Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should we join the Ski Club of Great Britain

Poster: A snowHead
Yoda,
Quote:

well let's give the lady the benefit of the doubt and assume she's honest eh lads?

She may well be honest , but the detail of the follow up does suggest an awful lot of prior knowlege rather than a skim through google.

I am with achilles, the initial question is a little faux naive.

PS Not that it is not a reasonable question although along with helmets etc it has been seen before once or twice on here.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 7-11-08 17:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yeah does seem a tad troll.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alison Arulia wrote:
So, should my family join?

Definitely not. We don't want your sort. Razz
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alison Arulia, I am afraid I share Bode and Achilles's suspicion - I think that was a piece of fishing by you - more obvious at the start and the end - more subtle in the middle - which is why I stayed out of it.

Simple clarifications - which your love of google should have made unnecessary:

1) The club shed its role in snowsports organisation decades ago. It has a totally different aim now - and has had for ages.
2) I think you are wrong about the "small group of people" currently running the club - although I did wonder if you might have links with the small bunch of middle-aged blokes from a single resort who seem to be currently trying to take it over Confused
3) I agree with you that the reps aren't guides - most are good recreational skiers, and some are very very good - but that isn't really what it is about. You have to look at them as a bunch of mates you might have a social day's skiing with. If you expected an IAFGM person for more than 1 day a year at the current subscription you must be naive. Unfortunately there seem to be some people who regard them as Guides-on-the-cheap - available season-long, which they are not. That is a shame.

It is a simple decision about whether the membership benefits outweigh the cost. For me the answer (intermittently) is yes. Reps, Freshtracks, Insurance, Web page, Ski TV and discounts.

That is the basis on which you should be making your decision - as megamum & snowball said - but based on your last post - which seems to me to be a pre-scripted spiel about the history and philosophy and structure of the club - I wonder if you were ever really asking the question in good faith in any case... Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stoatsbrother, seconded in every detail.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stoatsbrother wrote:
based on your last post - which seems to me to be a pre-scripted spiel about the history and philosophy and structure of the club - I wonder if you were ever really asking the question in good faith in any case... Sad

I am sorry you doubt my motives but that is up to you. I defend your right to disagree. I spent 2 hours on the internet last night searching and reading many many web pages to gage the rights and wrongs of if we should join. The overwhelming consensus (apart from the Club's own web site and and some noticeable exceptions) was negative; for the reasons I put in my 2nd long post. I had no information about the Club unti I started my search last night.

I spent another half another an hour on Word composing my post which I imagined would give my thoughts on the subject (which I thought was the basic meaning of the word "forum"). Obviously I was wrong as it has been misconstrued. Again I am sorry for any offence I may have caused.

I am of an age (lets just say my prime has been from the late 60's up to now, and still going strong wink ) that I tend to listen more to other people's opinions and thoughts (or, in the case read websites) and then make up my mind about a topic. I may be totally on the wrong track but I believe that each person's ideas have value. I now understand that my thoughts have upset some people and maybe I should have written a less thought-out post but I will leave your forum now so as not to upset anyone else. That really was never my intention I am very sorry.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alison Arulia, understood, and let me be the first to apologize for doubting your bona fides. You were not to know that this site was founded on the basis of a 'disagreement' with the Ski Club of Great Britain and that there remains quite a lot of bad feeling here towards the Ski Club. Also, albeit unconsciously, you have echoed some of the heated arguments which have been conducted both on this forum and on the Ski Club forum itself, about the nature and purpose of Ski Club 'repping.' The important thing to remember in that connection is, simply, that the reps are neither guides nor teachers, so if it is guiding and teaching that you want, you would have to look elsewhere: however, some Freshtracks holidays come with both (in addition to holiday 'leaders' who have gone through the rep training).

Congratulations on the depth of research which you have carried out. It's really impressive, even though, unfortunately, it may have led some of us to believe that you had already come armed with the answers to your own questions and that there was therefore some ulterior motive to your post.

Apologies once again.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alison Arulia, It still seems bizarre that you should judge what is basically a package of benefits - on anything less than that package of benefits. I do hope you will continue to post on snowHeads. But your research on the internet seems to have led to some misapprehensions and rather strange ideas. And as you were warned up front - this forum itself exists as a result of a decision of the club to stop non-members using its forum, an action which was necessary because of some bizarre legal circumstances.

I was very impressed about how impartial the snowHeads who replied to you were. But that has not always been the case. If you found results from this and other forums from Google you would get a very skewed view of the club.

What I don't understand is why most of the things you mention in your longer post are of any relevance to your choice at all. Still smells very very fishy to me...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle, seen her bona fides then???
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stoatsbrother, if there is any doubt, I'd rather give an infrequent poster the benefit of it, it's more friendly and, as admin has said elsewhere, we should try to be welcoming. Mind you, I see that the OP has been reading the forum "for years" so she might reasonably have anticipated a few cynics jumping down her throat. Embarassed
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alison Arulia (if you do come back and read this), I think it is a shame that you were scared off in the first place. While I can see that some people *may* have been suspicious of the content of your post it's not a reason for you to not make the most of this and any other forum. I think you were entitled to ask the question, it's one I've asked myself too, and I think sharing your research in such a thorough way is perfectly acceptable too. Obviously, for some (not me) there is a history here, and as in real life, there are those who will jump to conclusions based on very little information and perhaps draw conclusions about new posters without much substance. Sometimes this can be a very hostile forum. Certainly when I first came here I thought they were a very hostile bunch - I still feel slightly put off from posting because of that (but that's another issue). Nevertheless there are also a lot of very helpful people on here with some great advice and since it is pretty active, you don't have to wait too long for a response. Stick with it, you'll might even get as much from here as you would from SCGB membership!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, I have a friend who is a Nigerian Prince in financial difficulties who would like to meet you Toofy Grin

Do you mean friendly like this or like this, and bearing in mind this is someone who say "I am of an age (lets just say my prime has been from the late 60's up to now, and still going strong)"

Not quite res ipse loquitur maybe...

Jonnyh it is a great and legitimate question - the answer is a bit weird though.

" I am going to spend a little time on google to see how long it takes not become a ski instrcutor" indeed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother, leave it, Dr Stoat. Sometimes it's unattractive to be in the right (if you are.) And res ipse non loquitur in my legalistic book. With the greatest respect, and bearing in mind that I fall into exactly this category, this could be just another of the wrinkly, pedantic, boorish but non-malicious posters so beloved of younger snowHeads (and at least one self-deluding older one. wink )
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, wrinkly, pedantic, boorish Shocked Shocked Shocked That's not friendly.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 7-11-08 20:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
For me there were a couple of very suspicious comments from the OP. Seemingly not knowing anything about the club, but then remembering how the reps ski. Also the one about asking a group why they skied with the rep, not on their own and they couldn't answer.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 7-11-08 20:59; edited 2 times in total
snow report
You are David Goldsmith and I claim my 5 pounds. Wink
snow conditions
Alison Arulia,

Sorry to but in, but getting back to your original question. It would seem very simple. Have a look at the website and if you like what is being offered then join, if not don’t.

Some people will tell you one thing and others will say something else. eg. I personally think that marzipan was invented by the devil to show us just how disgusting something could taste if he really wanted to. But some people (most people) love it; QED (as we are speaking Latin now) everyone has different opinions. The choice is yours
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, from the thread you linked to:
Quote:
I have been reading the post and threads in this forum of years - and I have never before joined. I just like to read and gain other people's insight.

It's very hard to follow threads without registering, yet the OP has been reading this board like that "of [for] years"? It just doesn't ring true.
ski holidays
I wrote:
something else. eg. I personally

Can someone tell me
should it be
e.g.
or should it be
i.e.
Could never work that one out
What's the difference
latest report
Bloody hell Have I been taken in? I answered the OP in all honesty and openness and didn't think that there was any ulterior motive at all. Achilles what, in your opinion, was the purpose of the original question then Puzzled
snow report
stoatsbrother, hello! Devil's advocacy alert! Absolutely anybody who remembers the 60s is liable to be called these things on snowHeads. And the accusation in my case, and possibly in that of the OP, is not entirely without foundation. wink

Wayne, it's to do with whether you like to use full stops generally. Strictly there should be full stops, because these are abbreviations, but then again, addresses on envelopes always used to contain commas - I personally never use them any more, but that's just a matter of taste. In other words, it doesn't matter in the slightest. Toofy Grin

halfhand, jury's out, but I'd rather give her the benefit of the doubt, and I feel ashamed.
snow conditions
Grazie
snow report
Hurtle, you have also supported Darky and LT and CSJ in the past, whilst they were insulting to all around. Only in the last case do I think you were at all right.

And I read that as saying from the poster's late 60's - seeing as it followed reference to her age. I may be wrong here. But I would want to see the birth certificate.

But I will accept that you are wrinkly pedantic and boorish if you really insist Toofy Grin
ski holidays
My one concern here is that she does mention the colour of their jackets - I'm not a member and never have been, I've been on their site but I don't think, unless I was actually a member and had used the guiding/rep service that I would have a clue what colour their jackets are. So on reflection I suspect Alison may have had more knowledge than she wanted us to believe.
ski holidays
The SCGB has developed into a detailed website with some great content.

They regularly break good ski news.

Their snow reports are topnotch and among the best in the world.

SCGB members tend to be nonpoor and well-connected. Good for networking.

The SCGB is not perfect. But it is above-average.
snow conditions
johnnyh, Anyone who was in Tignes last December would know what colour jackets they wear.
latest report
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

you have also supported Darky and LT and CSJ in the past, whilst they were insulting to all around. Only in the last case do I think you were at all right
Not too sure what that's got to do with the price of fish (ho-ho, inadvertent joke there) but I really, really hate bullying and - whilst I do accept they could sometimes be very annoying and indeed insulting - those three were all bullied and goaded mercilessly at times, by people perched uncomfortably on the moral high ground. I don't know, perhaps you'd better put it down to my British penchant for the underdog or, even more wishy-washily, my Libran tendency to be suspicious of ostensible certainties.

Quote:

And I read that as saying from the poster's late 60's - seeing as it followed reference to her age

I too was uncertain, but on re-reading it, preferred my interpretation to yours. Maybe the OP will return and enlighten us on whether she has passed her late 60s. That really would be some kind of record on snowHeads, wouldn't it? And obviously an extremely dedicated silver surfer, as well as being a keen, current skier. Impressive, if you're right.

Quote:

But I will accept that you are wrinkly pedantic and boorish if you really insist
Thank you. Most kind. Toofy Grin

johnnyh, in the reps' section of the website, they are nearly all individually photographed wearing them. (I once took a photo of a rep I'd skied with and he posted it as his mugshot, precisely because, for his previous mugshot, he had not been in 'uniform' and had been taken to task for this.) Also, they are incredibly distinctive in that gear, it's unlikely that rank and file members would sport the insignia in that way. It's natural to infer that the green jacket-wearers are some sort of officers or representatives of the Club, particularly when they can be seen leading groups down the slopes.

Whitegold - yep.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Wayne wrote:
I wrote:
something else. eg. I personally

Can someone tell me
should it be
e.g.
or should it be
i.e.
Could never work that one out
What's the difference

ie (or i.e.) = id est = that is
eg = exempli gratia = for example
snow conditions
Well, I've worked out who the OP is. Anyone want a clue?
snow report
brian wrote:

ie (or i.e.) = id est = that is
eg = exempli gratia = for example

Excellent Now, what do they mean.
ooops sorry we are talking about that club ain't we, ok. Isn't the club wonderful / terrible. right thats thats out of the way what do id est and exempli gratia mean. I know I should have paid more attention is english class. Really would like to know if anyone knows. ooops straying off topic. Yah Boo ski guides or I love ski guides.
snow conditions
brian, yes, that's what I thought Wayne was asking too. Not about the full stops. I think he was throwing that in like a sort of ground bait, to lure Hurtle from her pursuit of stoatsbrother. What a fun thread; best for ages though usually the stuff about the Gas Board is just grim.

For what it's worth, I think people should be innocent till proved guilty. Rather be taken in by a several trolls than leap unjustifiably on one poor innocent.

There's a lot of Latin about tonight. Nicht wahr?
ski holidays
PJSki, PM me darling...

Hurtle, Did you know the word "Gullible" does not appear in the OED ? wink

Wayne, Laughing Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I do hate it when people are coy about their age, though.... Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:

Wayne, Laughing Toofy Grin

?
latest report
stoatsbrother, no, no, you get clues until you get it.

1. She is actually a he.

2. He is also a member (not Goldsmith).

Any help?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 7-11-08 21:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
PJSki, how did you work all that out Puzzled
latest report
Jonpim, I'm a clever .... wink Actually, it's all about making connections.
snow report
PJSki, you maybe? If what you say is true and he/she/it is already a member, doesn't it perfectly sum up the average member? Discuss.
latest report
No alias u liar?

Thought the name was slightly odd
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy