Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know when its back?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just had a look on the BeeB website and it says back for a new series in 2009! Thought it might start earlier, can anyone remember when it started last year? I'm off skiing in January and was looking forward to watching it in the build up to get my juices flowing.

Also came across a number of arguements just now about the style of Ski Sunday, and remember some fairly negative comments on here, I however liked the new format and was actually glad that it didn't just concentrate on the racing side of things. Very Happy

Comments.......
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
reded78, thats what I found as well. A date might be good!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski Sunday started on 20th January 2008
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I thought ski-sunday and the C4 prog has gone really downhill. Sad
If they were really interested about the sport, more would be on now, after all the ski season has already started.
Ski sunday used to be about the ski-ing. Who won, who improved etc. Very Happy
Recently the progs and presenters seemed more interested in promoting the ski area and their own self interests, rather than ski-ing per say. Sad
I supose they have to repay the discounted accomodation, free gear that they get, by the free promotion they are providing? wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ski Sunday starts again on 18th Jan. it is being split in two... the racing prog will be on Sunday afternoon and will be called, you'll never guess, "Ski Sunday". All the non-racing "Top Gear" stuff will be in a late night sunday show and the beeb haven't thought of a name for it yet. It'll be more of a travel prog and things like celebrity racing are gone. C4's skiing progs have bit the dust but, some good news, Eurosport will be showing the Austrian races as well as all the others. Otherwise, rumoured that ESPN Classic (Channel 442) are hoping to show all the vintage Ski Sundays starring Mr David Vine. Let's hope so.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BMF_Skier, think thats a fair call. Unfortunately I actually like the format as is and I suppose a lot of people like me do.

In other words, Ski Sunday as a promoter of the actual sport of skiing is limited, whereas Ski Sunday as a promoter of the pastime of skiing is very good. Frustrating for people like yourself, but it seems they've gone the mass market route. Oh well. Either way Id still watch it.

Phil_D, thanks for that rolling eyes . Hope you Sky+'d it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller, nice work. Will you set my Sky+ wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peter Leuzzi, what again?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry BMF_Skier, but I (and I suspect a lot of others) find
down-hill skiing mighty dull.
One guy against the clock. Every run looks the same. Just the outfits change. Boring.

Much more fun and interesting is
Skier Cross, or whatever you call it these days.
A bunch of skiers racing (or boarders) going head-to-head down a track.
Now,
that is exciting.

Or they could show some of this
some of this snowHead snowHead

But like others here, I quite like the "Ski Sunday as a promoter of the pastime of skiing" (to quote Peter Leuzzi). The resort reports have usually been very good.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BMF_Skier, I liked the new format and found it to be very entertaining. And then if you pressed the red button at the end you could then get more ski racing if you wanted. I thought they did a good job of promoting the sport and the mountains as a holiday destination. Maybe the programme needed a new name instead of Ski Sunday.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I agree with the above that the programme was much more interesting as a promoter of skiing rather than just ski racing. As part of that I did find the highlights of the race events interesting but would not have sat through a full "live" coveraeg of such events. Full blown race coverage is much more at home on somewhere like Euro Sport where dedicated fans can have the chance to see the races in depth but the rest of us are not put of a programme like Ski Sunday.

And as far as comparing it to "Top Gear" like television, that in my eye's is hardly a criticism, but bringing it to a wider audience.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonpim, geetee, I like all ski-ing, whether it be downhill, slalom, tricks, skier cross, as long as its done well. There's lots more ski-ing than downhill and it starts a lot sooner that January.

Bode Swiller, Glad they are splitting of the 'Holiday' element off in to a seperate prog, it means I can give the 'freeloaders on a jolly' a miss. Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I enjoy Ski Sunday's format as an entertaining program, showing different resorts etc. For watching the ski racing there, Eurosport which covers virtually all the events usually live. They are never going to show much racing in 40 mins worth of Ski Sunday, much better leaving that to Eurosport and focusing on other bits of the industry and the travel element for the average punter.

I know they are calling Ski Sunday the 'Top Gear of Snow' but lets face it they are entertainment rather than technical programs and as reded78, bringing it to a wider audience, which isnt always a good thing wink I feel that a purely technical program would only appeal to a minority in the country and so would eventually fade away, better leaving that to other channels who can blow avertisers money on it Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller wrote:
SC4's skiing progs have bit the dust

Really? That's a disaster! How are we supposed to watch WC skiing if we don't subscribe to Sky? Sad
ski holidays
That's bad news about C4, was only looking for it this morning Sad Sad There was some silly programme last Sunday about London Freeze.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:
SC4's skiing progs have bit the dust

Really? That's a disaster! How are we supposed to watch WC skiing if we don't subscribe to Sky? Sad

Buy an analog satellite receiver and dish on eBay.

The only C4 programme that I saw last season was a repeat of the one covering the British Champs and I wasn't impressed.
snow report
rjs wrote:

How easy is it to point the dish in the right direction to get a strong enough signal? Do you need some sort of meter to make sure you get a decent signal or do you just point the dish approximately in the right direction?
ski holidays
rob@rar, Mine was originally set up using a meter but it has been moved by strong gusts of wind several times and I was able to realign it myself. It obviously helps if you can see the TV when you are moving the dish.
snow report
rob@rar, when we moved house and took our old analog dish with us( to watch eurosport as we didnt subscribe wink ) I just fixed it to the wall in the general direction and fine tuned it with shouts from SWMBO Smile Luckily it didnt take too long Toofy Grin Im sure you can get the settings from the net somewhere and sort it Confused
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
rjs wrote:

How easy is it to point the dish in the right direction to get a strong enough signal? Do you need some sort of meter to make sure you get a decent signal or do you just point the dish approximately in the right direction?

It's not difficult, but you must obtain the best strength and quality of signal you can get. Unlike a TV aerial, the tolerance on positioning a satellite dish (especially the digital systems) is usually + or- a couple of mm at most. You could be lucky and use the hit or miss method (left a bit... right a bit...) but a meter is definitely worth getting about £15.00 + VAT from Screwfix.
snow report
Hywel wrote:
a meter is definitely worth getting about £15.00 + VAT from Screwfix.

OK, that sounds a sensible plan. So I need an old analogue dish and an old analogue receiver (?) to be able to point it at a German (?) satellite to receive German Eurosport free of charge? Will this stuff be on eBay?
ski holidays
rob@rar, You will still get the British commentary on Eurosport, it is just some of the adverts that are in German.
snow report
So will we miss out on

"hello, I'm Chemmy Alcott. You need to get fit to ski. Here's some footage of me in tight shorts. See you next week!"

and

"This is an expensive hotel in the resort. It has a restaurant. I'm having a drink in the bar. Look at the bed in the bedroom - it's huge!"

?
snow report
doctor_eeyore, as long as we get "hello, I'm Chemmy Alcott. Look at the bed in the bedroom - it's huge!", then I still fee we're on the right track Wink
snow report
Quote:

"hello, I'm Chemmy Alcott. You need to get fit to ski. Here's some footage of me in tight shorts. See you next week!"

and the problem is?
snow report
Quote:

"hello, I'm Chemmy Alcott. Here's some footage of me in tight shorts. See you next week!"

this would be better..

ski sunday was okayish for what it was...I watch all the all the racing/jumping/sliding etc on eurosport anyway..I'm more annoyed that the Eurosport website for has been ruined by Yahoo buying it and the English siet having next to nothing about wintersports.

Think C4 will still be doing some skiing on the early Sunday morning slot, but its more likely freestylee stuff.
snow report
Quote:

So will we miss out on

Laughing

I think they just need to get the balance right. A more "entertainment" based program is fine as long as it's interesting, watching Ed Leigh sitting on a train for a week just to see him snowboard for 30 seconds in Siberia is not entertaining. It's supposed to be Ski Sunday, not Whicker's World.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy