Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best base in Serre Chevalier?

Poster: A snowHead
Which of the bases in Serre Chevalier is best in terms of getting up the mountain in the morning with regard to lengthy morning queues?

Briancon, Chantemerle, Villeneuve, or Monetier?

Or is it much of a muchness?

If it depends on the week, then that beginning 31st Jan is the one I'm interested in.

If folk want to broaden 'best' in terms of nightlife, value for money, piste accessibility, ski schools, shops, etc. please go for it.

I've never been, but am in a group at the "It's Serre Chevalier, but which fricking village?" stage of trip planning...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm off to Monetier at Christmas. Due to its thermal baths/good skiing/good snow/traditional village charm.

I'm not sure that there will be particularly long queues at the time of year anywhere in the valley.

I've been enough times in the summer, but cannot comment about the winter in great detail. There are a number of people who live/own an appartment in the valley, they will answer your questions much better than I can.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
crosbie, should be uncrowded at the end of January, with no huge queues.
Monetier- traditional village, good restaurants, highest skiing, longer trip into the main domain, but it's a great piste. Return trip not as good, slow lift and a 'road' or two. Not so good for boarders. New thermal baths etc.
Villeneuve- central, good bars and restaurants. Easy access into the main domain.
Chantemerle- the restos weren't so good when we stayed there, but it was a while ago now. . However, others may disagree.
None of them have wild nightlife, but neither are they quiet and boring.

Have you looked at anything in particular yet? Chalets, hotel or apartments? It's location in the individual villages might be more of a factor that which one you choose.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Christoper and Helen! Smile

I did have a look at Chalet Chamoissiere, but it appears to be fully booked for my week (31/1).

Hotel Rif Blanc in Monetier seems to have my group's eye at the mo.

Glad to hear there's not much in the way of queuing.

When you say 'not so good for boarders' do you mean that there are tricky/flat pathways and flats without schusses? I'm an experienced boarder, so I'm not too worried either way, but am curious to know if I'm in for a bit of walking whilst everyone else poles (I'm the only boarder).

Are we talking about 'return-to-chalet ' or inter-piste connections?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
crosbie, yes, it is booked from the 27th unfortunately, we do have availability for the previous week though, and could do a midweek-midweek 7 nights for cheaper flights if you haven't booked them already. Rif Blanc is OK, it has been recently refurbished, has a nice bar, although it does have school parties from time to time, and I did hear some bad reports from a SnowHead about the evening meals, so it may be better to book it B&B . crosbie, if you are an experienced boarder you should be fine, the paths aren't too flat. These are the return links from Villeneuve to Monetier, not the final runs of the day.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
the only good point about being in monetier is the terrain to ride. Everything else is definately a no no.

it is toooooooo far away from anything else to make it worth looking at.

if you want good terrain, good night life, good food Villeneuve.
if you want good terrain, ok night life, great food and close enought to get anywhere go chantemerle
if you want cheaper everything go to briancon

if your happy with being stuck to far from anywhere else to apreciate anything more than monetrier then stay there.

this is why we didn't buy in monetier.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The date is cast in stone. Thanks Helen, for clarifying the snowboarding aspects. Sounds quite acceptable.

I did notice that the feedback on the hotel seemed to indicate it was popular with school parties.

Anyone have easy recommendations for better budget half/board hotels that aren't too couple oriented, i.e. have single rooms and family rooms?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 10-11-08 18:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowangel., Those sound like good tips. Ta. Smile

I did think from the maps I've seen that Villeneuve looked like the hub.

Unfortunately, I'm not high up in the pecking order with regard to picking the accommodation or which village it is. Sad

My group needs a ski school, low prices, and is into half-board. So, my interests in nightlife and restaurants are a tad redundant. rolling eyes

I'm looking out for major problems - like a hotel that serves school dinners for supper. Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
crosbie,
I don't think that where you stay makes such a huge difference. Thiough the connections between Monetier and the main Villeneuve /Chantemerle hub are not the fastest, neither are they that bad. Monetier is definately a quieter place to start from. The worst individual lifts in the area are probably in the Frejus sector of Villeneuve.
Personally I think Monetier is a bit more attractive than the other places though it is partly dependant on where abouts you go within the areas and there are quite af ew smaller villages within each area.
I usually go to Briancon but then I'm a cheapskate. wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
crosbie, Chantemerle has 3 uplift options - Telecabin, newish 6 man demountable chair and bubble. All from the centre. I wouldn't think the queues would be too bad at the time you're looking to go. The main bowl above Chantemerle is Serre Ratier which is quite popular for food stops etc. I think there are three main restaurants to choose from. Skiing down to resort level requires either the black Luc Alphand Olympic piste or a green track - long and winding. There is a red marked on piste maps, but in 5 trips there I've never seen it open.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We stayed in Chantermerle first week in Feb last season. Choice of cable car, mini-gondola or fast chair up from the village, so no queues, also a very handy place with lockers to rent for skis/boots a few yards from the piste. Nice bar at the bottom for a couple of apres beers, but everything was dead after 6pm. Restaurants decent, but quiet - when we made a return visit we were greeted like long lost friends! Did find a bar with happy hour (2 beers for the price of one) between 9 and 10pm, even then it was almost empty. Skiing was superb Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RobinS, That mini-gondola you are refering to Grand Alpe, I believe has been dismantled.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
crosbie, the Rif won't serve school dinners to a private booking, but they had problems with the chef last winter. They may have been resolved now.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Went to Serre Chevalier twice last year & think you can't go wrong staying in Briancon.

Can recommend Hotel Vauban (200m from gondola) - which was recommended to us by a fellow snowHead.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Would certainly say that it is NOT much of a muchness when it comes to the resort. Have stayed in several locations in Villeneuve, from Le Bez which is quiet, old village atmos; at Aravet where you are right by the slopes and are not unreasonable staggers to shops; in the P&V apts near Pra Long, so not too far from shops, and in the old main drag in Villeneuve, with nice old villagey feel, restaurants and ski shops, but a stagger to the slopes. We also stayed in Briancon at what is now the Mercure at the Grande Boucle but it was a bit isolated and we were so lazy we drove to the gondola. Chantemerle is always more buzzier feeling in the day I think and has some nice ski shops and bars. We had a good stay in the Plein Sud - nice pool and good food a few years ago.

Getting back to queues - unless you are daft enough to set off up the mountain at about 9.30 to 9.45 on a gondola, i.e. Peak ski school setting off time, you will probably never encounter a queue of great note. Serre Che is in the words of our very ancient good ski guide 'BIG', and the only place it gets busy is at the chair lift above Cafe Soleil up to the top sector at Serre Ratier in our experience. Popular spot and rightly so!

Enjoy.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, thanks for the reassurance re the Rif.

Having to go half-board means the hotel choice is quite important to me from a dining perspective.

I wonder if Hotel Europe might be more likely to have the edge in this respect. I'm into traditional Savoyarde more than chalet style nouvelle cuisine.

The Serre Chevalier website notes for Hotel Europe that "A traditional choice French cuisine is on offer with gastronomical and mountain specialities. Recommended by the 'Le Bottin Gourmand' 2000".
snow report
Really like the look of this place, the Chalet Hotel de Serre Ratier. Not too many options for going out in the evening though, bar skiing down and walking back Shocked I wonder if they provide any vehicular service.......

Must be incredibly peaceful in the evening/night.
snow report
crosbiethe food at the Europe is certainly more traditional French We usually eat there on New Years eve, and it is excellent. There is also the Hotel Alliey but it is a bit more expensive.
ski holidays
Christopher,
Quote:

hors Piste
Location: OxfordI'm off to Monetier at Christmas. Due to its thermal baths/good skiing/good snow/traditional village charm.

Absolutely right. That is why we have a place there, and no there probably will not be much of a queue anywhere.

But please do not tell anyone, or better still make derogatory remarks about the place. That way my winter haven will remain unspoilt!

It does have it's draw backs; you tend to mainly get traditional regional food perhaps cooked in a fire wood burning oven;naff pop musak from the next door pub doesn't lull you to sleep every night; you don't get the ski queue banter with hordes of pointy elbowed Italians and large Germans.

If however you would like a crowd it is only a quick ski to the rest of the resort. (or a short bus shuttle ride if you're so inclined).

That is not to knock the rest of the area though. I have stayed in and skied it all and always had a good time. Indeed I still do ski the whole area and visit over parts (from my base in Monetier). Yes some accommodation may be a long trek to the slopes, and the pistes back to resort may get churned up and crowded, but where would you not get that! (Oh Monetier!)
latest report
Chasseur, I fantasised about buying that very hotel on SnowHeads once, as it closed down for a time. I was going to call it the Hotel California,with pink champagne on ice, and KuwaitIan was going to run the bar.

EDIT-found the thread, and guess what you were posting in there too Laughing http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=35008&highlight=hotel+california#35008
latest report
Incidentally, I presume everyone knows about Google maps streetview?

With luck this link http://tinyurl.com/5n4ylt brings up a map with a virtual camera pointed at The Rif Blanc hotel in Monetier, Serre Chevalier. You can even 'drive' down to Briancon, etc. if you want - taking a look at the views as you go.
snow report
crosbie, if you move it around a little bit,you will see Chalet Chamoissiere too.
ski holidays
http://tinyurl.com/55qxhu is the link.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, Cool innit? snowHead
latest report
crosbie, snowHead Cool
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy