Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Weekend near Geneva - Late Janaury

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Thought I would put this one out there again for advice. We are a group of 4 30 something guys (2 x skiiers, 2 x snowboarders) with flights booked for late Janaury to Geneva for 4 nights and were looking for advice on which resort to choose.

Priority will deffinately be the skiing - would like ski in / out if possible and prefereably not too far from Geneva. Nightlife would most likely consist of a "few beers and a pizza" rather than big nights out (we can get a hangover in the UK!).

We have been looking at Flaine, but not sure if that would be too quiet. Anyone stayed in the Residence Pierre & Vacances Flaine La Foret??

Look forward to any responses, please feel free to suggest specific accommodation if you know any.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
reded78, if you want near Geneva AND lively nights, go to Chamonix. Won't be ski in/out (for which Flaine is definitely the best bet) but you can't have everything. 4 30-something guys can probably make their own noise?

Do your flights straddle a weekend? If so, your first task is to find accommodation which will allow you to cut into two of the usual Sat/Sat French arrangements. That will reduce the choice a lot.

Going into Switzerland might be a good bet - someone who knows the Swiss resorts will be along in a minute.

If you have a car, another option would be stay down in Sallanches and ski a different resort every day. For example Chamonix, Flaine, Les Contamines, Megeve. Not that Sallanches is likely to be awash with revelry at 10 pm on a Tuesday.......
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thnaks pam w, Our dats are Thursday 15th - Monday 19th Jan. We already have an offer to stay in the new Intrawest place in Flaine, but a couple of the group want to keep options open. Flaine looks good as all the reports seem to suggest that if there is snow anywhere Flaine and the surrondings are as likely as anywhere to have a decent covering.

Chamonix does not really appeal as would prefer to be in a smaller area with not too much travelling each day to get on the slopes, and as I say skiing is the top priority and if we are some where quitier we are less likely to be lead astray by the bright lights.

Had a look at the Swiss resorts but they all seem to be a good treck from Geneva, and many of the French resorts seem to be nearer. Avoriaz looked good, but blimey the accommodation looks very small and expensive compared to soem other areas. Is it a case of you get what you pay for?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did a long weekend to Les Contamines last January. I was very impressed by the place - good skiing, nice village and only an hour ish drive from Geneva.

PLus i got to watch the Freestyle Skiing World Cup which was on the weekend I was there (skier cross on the Saturday and half pipe on the Sunday evening! Bonus.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
reded78, Avoriaz would probably be perfect for you, but your right the apartments are generally small so if that's not what you want maybe have a look at Morzine or Chatel, won't be as ski in / ski out but you'll probably find something a little bigger. Some people aren't keen on Avoriaz and it's looks but for convenience it can't be beat. You'll find a couple of bars to keep you going, most of the main nightlife is down in Morzine and you'll be right by the lifts where ever you are. Only 1 hour from Geneva too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
reded78, Did a long weekend in La Clusaz a couple of years ago. Only about 1.5hrs from GVA lots of skiing and boarding to be had. Plenty of places for beers and pizzas and a few quietish drinks.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
reded78, We can offer weekends in Samoens, Grand Massif, catered, so no need to be tempted to stay out Very Happy and although not ski in/out, very convenient with ski guiding if needed - less than an hour from GVA. PM me if of interest
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try les Carroz. It is the Grand massif, and about an hour by ski from Flaine so you could spend all day their if you wished. Hotel Bois de la char is literally on the slope. You could ski into the bar. It is also only a 10 minute walk from the centre of town, and of course 1 hour or less from Geneva. Foods a bit iffy( ie bread croissants and coffee for breakfast, and basic but decent food for dinner, - you could do a B&B option and walk into town at night. but OK. Accomodation decent in a travellodge sort of way. The hotel position though is perfect
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the comments guys, it is much appreciated. The ease of getting on the slopes in the morning is deffinately of interest, but looking at some of the comments above maybe should consider some out lying villages as well. Just makes the choice harder.

I know - I think I will put a post on the Weather Outlook thread for a laugh and ask exactly where will be snowing in Mid Jan, and see what kind of response I get.... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Reded78

DallyPaul's No 1 wife here
Why not come and stay with us in Morzine. We have ensuite twin and quad rooms and run on a B&B basis so you can do your beers and pizzas nights at home if you want to. We're near the Super Morzine bubble lift so access up to Avoriaz and the surrounding slopes is easy, and we're only 1.5 hours from Geneva. All our details are on www.apexmorzine.com
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
www.skiwhitegold.co.uk

based in morzine. really good chalet. rooms basic but rest of chalet superb (tv lounge, bar, games room, sauna, ski tech room). food superb. hosts really nice (british couple who own chalet and live on site). very flexible on short breaks. can arrange transfers. costs about £65 pppn fully catered. ski bus stop 30m from drive. no much nightlife but a very short taxi ride into main town.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hi THERE THIS IS MY FIRST POST!! we also have booked late jan .Were flying into geneva over a fri-tues we found an appartment in st gervais next to the ski lift for £160 for 4 people!!we booked through exidia. Cool
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jojo147 wrote:
hi THERE THIS IS MY FIRST POST!! we also have booked late jan .Were flying into geneva over a fri-tues we found an appartment in st gervais next to the ski lift for £160 for 4 people!!we booked through exidia. Cool

Welcome to snowHead

it's almost as addictive as going skiing..but it's a poor substitute really...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
reded78, I have booked a short trip for 5 30-smoething blokes for the end of Jan for the last couple of years - always went March, previously.

If your focus is on the skiing, then you should really think again about Chamonix. I know it seems a bit of a faff moving around the area, but it's nowhere near as much hassle as it first appears.

Alternatively, I have details of an apartment in Morzine who rent by the day! PM me if you want details.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rainman, how long does it take to get up and down from Morzine if you want to ski high. Also whats are the slopes around Morzine like?

I know it's quiet but we've got our eye on Flaine at the moment. Rolling out of bed and straight onto the slopes sounds good to us.
ski holidays
reded78, I'll have to bow to others on that front - it's our first trip to Morzine! There are plenty around here that can offer more info on Morzine. The apt. is just by the Nyon lift.
latest report
jojo147, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
This is my place so I am bias www.413Ski.com, it's next door to the grand montets lift.

But Argentiere sounds like it will fit you perfect. Hour from Geneve, high slopes and half a dozen or so bars that fit the non night clubber to a tee. The slopes are some of the best in Europe.
ski holidays
Seems like lots of SPAM in here so I'll join in. I can do mega luxury at a silly good price for January. Verbier is 'obviously' a better choice, we've already been skiing for two weeks, great party scene and awesome skiing. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy