Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner Skier

Poster: A snowHead
I am a beginner skier at 34 yrs. I have been away for a week to Andora & skied a few times at snowdomes but don't appear to be progressing. I am very rigid and scared of the slope which is annoying and always relieved to get to the bottom. But I do love it and want to get better!

Any Tips?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good teaching/coaching
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi I started at 40+, and am hooked/addicted, lessons are the best way to improve and some Bach rescue remedy, to steady your nerves Smile, I spend the first three/four weeks that I skied in lessons and it’s really paid off.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree with teaching, although the quality varies hugely between schools and countries. A bit of fitness goes a long way and tends to reduce the fear factor. Don't attempt slopes that scare you until you feel fully equipped to deal with them. The best instruction I've ever had was in Italy.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
smokeyjoe, Welcome to Snowheads. Look at the Trips forum to see Butterfly's special trip just for people like you! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
smokeyjoe, radar, & Philbo, welcome to snowHeads, the three of you!
smokeyjoe, I started at about the same age that you are now, and remember those feelings as if they were yesterday (wait for one smart alec to add a comment to my remark wink ) Bear with it; with lots of practice, a small lunchtime glass of wine, friendly folks to ski with that won't take you anywhere silly and lots and lots of good coaching will all help!

Do you have a trip planned for this season?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Michelle wrote:
a small lunchtime glass of wine

PANTS ON FIRE!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I learnt to ski at 39 and husband was 44 and had the usual group lessons - usually last in a line of 12 people! I moved from snow plough to parallel turns and enjoyed cruising around on blues and the odd motorway red for several years until we had a private two hour lesson in icy conditions in Reberty near Val Thorens with a brilliant ski instructor called Xavier. He gave me so much confidence in such poor skiing conditions that I felt I could tackle anything, especially in good conditions. I am no daredevil and don't go out of my way to find narrow black couloirs or anything, but my mind now knows that I can get down anything if I have to. So on your next ski trip treat yourself to at least one private lesson as it can make so much difference.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
smokeyjoe, welcome to snowHead s.
I started skiing at 27, and for me the thing which made the difference was private lessons - I shared an instructor with another complete beginner to keep the costs down, and the intense inital teaching enabled me to make a good start (shame it's not been sustained wink ).
easiski's recommendation of Butterfly's weeks in les Deux Alpes in March might be a good idea for you (easiski is doing the instruction in groups of 4 people or less, and I and many other snowHead s can vouch for the quality of her lessons).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi smokeyjoe
The link to the trip that is recommended above is in my signature below. You sound just like me, though after a few lessons with Easiski things have started to improve dramatically!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
smokeyjoe, there was a discussion that could be of some use to you here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=23709
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
smokeyjoe, Read the thread above, then consider going on the EoSB - that's where I conquered my fear factor. I had (though I didn't know it) sufficient technique at that time, but no belief in my ability and a huge amount of fear. What I needed was a load of slightly merry Snowheads to drag me round a mountain and not take 'No, I can't do that' for an answer.

If you don't think that will work for you then I'm sure Butterfly's week would be an excellent idea. Easiski has a great reputation on Snowheads for helping with us nervous folk and I've never seen anyone post on here that hasn't reported on a huge improvement once they have been Easi-skied Very Happy

I've been there and know where you are. I'm still a hopeless skier, but I'll have a go a lot more these days than I did - I've even done the odd run with red markers, but along the way I have learned that the colours of the poles aren't what really matters - for example, the state of the snow can override any steepness of slope.

Good luck and if you want some more encouragement continue to post on Snowheads or drop me a PM
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
smokeyjoe, from another thread
FastMan wrote:
Late to the party here.

Aggression has it's place in skiing, but think of it in the line you take more than the physical effort you put into it. A skill lacking skier will ski a black and appear to be in a life and death fight with the mountain, using every once of strength in what looks like a frantically desperate struggle to survive. A well skilled skier will flow down that same slope with a look of complete control and relaxation.

Fear is a limiting factor, and it affects everyone differently. Some have a high tolerance, some don't. Some can guts through the fear,,, ski terrain that pushes their current ability thresholds further than others. That's cool,,,, but if you're of a nature that doesn't have those type of tolerance levels, fear not. You have an avenue to great skiing too. You don't have to push your fear limits to the point of pant wetting, you can work on the other side of the equation. Push your confidence levels. Building skills builds confidence. More difficult terrain can be worked up to and skied without having to perceive yourself as risking life and limb, because your perceptions of what is scary and intimidating will change. And when you get on the steep terrain you feared back in your lesser skilled days, you will flow down that slope with a grace that will put to shame the courageous hack.

Have faith my cautious friends. Great skiing within your grasp too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
smokeyjoe, after my first week in a resort (after a number of sessions at artificial slopes, both inside and out) I was frankly quite awful - I would wager that I was considerably worse than you are (you mention getting to the bottom - that was a novel concept for me after a week Embarassed ).

I was reluctant to go skiing again, but like you enjoyed the experience, so I plucked up the courage to jump on the next ski trip. We went to Italy and I had an epiphany of sorts. Maybe it was the mountain air, maybe it was the resort, maybe having more friends around, or maybe it was the instructor. I don't know exactly why, but I went from being very stiff and nervous, to less stiff and less nervous. I progressed a huge amount that week for one reason or another (I was still a poor skier in the grand scheme of things mind).

So that's my advice. Pick a nice little resort and give it another go. You'll know what it feels like to be on snow, so you won't have that gawd awful feeling when you put the skis on for the first time in resort and they start sliding away from under you as you put them on. That was possibly what did it for me during my first week, it had me on guard a bit for the duration of that trip (this thought in my head of my skis shooting off from under me, with my attached, and taking me for a wild ride).

Give it another go with a good instructor (and if easiski is instructing on Butterfly's trip then I can think of no better place to start) and I'll put my house on it being much easier. snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i maybe no right, but my personnal opinion is that people who started skiing over 30 don't have a lot of room to progress. Of course it applies not to everyone. As a matter of fact i would suggest good snow school and read tutorials.
latest report
I know quite a few people who didn't start until 30+ even 50+ that are 'expert' skiers now. I started at age 30, and would easily be 'advanced' but not quite expert. I can ski almost anywhere at Whistler with a fair degree of control.
So to original question, since you are older, it is harder to learn, but possible.
I suggest the obvious, go get some lessons from a decent ski school, DON'T get lessons from friends. Friends are fine for 'pointers' but if they try to teach you too much, it will most likely be wrong and set you back. It's important to learn the basics correctly, as bad habits are hard to break, especially for the 30+ crowd.
Next, don't go too big too soon, pace yourself and stick to easier terrain until YOU feel comfortable to push to the next level (whether that be a blue or a double black)
And as someone said, have a beer or two for lunch, skiing is all about being relaxed and 'flowing' in the movements, BEER can help you relax Smile
Tense people don't ski well.
snow conditions
fess wrote:
i maybe no right, but my personnal opinion is that people who started skiing over 30 don't have a lot of room to progress.

Depend on how much time and effort they want to put in. Five trips a year, constant private or academy type lessons and you can go a long way.

There'sa couple of snowHeads who spring to mind.......
snow report
I started at 36, but then that was 864 years ago wink
snow report
fess, That's a very ageist view, and I think it's quite incorrect! Over 30 is not old to start, over 50 is definitely more problematical, and over 70 is deffo getting on a bit, but anyone can learn to ski well, within their self-imposed limits. Older people tend to learn more slowly than younger people, but it doesn't mean to say they can't learn or become good skiers.

wbsr, I really disagree about the beer - alcohol inhibits your reactions and your balance, ergo you tend not to ski so well - you just think you ski better! Shocked
snow report
Just to add to the chorus - lessons, with the right instructor, are the answer. And when you're practising what the instructor has told you, the best way to relax is to listen to some music, which can also help to get you into a rhythm of turning. Skiing with other people at the same level and having a laugh is also beneficial. And don't try anything at all difficult or intimidating till you are really confident and happy on easy slopes. Better to do the easy slope 20 times than totter twice down something scary. And as for 34 being old..... Shocked
snow report
smokeyjoe, only 34? The worlds your oyster. You can definitely do this, and get very good at it. You say you want to improve, and that's music to my ears, but if you really want to you have to do the work. Take lessons. easiski(two posts above mine) is a well respected coach who has helped many people here on Snowheads. Read the instructional forums here, there's much to be learned that can help you towards your goal. And explore instructional programs offered in print or video form. They expand your understanding of the sport, of where you want to go, and how you get there. And they can give you new things to work on when you're between lessons with your instructor. (check out the link in my signature line for this type of product)

Good luck with your learning journey in this great sport. I can sense your passion for it, and I predict you will go far and pocket many enjoyable memories and times.
latest report
pam w, I think the music idea is very much a matter of personal taste. I for example can't stand not being able to hear what's going on around me - whether it's feedback about what my skis are doing, someone shouting "aarrghh get outta the way!!" or the (hopefully distant) rumble of avalanches. Hoods are terrible - restricting both hearing and peripheral vision.
snow conditions
Yoda, I agree totally with that last post. Very Happy
ski holidays
I didnt start till i was 40 and have had ski school and private lessons and i am still crap!

Only kidding. There's no reason why anyone can't get to a level of ability and enjoyment to keep them coming back for more. Only being able to ski one week a year (as in my case) will seriously inhibit progress though as you spend a day or two getting back to where you left off. Having said that I have always moved on year on year, from snowplough to parallel to carving to more speed to trying stuff off-piste etc. But as i get older my aspirations have changed - maybe more a case of accepting my limitations. That makes it more enjoyable and less frustrating. A bit lit being able to play golf to an 18 handicap with confidence as opposed to wanting to get down to single figures and getting annoyed every time you play a poor shot.

Tips:
1. Take a few private lessons rather than ski school - and dont forget to do the exercises they teach you to improve your technique.

2. Dont get upset at locals who ski like they were born with skis on. Remember they probably had more weeks on skis before they were 4 years old than you will have in a lifetime of holiday skiing.

3. Have fun

4. Have fun
snow conditions
Yoda, yes, I'm sure music doesn't work for all. But I have had some very nervous, uptight, beginner friends who have been traumatised each time they hear someone on the slope behind them. If they totter around looking over their shoulder it makes it worse - very few skiers have the skills to get quickly out of the way of someone crashing down behind them! And for beginners it's disastrous - much better to go on slowly and predictably. On several occasions I've really bullied them into trying the music - which they've done just to keep me quiet (no easy task! wink ) and they've all found it makes them a lot more relaxed. It's worth a try.
Quote:

dont forget to do the exercises they teach you to improve your technique.

too right. The same beginner friends have often been mightily reluctant to do any exercises, even when I'm making a prat of myself doing mine. Those "Saturday Night Fever" turns are certainly much more fun to do to music....
latest report
Taking lessons is key.

However most ski schools teach the mechanics of skiing and cater for 10 or so pupils in a class. The mechanics are important but confidence is a major contributor on how quickly you progress. If you can get more personilised lessons in a small group of 4 pupils. If you can avoid the big ski schools like ESF in France, there are good instructors in ESF but they cater for the masses.

A good instructor will help you get more confidence, you will become more relaxed, you won't be as rigid, you will ski better. It's because you're tense and not relaxed that you feel relief at the bottom.

Very few people are borne skiers. Don't get frustrated and annoyed with your progress, that will slow your progress even further. You've only been for one week and it takes a long time to progress if you only ski for one week in the year.
ski holidays
fess, I started at age 45. I am now 50 and passed my Level 1 BASI instructor course this year, and am hoping to do Level 2 in 2009. You can learn to ski when you are older. I have learned relatively quickly, even when compared to many younger people. I have also done a race training course and took part in an open entry race last season which I won, despite the other female participants all being much younger than I was.

There is an chap probably in his 70's who skis regularly at the Snowdome, but he also boards - something he has learned relatively recently.

I'd go with private lessons or small group lessons with a good outfit like Snoworks or Inspired to Ski - Inspired to Ski does a novice and nervous course which I would recommend.
snow report
Quite frankly why would you bother learning anything after age 25, let alone learning to ski - you must be mad! You can't be a good skier unless you started when you were 3 weeks old, and even then that's pushing it! Shocked

Skiing is like most things - perfect practice makes perfect performance so lessons are key, preferably close enough together that you don't pick up bad habits in between. Private lessons are not always necessary - a good group lesson is often better than a poor private lesson. Don't compare yourself to others, enjoy what you can do and think of small goals to make up the big picture - completing one turn without falling, rather than one run without falling, is a good place to start.

The youngest student I've taught was 2 years old, but the oldest so far was 72. Guess which I have more respect for?!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good lessons - if you haven't got that yet........ snowHead And what generally works for me as a fully signed up member of the 'timid' brigade in terms of dealing with fear when practising or having got myself to a place I'd rather not be, is rather than listening to music, I create my own - much I'm sure to the horror of those around me! Anyone who follows a middle aged, woman down the slopes around St Gervais/Contamines/Megeve this year humming or 'singing' "que sera, sera" please say hello, it will almost certainly be me! The less under my breath it is, the more challenged I am feeling.
snow report
Annie, Laughing I used to sing, too. Still do, sometimes. It's good to keep in rhythm, but I did find that I would cheat; the tempo would adjust to fit the way I wanted to ski, rather than vice versa. Like when I had a flute lesson and thought I was doing rather well with some Mozart until my teacher put on the metronome... Embarassed

I'll listen out for you in Les Contamines! When are you off?
snow conditions
pam w, I've been known to cheat too....usually with the addition of extra lyrics of the expletive variety, or taking on the tone of a strangled cat. (some would say that's the normal timbre) I find it helpful though not only for rhythm but in giving me something else to concentrate on and preventing myself from being over analytical when the best solution is to 'just ski the thing'

8th of December is D day. All getting very excited in the Annie household....and not a little nervous.

Maybe we'll head over your way one day and we can duet .......or you can lock your doors and hide in a cupboard to preserve your hearing
ski holidays
Annie, our area won't be open till nearer Christmas, except at weekends if the snow's good. Have a great trip. snowHead
snow report
pam w, but we'll be there until April.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy