Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DiY trip to RISOUL.....driving advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Am contemplating a DiY self drive break, possibly to RISOUL & was wondering if anyone can advise on what type of asent I would encounter to the resort..............am not that keen on negotiating mountain roads at best of times & wanted to know if this route is 'good' ( i.e pleanty of barriers, good surface, etc)?
Any advice appriciated

Thanks in advance

Mitch
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't remember the Risoul road but none of the ski resort access roads in France are bad. You will need chains though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Isn't Risoul a long way south compared to some of the other French resorts if you're driving from the UK? Seems like a long way to go.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Seems like a long way to go.

Certainly is. It shouldn't present any special difficulties, you can go most of the way on motorways (but v expensive - £160 or so in tolls alone), but it's much further than you need to go. I wouldn't want to drive past a whole lot of excellent resorts to spend extra hours getting to Risoul.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree with the others that it is a long way to go, however, if you have definitely decided on Risoul, then in terms of driving up to the resort it's not bad. It is a windy mountain road with switchbacks but the surface is fine and there are barriers on the corners. Steep drop on one side as usual but also fairly wide.

As per davidof, you will need chains.

D
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Risoul is a lovely and extensive ski area, it's about 630ish miles from Calais.....so about 13+ hours driving with fuel stops and coffee breaks etc. A straight forward drive via Riems, Dijon, Lyon, Grenoble etc mostly motorway for 90% of the route. Chains a must. You are going to pass some fantastic ski areas on route, but if you do decide to go to Risoul, you'll have a fantastic time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GreyCat, welcome to snowHeads Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mitchell, about an hours extra drive from Serre Chevalier. Via Michelin suggests taking the Frejus tunnel, you will therefore pass Valloire, Bardonecchia, Sestriere, Claviere, Briancon/Serre Chevalier and Puy St Vincent before you get there.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hasn't got to be Risoul but it seems to fit a lot of my requirements.such as relatively high ( so 'should' be snow sure), supposedly 'budget' ( I,m a bit short of cash due to one thing and another), accomodation looks quite good ( Balcons de sirus ), good for beginners/learners....................
Due to kids in school I,m also tied to school holidays so was looking at either new year or 1/2 term ( cant leave it till easter as I,m too desperate to get back to the snow Very Happy ) hence the DiY aspect ( too expensive for my wallet with TO's at these peak times Shocked )
I,m also a bit paranoid about booking somewhere, spending a fair amount of cash & having no ( or not a lot) snow Sad
Have driven to spain , south of France several times & although I cant say its easy, the journey have never been too bad ( although never done it in winter ) & thought at least it would avoid all the airport hassle ( & possible delays).
Thanks for the replys all
Mitch
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont,
In that order ? Think I may look into some of these areas also
Cheers
Mitch
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mitchell, flight to Nice/Marseilles and hire a car might work out cheaper/easier.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mitchell, we are flying in to Marseille then hiring a car to go to Risoul during half term. Works out a lot cheaper and when we booked, 1/2 price lift passes for the four of us. We are also staying at Balcons de Serus.

If you go, let me know and we'll see you there. I have been there before and love the resort. Perfect for mixed ability families.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard,
Checked ryan air flights & although not too badly priced I think with 4 of us + car we are looking at..............cant remeber , it was early this morning!!!! Will check again but thought it came in around 8 or 9 hundred.............reckon I can do the drive for 6 odd....will recheck this as it a better option to fly I think ( although my other 1/2 does like to rather overdo the luggage !!!)
Libertine,
Sent inquiry to , is it sara residence' this morning asking what sort of ski pass discount was on offer as advertised on their web site. What sort of crowding can you expect at the peak times? Also, is the drive up okay?
Ta
Mitch
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mitchell, There are a LOT of green runs aroung the central area that lead to the lifts you can se on the web cams and spread ot a fair way so not too mayny queues. All have fast lanes for thos who dont mind going on a lift with other groups so is marshalled at the bottom very well. no problems.

When i booked flights, was about £600 for th four of us. My OH booked it, but Sara were doing halp price lift passes, but that was back in August/september time so maybe the offer not available - but may be worth trying to haggle !! Very Happy BTW, passes are photo's so take a photo for each of your party if spare rather than do when booking in at about 4€ each!

This is the first year for taking my kids and Risoul ticks the boxes for me having been there in March 2008.

In March, theere had not been snow for over 6weeks prior and the condition was excellent.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mitchell, Oh.... and didnt drive last time but seemed fine (i was not keen on other area's). This will be my first time driving.
snow report
Mitchell, yes, in that order.
latest report
OH and I missed out Montgenevre between Claviere and Briancon

wink
snow conditions
Mitchell, Valloire would probably fit your bill fairly well. But there aren't really any "budget" options at half term. Also, be aware that the roads down will be absolutely rammed. You can forget doing a steady 80 mph, that's for sure and are likely to spend at least some of the time at a standstill in traffic jams (eg at the Reims peage). If the weather is bad, to add to the traffic, the journey could take twice the time you'd bargained for and you're likely to need an overnight stop on the way.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont,
Okay...........I take the point..........actually a couple of those are on the radar as well.
pam w,
By budget, I was trying to avoid resorst such as Val, courcheval etc as ( I havent been there ) I have 'heard some stories of the prices for various things is , to say the least, a major rip off.
Was debating that as an option ( stopping overnight)..................how would the traffic be the day before ( friday ); maybe get 2/3 rds of the trip done then.

ta

Mitch

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 5-11-08 14:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Mitchell, hubby had a day trip to Risoul from Serre Che, and he liked it.
ski holidays
Mitchell, there are a number of quite useful threads about this -for example at http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=16272&highlight=school+friday+overnight+traffic

If you can get Sun/Sun accommodation you will find it far easier because everyone aims to get much of the journey done on Friday and then drive up to resort Saturday morning. All the hotels will be booked for months ahead for the Friday night. If you do start off on Friday you need to get very near before stopping the night, so that you can be up early and into resort by 9 am (accomm won't be available then, obviously, but you can get out on the slopes on transfer day, which is usually nice and quiet). If that's not possible, aim to arrive not before early evening, when the mad rush will have died down. And at the end of the week, if you have to leave your accommodation early on Saturday, maybe have a few last hours skiing before leaving early evening and getting a few hours north before stopping for the night? It's better than sitting in a traffic jam.

There have been a number of threads about people looking for accommodation for half term - it's pretty booked up already, so don't leave it much later to find something.

At half term you're unlikely to do Calais - Risoul in 13 - 14 hours, unless you strike exceptionally lucky with the weather and the traffic.

If you can't wait till Easter (I sympathize!) how about Christmas? Cheaper than New Year, and quieter. More iffy for snow, on average, though last year Christmas was heaps better than half term.
latest report
pam w,

Thanks for the very useful info. I,m actually very keen for xmas week ..........even the prices seem very good value, but my better 1/2 wont do xmas week & insists on either new year or 1/2 term rolling eyes
what sort of traffic do you think would I likely to encounter on the begining & end of new year week?
ta
Mitch
latest report
Mitchell, New Year better than half term, I'd say - but canvass some other opinions. Or tell your OH about the hours to be spent in traffic jams at half term and the £££££££££££££££ to be saved by going at Christmas. And what could be better than Christmas Day on the slopes without a turkey in sight? In France, New Year is much more popular than Christmas, so slopes can get a bit crowded (though probably not as bad as half term) but Christmas is quieter.
snow report
Mitchell, traffic in the area should be much less at New Year than at half-term. However, traffic in our area of the Alps is not as bad as further North even at half-term. Less British visitors, but there are more French, and Paris holidays start at the same time as uk half term this year, so don't expect it to be a breeze if you are arriving on a Saturday, traffic around Grenoble and Chambery will be heavy.
latest report
I drove from Gloucester to Morzine and back last year on my own. It was good fun. Their roads are in good shape and usually well gritted. Snow chains need to be carried though.
latest report
Mitchell,
Hi Mitch,
we were in Risoul in Feb08, it's a great resort. Quite a good altitude, but remember the fact that it's so far south doesn't help. It's a good resort though. The accomodation is at 1850m so it's nearly always snow sure as well. When we were there we caught the melt down which was happening everywhere in europe in the end of Feb, but the base in Risoul is always quite big so it was ok.
The skiing on piste was great and you have access to Vars as well.
Very nice place indeed. And when they get a good dump, I would say it would be awsome skiing off-piste too.
It's a hell of a trip from the airports though. Over four hours and can be over five if any little delays. Which there were on the way back.
But I would reckon because of these things you can almost alsways pick up a great last minute deal. Try looking through all the main web-sites.
We got an incredible deal, which was £295 flying from Glasgow, which is always more difficult to find than flying from London. From London it's a piece of cake to find cheap last inute hols. almost anywhere.
Go last minute, well worth it.
Enjoy Smile
Also if you know anyone who's looking for a good holiday in Bulgaria, send them my way please, will you? Smile
We live near Pamporovo and the skiing is good and loads of good places to eat and srink on very cheap budget. Not like rest of Europe.
You can get me on Pavel@kbt.bg or check our web SkiTransfersBulgaria.com still getting built though, but if you click on contact us you can send us an e-mail. We can arrange for all the accomodation and everything else as well.
Good skiing Smile
Pavel
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy