Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The pistes with no names

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The resurfacing of the 'fave pistes' thread reminds me of a gripe I have with Austria
(or the Ski Amade area anyway)

None of the pistes have names, theres something a little unromantic about cruising 21a. Thought the French were a little cautious with there names (Marmot etc) until I came to Austria. Not been to USA/Canada but the piste names tempt me if nothing else.

Does the whole of Austria consist of numbered pistes? And if so why the aversion to names?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Monkfish, You do get the occasional named piste in Austria (e.g. The Harakiri in Mayrhofen), but mainly they are just numbered, yes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Monkfish wrote:
Does the whole of Austria consist of numbered pistes? And if so why the aversion to names?

No, for example, all the pistes in Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis have names. Their new black piste is called Kamikaze (similar to the mentioned Harakiri)
I prefer pistes with numbers, especially when skiing the first time in a resort.
With names, I always had to stop at the crossings to figure out where to ski next, but the numbers are clearly visible from the distance.
Maybe I got accustomed to the numbers too much. Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I like numbered pistes, Kitzbuhel has a good one, it's a red run, number...now let me think.... wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I skied Combe Sans Nom in Val Thorens a couple of times last season.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd have no chance of remembering which piste was which if they just had numbers. The names give you a clue (Harikiri, Kamikaze, versus Verte or Ecureil). And many have geographically relevant names which also help you to make sense of it all.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I like names but also they fact that they can then have numbers counting down must make it easy to alert people in case of accident.

rob@rar, Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Never mind the ones with no name. Some resorts have Pistes that simply got lost Confused Now there's a problem!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy