Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hokkaido: Best time of February for Niseko & Teine

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm planning on going skiing in Niseko and maybe a day or two at Teine during February 2009. I'm choosing February because I believe that's when the snow should be at it's best and because Chinese New Year will be well and truly over by then. Let me know if my logic is flawed.

My questions are as follows:
- Is there a better time within February (beginning, middle, end) to ski in Niseko?
- Are there any regional holidays during February that I should be avoiding? And;
- Can anybody recommend some good ski-fields within easy/quick access of Sapporo other than Teine?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 7-11-08 8:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ordinary_Skiier,

PM Mike Pow...he might be the best bet for this region
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went middle of March this year and the snow was hard in the morning and soft in the afternoon. Skiers there said it was seldom that bad. The information does suggest Feb is the month to aim at.

Can't help on transport or holiday time but I don't think Japan is anywhere like the Alps. However the Chinese new year will definitely bring in a big crowd from the skiers in the neighbouring countries will be there.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi there

I was in Hokkaido last winter in Feb and conditions were quite superb. It was widely reported that before mid / late february there is a great deal of snowy days - great for the snow but not likely to bronze the cheeks. One really cool feature of the skiing there is that Hokkaido is low but bitterly cold and you often have great tree cover to help with the poor visibility during the peak months of snowfall. I have skied in pretty much all the main ski destinations and for the all round experience (snow, culture, food etc) I would choose Hokkaido over just about anywhere. Regarding skiing close to Sapporo then my colleague skied that region, I was further East. Please take a look at our map of the Japanese resorts:http://www.ineedsnow.com/ski-holidays-japan.html. Lake Toya is a very small ski area and resort complex but the scenery is quite incredible with volcanic lakes. Nisseko is close to Sapporo and has very diverse ski resorts serving an excellent ski area.

I hope this helps

matthew
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
My questions are as follows:
- Is there a better time within February (beginning, middle, end) to ski in Niseko?

Can only provide stats for the Niseko Resort Area for the past two winters:

01 to 07 Feb 07 75 cm
01 to 07 Feb 08 107 cm

08 to 14 Feb 07 75 cm
08 to 14 Feb 08 45 cm

15 to 21 Feb 07 45 cm
15 to 21 Feb 08 82 cm

22 to 28 Feb 07 40 cm
22 to 29 Feb 08 57 cm

Powder underfoot and powder falling from the sky is pretty much guaranteed throughout the month of February.

Quote:
- Are there any regional holidays during February that I should be avoiding?

No but you might want to time your visit to coincide with the Sapporo Snow Festival

http://www.snowfes.com/english/place/
http://www.yamasa.org/japan/english/destinations/hokkaido/snow_festival.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapporo_Snow_Festival

Quote:
- Can anybody recommend some good ski-fields within easy/quick access of Sapporo other than Teine?

Sapporo Kokusai
http://www.gnarlyboarders.co.uk/blogs/sloths_blog/archive/2008/05/15/sapporo-kokusai.aspx

Kiroro
http://www.kiroro.co.jp/index_f.php

Kamui Ski Links
http://asahikawa-tourism.com/asahikawa/asahikawa_winter/kamui_ski_links/kamui_ski_links.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
saikee, think I was there about the same time - slightly annoying seeing so much snow piled up in the village and then not getting knee-deep powder on the hill, but at least the cold meant the snow was still pretty awesome from the previous dump...must go back again in Feb Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ChrisWo,

The wife didn't like the soft snow and I found it hard working too comparing with those in the the Alps. It was very tiring to ski at the bottom. Only the top section was enjoyable where the snow base was firm.

It was only a couple of bright sunny days in Mar and some of the runs were condoned off. We could see big cracks between snow. Niseko is still too near to the sea I think.

We don't have such problem in the Alps because of the continental weather ensuring the snow base and the underlying soil are still pretty firm even the top is slushy at the top.

It was an experience like seeing single lift with nothing to hang on to and couldn't find any snow making facility in the whole resort.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saikee,

I think you went to the Niseko Resort Area for the wrong reason.

The whole point is to go there and ski/ride soft, unconsolidated snow off-piste. Of which there is plenty. Even last March.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah, excellent post Mike Pow! Exactly the kind of info I was after. I was in Niseko in late February last year, and overall it was excellent but booking was difficult due to the CNY crowd.

Cheers.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You're more than welcome.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Can only provide stats for the Niseko Resort Area for the past two winters:

01 to 07 Feb 07 75 cm
01 to 07 Feb 08 107 cm

08 to 14 Feb 07 75 cm
08 to 14 Feb 08 45 cm

15 to 21 Feb 07 45 cm
15 to 21 Feb 08 82 cm

22 to 28 Feb 07 40 cm
22 to 29 Feb 08 57 cm

Powder underfoot and powder falling from the sky is pretty much guaranteed throughout the month of February

Mikw Pow, where do you get this sort of info from? I am keen to get similar info for other resorts and others years (for Niseko) if possible
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
samwillis5,

Mike Pow is a skiing instructor working in various international resorts. Think he stations around Niseko for certain parts of the year.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ordinary_Skiier wrote:
but booking was difficult due to the CNY crowd.

I wonder if the Sapporo snow festival would have the similar effect of making it difficult to book lodging?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy