Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Suunto watch should I get for skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

I'm getting a Suunto watch for Christmas.

There are that many models, I don't know which one to get.

Can somebody recommend one from the current range for skiing and boarding?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bikeandsnow, i have an observer which i really like with compass and altimeter. some models are a lot bigger than others...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
S6 or the new Core.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a Suunto Core....not too big and chunky, looks nice, has Altimeter and compass.............you can log altitude changes and it gives you all sorts of sad stats (total climb, time spent climbing, climb speed)...............do I really need any of it.....not really!!

The guys I ride with in the UK are all into their Suunto 6?? proper hard core cycling fanatics downloading to PCs reviewing training sessions.........................
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bikeandsnow, It realy does depend on what you want the watch for. If its for working out height gain and loss over distance than I would just get the VECTOR as it has data logs of the day, plus data logs of altitude and barometric pressure.
I have been using a Vector for many years with no problem as for me all I need to know is the time, altitude and baro pressure.

I have also trialed the Suunto X9MI, the one with GPS I had one for a couple of months, the gps was slow to locate satelites and used a massive amount of battery power, the battery is a sealed unit and recharges from a usb or charger ( can also be charged from AA batteries, but thats another story wink In the end I sold it as the gps function was too slow.
There is now a Suunto X10 which is apparently better on battery power and has a faster gps lock on.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BTW If I was going to get a new watch for skiing I would always ask for an Omega Seamster Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bikeandsnow, I'd get skis for skiing, and a Suunto for telling the time.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bikeandsnow, forget that. Get a Casio with a calculator on it.

AWESOME.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mark & others

I want one that I don't connect to anything. I don't want to download logs or anything from it.
Want the kind of things Marcellus mentions.

The Core sounds like the one to get.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bikeandsnow, I use the vector, tells me what I need to know: altitude, pressure, the TIME! and has a compass (although I'd only use it for a rough check). Works out height gain/loss speed and can log it (never actually use this).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The cores the replacement for the Vector I think...looks good, though the vector is cheaper
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tchibo have got one with basic altimeter, distance, ride time, barometer etc.etc. in store from 12th Nov. In these credit hardened times, maybe this would be a nice gift from you to your present buyer to offer them a 40 quid alternative? wink

http://www.tchibo.eu/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/eu/-/GBP/TdEuDisplayProductInformation-Start?source=NAVI&ProductSKU=0015350

(I seem to be pimping tchibo recently: apologies. I'm not in anyway connected with them, no shares, nothing)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bikeandsnow, Just get a Vector then, the battery last for ages, you can't connect it to a computer, the back light is great. Its very easy to use and is indestructable.
The only crap thing with all Suunto watches is the alarm beeper, its too damn quite!

The Suunto Core is not the replacement for the Vector, its a different watch with the addition of a depth metre down to -10m.

Both the Vector and the Core have large faces the Observer is a good watch and is what I would class as a medium sized watch.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
papasmurf, ah that's explains it, mine's a couple of years old, had to replace the battery recently £5!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Had a Vector for about three years - it's an excellent watch. Plenty to play with when you're bored in meetings.
snow conditions
johnnyh, yes its always good to know how many feet above sea level your meeting room is (23ft)...and each floor in the office..and how many feet above your desk the coffee machines are..
latest report
Vector at a good price
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/vector-x-black-7920179/
snow report
When I got the Vector (for Christmas) I spent a lot of time on Christmas day going up and down the stairs to see how far I had ascended. I don't do that so much now. I was amazed though that it does work on planes as well - although it reaches it's maximum before the plane does. Honestly, it's a good watch if you want something a bit different.
snow report
FastEddie, like this one

http://cache.wists.com/thumbnails/e/01/e01907152dc21359b1ca7b2afdbdb1cd-orig

wink
snow report
jase2472, Cool, I always wanted one of those when I was a kid, my Timex had hands and I was growing up in the dawn of a digital revoloution man!
ski holidays
johnnyh,
Quote:

was amazed though that it does work on planes as well - although it reaches it's maximum before the plane does.

I guess that's down to the pressurisation of the cabin, interestingly* my vector experiments over the past couple of seasons typically indicate easyjet pressurise their cabins slightly less than other airlines. (n=1Cool

* I say interestingly others say terminally boring Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy