been there years, staff accom isn't bad (staff chalet down the road) and the place is right next to the main lift.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard,

So would i be right in thinking if your cleaning rooms till 11.30 and then down to serve dinner you'll get the afternoon skiing? Or the other way round you'll be working till after the lunch time and only get an hour skiing but have the evening off?

Have you actually worked for skibound before then?

Thanks nick
ski holidays
nick-21, I've done various things for SkiBound, including hotel manager. If you're working a split shift you can ski all afternoon, but if you're doing day+lunch you don't get out until you finish at 18:00 or so. Usually one day per week. You won't ski on changeover either, so you can bank on five days a week on the hill.
ski holidays
nick-21. I'm currently stateside so slight delay in replying. yes - info @ etc
ski holidays
Thanks Chris, just sent you an email across!
latest report
My daughter worked as a GA for SkiBound last season in Tignes and had a fantastic time. Definately a work hard play hard culture. If you get the job you'll have a blast! Very Happy
snow conditions
Worked for Skibound years ago (1989-92ish), then they were gobbled up by First Choice and I thought they'd disappeared. Worked Super-Sauze, Les Orres & Morzine. Thoroughly enjoyed it, althought in those days they were still hiring squads of people to ski with the guests wink
snow report
Hi Nick,
if you are after chalet work try Silver ski, we did a couple of seasons for them before we set up our place and they are great to work for. Very laid back (as long as you do the work) and they make sure that you get plenty of time on the mountain.
Otherwise if you fancy barwork - so evenings with your days free I know of a couple of brs here in Bansko that are still looking for staff so pm and I will put you in touch with them.
latest report
I would second the Silver Ski comment, I met a couple working for them last year in Tignes and they had a ball, as you say, worked hard but found plenty of time to be on the mountain too - and the bar, which is of course where I met them!
snow report
Thanks for all this guys, have emailed silver ski too now. Still on the look out for things, so anything anyones got let me know! Very Happy Hopefully ill be in the alps by christmas yet!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy