Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which USA / Canadian Resort

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to go next season - probably in January. Myself and Snowbird are early intermediates following excellent tuition from Elvis in Soldeu.

We are looking for a resort suitable for our level of skiing ability. Is it best to book with an operator or DIY ? Any suggestions please.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Um,
Alta/Snowbird Wink
Winter Park
Breckenridge
Whistler
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Durrrr - Whistler, of course

Little Angel
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd agree with Fox about Breckenridge (it's been hugely popular with Brits, for good reason) and disagree about Alta/Snowbird at your level of learning.

Don't go to Canada in January, unless you want to freeze to death.

Another option to look at is to fly to California, spend a few days on the coast, and ski somewhere like Mammoth or Lake Tahoe.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What about Vail? It's supposed to be an early intermediate's paradise according to some friends who have been. It can be a bit pricey, but with the best exchange rate in years, now might be the best time to go.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Steamboat is fantastic.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Paul Mason, we enjoyed Banff a couple of years ago, but it was Feb . Whistler (where we're going this year) is not so cold in January due to it's proximity to the Pacific. Go on, you know you want to......................
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Paul Mason, Squaw Valley is worth considering. Unusually, the easier terrain (of which there's quite a bit) is relatively high up the mountain, so that the runs are not clogged with everyone funnelling back to base at the end of the day. You can get back to base down a narrow, gentle-gradient track or in the huge cable car. Of course, there's also enough steeper terrain as you get more confident. Like most American resorts, it's considerably smaller than the mega-European resorts. If that's a concern, there are plenty of other resorts within an easy drive around Lake Tahoe. In fact, you may want to base yourselves between resorts, which is probably slightly cheaper. Lake Tahoe is about 3 hrs drive from San Francisco on the freeway (longer on Friday night!).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Paul Mason, instead, why not come to the EpicSki Academy next year?! Wink

I can give you a complete run-down on US areas, if you want, from Stowe to Tahoe and points between... Lots of good skiing. But, honestly, if you're going to get instruction, you'd be hard-pressed to find better value than the academy.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been to Whistler, enjoyed it very much. I'm curious to hear some input on Banff/Lake Louise. I'm thinking of going with a group of friends-we're all bachelors in our mid-twenties from NYC-so we want good skiing and rockin' nightlife. What is life like off of the slopes there? Is there much nightlife to be had? Should I head to St. Anton instead? Help!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Didier20, Breck, Aspen, and Vail? Or, king of all wild places, back to Whistler? Tahoe can get cranked up, too, but not like those places.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you want apres ski, I would go to Vail or Breckenridge flying into Denver. There is no comparison to the beauty of Banff/Lake Louise and the skiing is pretty good but not as good as Vail. Whistler is also fun and the weather is warmer but chances of light rain in the village while it snows on the mountains. Usually sunshine in Colorado resorts. Park City is also nice for apres ski and the resorts are plentiful. Aspen is excellent although Aspen Mtn. is more difficult skiing but nearby Snowmass is an intermediates heaven. We stayed in Snowmass and drove the 1/2 hour to Aspen to enjoy the nightlife and did ski Aspen once. Snowmass is nearly all ski in/ski out too. good luck.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Didier20 wrote:
I've been to Whistler, enjoyed it very much. I'm curious to hear some input on Banff/Lake Louise. I'm thinking of going with a group of friends-we're all bachelors in our mid-twenties from NYC-so we want good skiing and rockin' nightlife. What is life like off of the slopes there? Is there much nightlife to be had? Should I head to St. Anton instead? Help!!!

Forget LL if you want nightlife. Banff is pretty good for nightlife, but it is in Canada, so everyone has dinner at 6.30pm. I suspect that in general, N.American ski resorts are not as good for 'rockin' nightlife' as European ones, but I've more or less forgetten what 'rockin' nightlife' is.

Banff and LL are great ski areas (or is a great ski area, depending on how you look at it).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Paul Mason, Canada in January is extremely cold Shawn Warmsley on the banff thread says temperatures as low as -36 and even says they did one run and had to come in to get warm
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Russell wrote:
Paul Mason, Canada in January is extremely cold Shawn Warmsley on the banff thread says temperatures as low as -36 and even says they did one run and had to come in to get warm

True, but if you have the right gear, not a problem. It provides the excuse, if one were needed, for the occasional refreshment stop.
latest report
Paul Mason, I'm very biased - come and ski at Squaw Valley with me - lots of intermediate terrain. Or you could do as laundryman, suggests and stay halfway between some of the resorts, but don't bank on being able to access both the North and South of the lake - the road is often closed in January, even when we haven't been getting the storms like we are at the moment! snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy