Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski the (old?) french way

Poster: A snowHead
At the request of comprex and inspired by lampbus I'll post a few clips of ESF technique circa 1985? in this thread. Here's the first one:-

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/14427

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 7-11-08 20:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's about the time I started (ish) but my first few lessons were in Austria, I can't recall them teaching us that way exactly. Was there a different approach there?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yoda, fascinating, thank you. It took me years to get rid of the bad habits that instruction like that did for me. Just watching that video brings back the nightmares!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yoda, Seems a very exaggerated up 'n' down movement. Shocked I know people who still ski 'classically' and when it's done right it's very elegant, even genteel, sliding gracefully around with ankles locked together as if their life depended on it Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, I can honestly say I never developed the uphill step Embarassed except in powder, using it long after shaped skis came out. In 1998 a CSIA L1 told me I skied like his grandfather. Embarassed Embarassed

d'ya notice the (lack of) counter?

can anyone explain the importance of 'flex down' in that context (riding the ski through the turn)?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex wrote:
d'ya notice the (lack of) counter?

Only in the demo (I do remember being told to face the tips of the skis in France), there was counter in the Free skiing.

comprex wrote:
can anyone explain the importance of 'flex down' in that context (riding the ski through the turn)?

Mainly to get ready to "flex up" again wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex, I did the step up quite well, and I still do it when that part of my brain takes over!

The flex down could be to absorb pressure at the end of the turn, but is probably done for effect rather than having a practical purpose! It is such a stylised way to ski. Even with the old long, straight skis, was that the most efficient way to use the kit?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As I heard the opening words of that video I had great sense of (appropriately enough) déja vu. I've probably still got it somewhere. I have to say that I would not be devastated to be able to ski through the powder like that.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll try to post the "instructional" bits and then the esf guys free skiing. Watching one on a monoski made me wonder if a few goes on one would help lower level intermediates get the feel of using both legs/feet to direct their skis - I've noticed that many at that level struggle with powering through bumps and slush for example because they can't seem to keep both skis going the same way. Never tried a mono myself, anyone who has have any thoughts on the matter?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, I am wondering how much of that "flex down" redirected pressure -> forward to the ski tips, creating a longer edge and alleviating skid possibility.

Mosha Marc wrote:

Only in the demo (I do remember being told to face the tips of the skis in France), there was counter in the Free skiing.

Which wasn't restricted to 'basic' parallel. Eagerly awaiting more vid.

pam w wrote:
I have to say that I would not be devastated to be able to ski through the powder like that.

Except for the stemming steps and the jump, there is nothing there you can't do, easily, on modern gear.

Yoda wrote:
Watching one on a monoski made me wonder if a few goes on one would help lower level intermediates get the feel of using both legs/feet to direct their skis - I've noticed that many at that level struggle with powering through bumps and slush for example because they can't seem to keep both skis going the same way. Never tried a mono myself, anyone who has have any thoughts on the matter?

Worked for me; I spent 3 hours on a mono then could do no wrong on 68mm skis in 2.5 feet of new powder.

Never learned turn release on the mono, so I spent most of the first hour falling over after turning all the way uphill. Maybe retraction could have been the answer? I never really got around to extending and retracting on it, somehow it seemed to freeze that instinct in me. Maybe I got a fair bit lazy once the pow was super-easy- I do know that, coming back from the mono-inspired 68mmski powgasm, I simply couldn't get my feet to extend and retract in bumps at all.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 6-11-08 23:19; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex wrote:
rob@rar, I am wondering how much of that "flex down" redirected pressure -> forward to the ski tips, creating a longer edge and alleviating skid possibility.

How? By pushing on to the front of the boots?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Flexing down pretty much has to close the ankle; those were some big rigid boot behemoths, even small ankle closure meant big force to front as well as down.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here's No. 2, the "Evasion Turn". I've no idea why it was called that, anybody know?

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/14428
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yoda, I only started skiing in 2006 (well, went on a week's school ski trip in 1991 but discounting that as had to start over pretty much in 2006) and of course that has been on modern skis with modern technique so I haven't seen straight skis and all of that stuff. Thing is, when I was in Val D'Isere in April I saw (or thought I saw) very similar (practically the same) movements going on with the French guy that took our group off piste one morning (the SCGB rep set us up with the company to take us further off piste you see). Your vids have reminded me of that. It is maybe because that was the way he was taught and like someone else has said "old habits dies hard".

Does anyone else feel themselves wanting to shriek at the screen of that second video "Get your legs apart man!" ? Laughing Shocked I don't think I could ski with my legs that close together as one I'd be afraid of the skis bumping into one another and the tips crossing or something. I'd feel like a mermaid on skis.

This is very interesting to see a blast from the past thank you Yoda, and very interesting indeed to see how much of it still goes on now even with modern carver skis etc.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can't see the video (yet ) but what is all this step up and and step down lark..? Just watch Stenmark..thats what everyone wanted to do anyway, wasn't it..? Laughing
snow report
Oh Lord - I think I still do some of that stuff! OK, so not to such an exaggerated extent, but I do still often lift my uphill ski trough the turn when I'm feeling lazy Blush

I look forward to further excerpts from these guys - if nothing else but to remind me what NOT to do.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, zammo, one can call it

"what NOT to do"

or one can call it

"what we don't do now on piste but might come in frighteningly useful in bumps or pow, particularly the unweight and steering/pivoting bits but sometimes the stepping too"

or

"petunia"

or

snow conditions
Yoda wrote:
Here's No. 2, the "Evasion Turn". I've no idea why it was called that, anybody know?

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/14428

Excellent Laughing No idea why it was called an evasion turn. Maybe because you're evading good technique Wink
latest report
No. 3 - The GT Turn wink

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/14429
snow report
Yoda wrote:
No. 3 - The GT Turn wink

The commentary described seven separate actions in that turn. It's a wonder that anyone learned to ski! What more goodies do we have to look forward to?
snow conditions
The only thing about learning that way is that once mastered peope actually knew what they were trying to do...they didn't have to be stepped-walked every inch like they do know.
ski holidays
When was that...??? I'm guessing late 70's or so....

Pretty chummy skiing.. Laughing
snow report
rob@rar, yes, I don't think I've ever heard a "basic" parallel sound so complicated Laughing

I think we have racing step turns, moguls and powder, plus of course I haven't done any of the beginners on their evolutif skis yet wink

May have to go to Israel shortly but will try to fit some more in....
snow conditions
Problem is once you've spent 43 years doing that stuff suddenly learning that it's all wrong is a bit demoralising
Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
Problem is once you've spent 43 years doing that stuff suddenly learning that it's all wrong is a bit demoralising
Sad Sad Sad
Certainly was for me. When I went back to ski school after 10 years of perfecting all my bad habits it was kind of like starting from scratch - quite a shock to the system. But the pain was worth it Smile
snow report
Steilhang, not quite as long for me, but more than long enough, particularly with only a week or two each year to try and rectify it all. Sad Sad
ski holidays
Wow! Watching that video was like stepping back in time... but only a few years. Word-for-word, that is how I was taught to parallel turn in Courchevel by an ESF instructor 3 years ago. Shocked
snow report
comprex, said to me
Quote:

Except for the stemming steps and the jump, there is nothing there you can't do, easily, on modern gear.

I think what comprex meant was "There's nothing there one can't do, easily, on modern gear". wink He hasn't seen me try!

Phil Smith and others advocate starting turns with a small stem in difficult conditions. Is that very different?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
Steilhang wrote:
Sad Sad Sad
Certainly was for me. When I went back to ski school after 10 years of perfecting all my bad habits it was kind of like starting from scratch - quite a shock to the system. But the pain was worth it Smile
Ok so without making me look like a complete beginner, why are those habits bad? I know carving on the piste requires a completely different style, but those guys looked like they had it more or less under control in all situations... What were they doing wrong?
ski holidays
Steilhang, fashion? They are skiing way better than 90% of the psoters on here will ever do, but for some reason they are 'doing it wrong'. I don't get it either.
snow report
Maybe when we see them "free skiing" we'll see the differences between the somewhat stylised "feet together banking" approach and a, shall we say, more "dynamic" style?
latest report
Lizzard, my thoughts were along similar lines - which is why I said I'd not be devastated if I could ski powder like that! An understatement.... I'd be thrilled. snowHead
latest report
I did take a tiny bit of comfort from comprex's remarks that not all these old techniques are or should be unusable.
snow report
Yoda wrote:
Maybe when we see them "free skiing" we'll see the differences between the somewhat stylised "feet together banking" approach and a, shall we say, more "dynamic" style?
Hmm. I don't see any banking! They are controlling direction by using the technique of 'umsteigen' which means transfering your weight from the downhill to uphill ski and unweighting to initiate the turn. They control the turn by applying pressure on the shin... Costs a lot of energy compared to carving technique, which seems to rely a lot more on banking than the old style. What I am glad about is that the boots glued together stupidity has gone out of fashion. I never followed it and if you try it on carvers you generally have an accident Shocked
Skiing in ungroomed I still use unweighting to initiate my turns unless I am on wide skis and going fast enough to float in which case I just kind of bank...

Time to take some lessons I think!
snow report
Steilhang, Lizzard, pam w, I'm with you guys on this. I really don't get the concept that these people are somehow "doing it wrong". I can't even think of an analogy to this that would help me understand. yes, the equipment has changed, but what I think most people forget is that they are skiing incontrol with their skis parallel (ie not a snowplough) isn't that what most people who can ski do or aim to do. Their legs aren't exactly glued together, they're close together but they are working independently.

I learnt to ski like this, and actually, the basic skills I learnt when I had lessons in "the new style" seemed very similar. In fact some of the new concepts introduced seemed to me, to be considered "best practice" only because more people were able to do it. Skiing parallel with your legs working independtly and closely, not splayed out miles apart, is hard to master. It seems to me that because it's quite hard people have said, we don't do that anymore, you're doing it wrong, you need to be all legs apart and bent over. For me, that was how I started, all bent over and legs spread out and wanted to get away from that because it wasn't a particularly efficient way to ski and it looked terrible.

A recent instructor said to me something like - if you have a "preconception or a self image of skiing neatly, and that's what you want to achieve then you wont be a good skier. You need to forget what you look like and be all dynamic and aggressive". I still have my doubts about this idea. I want to "look good" when I ski, I don't want to look like I'm just starting out again.

My wife, who's not a particularly keen skier, watched a video I brought of the "new style of skiing" and she laughed, saying that the instructor looked like her, all over the place, all bent over with his legs 18 inches apart!

Ok rant over. I know you're all going to say I'm wrong, and that there's dynamic balance and all that stuff. But from what I can see, the good skiers who look good, look tight and neat and tidy and in control. I think the newer style of skiing is not so radically different from the old style, it's just that no one is aiming for the things we used to aim for. Perhaps more people just want to get down an off-piste section, whereas in the old days it was about doing something with style, making it look effortless and graceful as if you were floating in the environment not having a fight with it!
snow report
johnnyh, Yes, I agree with most of what you say. I would say the stance thing has changed from 'a good skier skies with his boots nailed together' to 'it's best to ski with you feet in a comfortable stance'. Nailing them together was never a very good idea and only really helped when skiing deep stuff on skinnies ( which I have stopped doing now that I have discovered fat skis Toofy Grin )
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Steilhang, fashion? They are skiing way better than 90% of the psoters on here will ever do, but for some reason they are 'doing it wrong'. I don't get it either.

The guys in that video are clearly pretty decent skiers who no doubt could ski more effectively if they didn't have such a 'stylized' approach to their technique. They wouldn't ski like that if they wanted to ski fast (feet locked together inhibits getting your skis onto a decent edge) or steep (feet locked together reduces your base of support, therefore less balance). All their turns were skidded or steered to a huge extent, so they wouldn't take advantage of any development in ski shape in the last decade. If you wanted to teach skiers to reach a high level of competence and ski all over the mountain you wouldn't want them to aim for the kind of skiing the ESF guys demonstrated in that video (I speak from experience, unfortunately).
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Hmm. I don't see any banking!

I see rather a lot! And weird things going on with the shoulders as they 'progress' from Evasion to GT parallel turns (whatever they are).
latest report
johnnyh wrote:
A recent instructor said to me something like - if you have a "preconception or a self image of skiing neatly, and that's what you want to achieve then you wont be a good skier. You need to forget what you look like and be all dynamic and aggressive".

Stick with that instructor, he or she clearly knows their onions Smile
latest report
Quote:

feet locked together inhibits getting your skis onto a decent edge

I agree - except if you look at the video their feet aren't locked/nailed/glued together. They are actually separate, but the angle of the slope and the position of the camera/viewer it appears that the feet are closer together than they really are. For sure, they could be further apart, but as I have said, they don't actually appear to be either off balance or unsupported by their feet. They do also look as though they are edging their skis - perhaps not pure carving but then these are straight skis. I think most people who think they are carving on today's skis aren't doing that either. Most people are really only using a (Snoworks terms) combination of twisty, pushy movements.

Is it not the case that for the terrain and for they level of skill, they are actually skiing well. As you say, if it was a knarly, steep track they would more than likely adjust their stance slighly. But surely it's a question of degrees based on your ability.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy