Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Purchase - advice please

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking at finally buying skis after renting for many years.
Really don't know what to go for.

I have my own boots. I've almost always rented "intermediate" or middle option skis.
I have approx 20/25 weeks experience, spread over about 12 years, skiing in France, Austria & Italy.

I ski mostly on-piste. Exceptions are the occasional foray a few 10's of metres off the piste edge, ski trail/route/itinery or well-defined easy tracks (for example following the fall line under lifts).
I have no desire to get more into off-piste.

Earlier this year I rented some Salomon Scrambler 7 skis which I really liked
(Spec is length 155cm, radius 165cm, width: front = 123mm; middle = 75mm; back = 110mm, binding Pilot S710)
but I've read rather negative comments on here about these skis.
The shop claimed these were advanced skis, not intermediate.

I am 5'8", 70kg. I'll ski pretty much any piste (in Europe, anyway) as long as it's not in dire condition. Don't like moguls.
Yes, I know 155 is short for me. I've tried a various lengths and am simply more comfortable with around 158-160.

I don't want to spend many hundreds of pounds - so prefer to go for a non-current colour/model. Discontinued/2nd hand perfectly acceptable.

I guess my starting point is to find something equivalent to the Scrambler 7 (given that I liked these) but better respected.
I'm not sure I can be bothered trying lots of skis out in resort. I regard this purchase as not necessarily getting the best ski for me, but instead as getting a ski which is likely to be better than what I'd otherwise end up renting, and without to irritation of renting.

Any thoughts/advice/suggestions on what to go for?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
petem77, I've a pair of 157cm Atomic Metron M9's which may be suitable. They are pretty similar to some of the Scramblers (not sure on the 7). In good nick probably only skied for about 5 weeks, I think they are the 2005/6 model. Good skis but I put on weight and needed something longer. PM me if interested.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
petem77, if you want something a bit lighter in weight, I have a pair of 156cm Head Monster 72s from the 06 season (used about 25 days) available. Unlike Colin B, my waist didn't expand but that of my skis of choice did! They're sitting in the UK as my BIL was supposed to be eBaying them for me but hasn't got round to it yet to my knowledge. Likewise PM me if interested
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got a pair of Atomic Metron B9 Pulses with rental bindings which I could sell for pretty cheap if you're interested. They're a great piste ski; passed my instructor exams on them. email me if interested: jrevah@hotmail.com
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colin B, eng_ch, jorball Thank you for your offers. I now need to research these.

jorball How long are your Metron B9 Pulses? What do you mean by "rental bindings"?

Perhaps someone in the know can tell me how these 3 skis above compare with the Scrambler 7, and with each other?

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Metron's are 165 but 157 is honestly too short for you. I'm an instructor and see a lot of people with wrong skis; although they may feel easier at first they'll limit what you can do with them as you progress.

Rental bindings are basically normal bindings but mounted on an adjustable platform. All this means is that you can change the length between the front and back of the binding pieces so they fit all boots. Without rental bindings your boots will have to be the same size as whoever owned the ski before.

I've never skied scamblers so can't really help with the comparison but just looking at them and having a little read I think they'd be a pretty similar ski. The metrons really are awesome and I couldn't recommend them high enough, be them mine or the M9s or some new ones.

hope that helps
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
petem77 wrote:

I am 5'8", 70kg. I'll ski pretty much any piste (in Europe, anyway) as long as it's not in dire condition. Don't like moguls.
Yes, I know 155 is short for me. I've tried a various lengths and am simply more comfortable with around 158-160.

What happened when you tried longer skis? Maybe they were old school straight skis?
You should be skiing something around 170. My 55kg 5'5" wife skis on 156 piste skis and they would be wayyyyyyyy too short for you.

Seriously, you really need to re-evaluate ski lengths before buying anything.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
petem77 wrote:

What happened when you tried longer skis? Maybe they were old school straight skis?
You should be skiing something around 170. My 55kg 5'5" wife skis on 156 piste skis and they would be wayyyyyyyy too short for you.

Seriously, you really need to re-evaluate ski lengths before buying anything.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
petem77, Metrons are designed to be skied short, calculator here.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
uktrailmonster wrote:

I have a distinct tendency to look exceedingly untidy when skiing, despite not being uncomfortable & being able to ski most pistes in (within reason) most conditions at reasonable speed without falling over. Part of this untidyness is skis not staying as parallel as they should. I find this easier to control with shorter skis and don't notice any apparent downside to short skis.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Probably be better off investing in some coaching rather than skis then. I don't see much point in suggesting any particular 155-160 length skis. If you need something that short to be comfortable then there must be some basic technique flaws to iron out before making progress. Or maybe the problem is with your boots and alignment? But something is wrong if you're having problems coping with skis that would normally be the correct length for your weight.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Without rental bindings your boots will have to be the same size as whoever owned the ski before.

I'm no expert, and hesitate to question something said by an "instructor". But is this really true? I have skis with ordinary retail bindings which are adjusted regularly (by my local ski shop man) when I lend them to friends. Within limits - of course, they're not infinitely adjustable (without re-screwing them onto the skis, at any rate). I've also got some skis with rental bindings which are mega-easy to adjust.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Without rental bindings your boots will have to be the same size as whoever owned the ski before.

I'm no expert, and hesitate to question something said by an "instructor". But is this really true? I have skis with ordinary retail bindings which are adjusted regularly (by my local ski shop man) when I lend them to friends. Within limits - of course, they're not infinitely adjustable (without re-screwing them onto the skis, at any rate). I've also got some skis with rental bindings which are mega-easy to adjust.

I was just about to post the same thing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
uktrailmonster wrote:
Probably be better off investing in some coaching rather than skis then. I don't see much point in suggesting any particular 155-160 length skis. If you need something that short to be comfortable then there must be some basic technique flaws to iron out before making progress. Or maybe the problem is with your boots and alignment? But something is wrong if you're having problems coping with skis that would normally be the correct length for your weight.

At 5'8", 70kg what range of lengths should I be looking at?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Depends what ski.. I am a bit lighter than you and tend to go probably 170++

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 7-11-08 20:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
arv wrote:
Depends what ski.. I am a bit lighter than you and go probably 170++
Is it weight more than height which determines length of ski?
snow report
In response to the adjustment of non rental bindings, the back part can be moved plus or minus 1cm (on most standard bindings) by anyone who owns a screwdriver. Wheras rental bindings can be moved about 5cm in each direction on both the front and back part.

Regarding what ski to use, it's just personal preference and depends massively on how you ski and what your planning on skiing. I'd agree massively with the guy who said get some coaching cos I think this'll help a lot. I'm two inches taller and about 5kg heavier and ski 165cm for racing (slalom) and 189cm for everything else, but that's just my preference.

You can get too overloaded with ski lengths, weight, height, etc. For your ability it is purely what you like to ski on. As a rough guide, seeing as your gonna be mainly on piste (and not competing in any GS courses, I think) anywhere from 155 - 175 is a good guideline. My personal preference being 165.
latest report
petem77 wrote:
arv wrote:
Depends what ski.. I am a bit lighter than you and go probably 170++
Is it weight more than height which determines length of ski?

Weight mainly and type of ski. As you are looking at general purpose skis like the Scrambler, something around 170-175. A race slalom ski might be more like 160 and a powder ski 180+

There is some personal preference involved too, but a 155 Scrambler is way too short for any half decent 70kg skier. Might as well get a pair of snowblades! You'd be better off finding out what the root cause of your problem is with 'normal' length skis before buying a pair. Maybe take a few lessons and discuss it with an instructor?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy