Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pregnant Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
My wife is 5 to 6 weeks pregnant, we are due to visit our place in BSM to ski in Jan and Easter; does any one have any usefull advice or first hand experience?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Theres a huge thread on this somewhere here, couldnt tell you where though!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
click on search in the user facilities and type in pregnant to find the thread that was called something like "skiing when pregnant".

If your wife is of reasonable fitness and health and does not intend pushing herself too much - i.e. that she is going to ski within her abilities then skiing in january would be no problem at all. I believe that in general up to around 20 weeks ish is seen as ok - therefore I'd imagine you could be just about ok for easter as well - go anyway and see how she feels!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
HG, congratulations to you and Mrs HG!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
HG, Mrs Frosty skiied when 8 weeks preggers without a problem. We had decided not to share the news till 12 weeks but the friends we were going with guessed when she ordered an orange juice the night before in a punb nr Manchester Airport. You may aswell go now as it may be more complicated next year wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
complicated

ha! There's an understatement . . .
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque, Gotta break em in gently, no point telling them just now that the price of their future ski vacations just tripled Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Laundryman, and thanks Adam, we have found the thread....looks like the odds are in favour of her being the chalet girl this season! I'm quite sure she will put up a good arguement for not shopping at Super U!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
HG, congratulations. I think Kevin McLean had lots to say about this on SCGB last year!!! snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There was a terribly divisive thread on this last year on SCGB

Camp 1 (doctors): Don't
Camp 2 (everyone else [or so it seemed]) Stick to Blues
Camp 3 (doctors who skied whilst pregnant) Go for it

This time round, I'm not going to express an opinion.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nickbunting, a very good summary.
The earlier snowheads thread is here.
If you are a member of SCGB there are over 150 posts on this subject over a number of threads, the two main ones being Pregnant skiing and PREGNANT SKIING.
Confusion reigns in these threads due to 2 mistakes:
1. Lumping the whole 9 months of pregnancy into one basket
2. Assuming the main risk is to the baby (a fall inducing miscarriage), rather than the mother.
Pregnancy is usually split into Trimesters (3 month periods), and as any mum will tell you, each trimester is different. First is all tired and sickness and worry. Second is all blooming and feeling marvelous. Third is back to tired and worry with a fair amount of back-ache and fed-up thrown in.
If you google for "skiing when pregnant" you will get just as much conflicting advice.
But, as I understand it:
1. Skiing in first and second trimesters is probably fine (netdoctor). But listen to your body. If you want to charge about, then do so. If your body is clearly telling you to slow down, then do that instead.
2. Baby is well cushioned in his waterbath. Despite lots of "opinions" to the contrary, I can find no evidence that a fall can damage the baby, any more than it could damage the mother. And it is the mother who is at far greater risk. In the last trimester joints and ligaments become more lax in preparation for the rigours of childbirth. Strains and sprains become more likely. So be careful!
I leave you with the fun discussion on this subject from IYS
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am told I skied at minus 6 months, so, since my birthday is July 4th and assuming my parents skied at Christmas, means that my mother was skiing around her 12th / 13th week (or later).
My dad was a surgeon and I assume can't have been too worried, but no doubt knowledge has progressed since then.
There is the worry, of course, that all ski-foetuses might be subliminally effected and turn out a bit like me.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Firstly welcome to hell, but it does have its good bits.

I know people will say you could get run over walking to the shops but I think putting yourself on offer is asking for trouble.

You can be very careful but you can't plan for the out of control 18 stone a***hole who comes flying down the piste and crashes into your Mrs and unborn child.

I must emphasise that you should make the very most of the next nine months (assuming this is your first) but personally I would draw the line.

Obviously fathers can ski without any danger to the unborn child. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As a GP I have to second Jonpim's excellent summary. Gut instinct makes us (doctors) say no on reflex, but as Jonpim said it is more complex than that. One thing that I would add is that if (God forbid) something was to go wrong, the usual reaction of most mothers to be is to blame themselves, and they often feel very guilty about anything that they have done that may be perceived as "wrong". Although it is unlikely that skiing early in pregnancy would be likely to cause problems in the pregnancy, you have to ask yourself how you would feel if a problem occurred either as a consequence of skiing, or even coincidentally.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ian bloomfield wrote:
Obviously fathers can ski without any danger to the unborn child.

However if a Father boogers off skiing while to-be Mum is told to stay home . . . he exposes those things that got his good lady into that condition, to extreme danger.
snow conditions
ian bloomfield, just who are you worried about? Mum or the child? If this 18 stone bumhole crashes into Mum with enough force to injure Baby, then Mum is sure to be seriously injured as well. If Mums-to-be cannot ski because they might be injured, then by the same logic Mums-that-are cannot ski also. In fact if Mum-to-be gets killed, then so will Baby, just leaving Hubbie and rest of family to cope. If Mum-that-is gets killed, then young baby (back in chalet with nanny) us now bereft of milk, love and comfort. So no Mums with young infants should ski. But surely death of Mum is just as traumatic for older children, so no Mums should ski at all. And what about kids coping with loss of their Dads? Yup, no Dads should ski. And so on. No one should ski.
Except for me, of course, and my mates. Lovely empty pistes. Bliss! snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:

However if a Father boogers off skiing while to-be Mum is told to stay home . . . he exposes those things that got his good lady into that condition, to extreme danger.

I have never hurt my tackle whilst skiing.

Quote:

ian bloomfield, just who are you worried about? Mum or the child?

Look the bloke was looking for advice of which you gave him plenty, as a father of two under two and a half I feel my opinion is a valid one, why put your theory to the test.

I know Jonpim that you are a medical professional but to be frank in these days of litigation I'm surprised you have been so supportive pro pregnant skiing in your response.

Imagine that HG's wife gets clattered but she is okay afterwards, do you have any comprehension what he and she will go through for the hour after the incident for the sake of a skiing adventure of which there will be plenty to come in the years ahead.

I don't want to get into a how's your father about this but I cannot see past caution being the best remedy in this case. I've run this scenario past the Mrs. and she agrees with me for what it's worth.

It's the same issue about pregnant women not riding motorbikes Laughing
ski holidays
Jonpim. That ifyouski thread is very funny, there's obviously some sharp wits on there. thanks for that.
ski holidays
ian bloomfield, sorry if I came on a bit hard there. The bubbley was fizzing round the brain, and the smokey-bacon almonds weren't doing their job of slowing down the input. At the time I thought I was being ever-so amusing and clever. Maybe not.
I do not mean to suggest the skiing should be compulsory for all those who are pregnant. All the usual risks apply. But I hoped to inject some rationality into the debate - and failed miserably Sad
1. The risk. I think skiing while pregnant little different than skiing with a young child. Injury remains just as possible - maybe even more so during the early learning years. The guilt is just as powerful. Some years ago the 7yr daughter of a friend failed to get off a button lift, was lifted up in the air and dropped about 12 feet over the side of the slope. As you can imagine, Mum and Dad who were watching were in a terrible state. Fortunately Emma was OK, but all agreed that her helmet saved her from far worse injuries. Guilt? Talk to Emma's mum and dad.
2. The shame. For some, skiing when pregant is cleary a mortal sin. But the evidence freely available states up to 20 weeks is fine, and beyond that "see how you feel". Fresh air and exercise are good. Social interaction is good. Inactivity is bad.

Indeed, if you really want to be responsible and reduce the risks, then the journey to the resort may be far more dangerous than the actual skiing. And I'm not referring to transport accidents, I'm referring to DVTs.
Blood clots in the leg and pelvic veins (Deep Venous Thrombosis, DVT) can break off from the wall of the vein and get swept up to the heart and lungs where it will block major blood vessels causing chest pain, shortness of breath and death.
All maternal deaths are reported to a central office, and the data from these deaths are published every three years. The latest report "Why Mothers Die 2000–2002" was published in November. I quote from the last paragraph of page 3: "The most common cause of Direct deaths was again thromboembolism, the rates for which remain largely unchanged since 1997–99." Nothing about skiing.
ski holidays
Jonpim, no problem.

presumably the reason for there not being a mention of skiing in the report is because none have been skiing opting to stay at home instead where they are safe.
snow report
ian bloomfield wrote:
at home instead where they are safe
Safe? Er, no!
More people are injured in their homes than anywhere else (TelMedPak). More than a third of all accidents to adults take place in the home, the largest single cause of accidents in the UK (Department of Trade and Industry). The place where people feel the safest-their own home-is the most dangerous place for them to be during a fire (University of Minnesota).

A bit of Googling™ suggests that the safest place to be is actually in Portugal in a Tank Madeye-Smiley .
snow conditions
Jonpim, get real how would a pregnant woman fit into a tank. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
A bit of Googling™ suggests that the safest place to be is actually in Portugal in a Tank Madeye-Smiley .

To be safe on Portuguese roads, you need a tank!
latest report
ian bloomfield, Rats! I didn't think of that. Back to the drawing board. Sad

laundryman, the roads may be unsafe, but the police are certainly most obliging - where else would you find the fuzz actually providing a roadside spliff ? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
If I put her in a tank, she could blow up all the piste bashers, leaving loads of empty unpisted stuff...the only prob then is she would be sure to ski!
latest report
I get the impression that most of these posts are from men! I've never had a baby so can't speak firsthand, but many of my friends here have and have continued ski-ing, running, walking, swimming, playing tennis and generally living for as much of their pregnancy as possible. I've also taught pregnant women in the past with no problems.

I don't believe "safe" exists - you have to do what you like or you'll be miserable and that includes ski-ing, however obviously it would be advisable to avoid Feb half term if possible, and Parisiens at all costs. wink
snow conditions
I think jonpim's logic is exactly right. it really annoys me to see healthy and hearty family cycling outings with kids in helmets and parents not. So, if dad's head gets smashed, or mum's, who looks after the kids? I never had the chance to ski when pregnant - too poor the first and second time, and living in the tropics the third time. Where I did windsurf at 38.5 weeks, because I judged the only real risk was of looking ridiculous in fetching Mothercare pregnant lady swimsuit, with frog style colouring. Falling into water, at the speeds I attained on a windsurfer, did not seem a problem, and because of all the extra weight, leaning back to pull the sail out of the water was a cinch. However, I did only use a small sail, and did not go out in high winds. Climbing back on board after falling off was a bit of a mission. If not now far too old to be pregnant, even if the relevant organs had not been surgically removed years ago, I would have no hesitation ski-ing in the middle of pregnancy, if feeling fit, but I would take it easy and be very conscientious about doing all the physiotherapy to ensure muscles and things in good shape. But that would be to safeguard my own long-term health and fitness, not the baby's. In the last few weeks those floppy ligaments, helpful whilst giving birth, do make one a bit more prone to injury, I think. and anyway, how could you get into your salopettes? and the balance does change - that slightly backward leaning waddle would be hard to cope with, I suspect. Put the weight much too far back. And no room for a large bump on a chair lift. But in the earlier stages? No problem.
snow report
easiski, you're quite right, there is no such things as safe, only relative degrees of risk, which we are all notoriously bad at judging.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, you're quite right - what the hell are blokes commenting on this subject for!?!?!
I apoligise profusely and will now crawl away into the cupboard-under-the-stairs.
But, of course if a few more girlies don't post soon, I will be back pontificating in the morning. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
OK then, Jonpim, I'll jump in as a "girlie". I've had 4 children but never had the opportunity to ski whilst pregnant. Like pam w, I was too poor! Added to that I felt so sick and tired during the first trimester that I wouldn't have wanted to anyway. But - and there's always a but - with one pregnancy I had a threatened miscarriage and spent 3 days in bed, weeping copiously and wondering what I had done to deserve this. Now I know, logically, the answer was nothing. And for me all was, eventually, well. But I know many women who have had miscarriages (statistically one in five pregnancies end like this? I think - don't quote me) and there is always a feeling of "what if I had done/hadn't done that".

I know it's not logical. I know it doesn't make sense. But if you think you may end up feeling like this, would you enjoy your skiing? Only each individual woman can decide what is best for her. (Incidently, I think being really sick and tired is God's way of telling you not to do too much!)
snow conditions
maggi, approximately 1 in 3 pregnancies ends in a miscarriage. A significant proportion of those will happen before the mother even realises that she is pregnant.
snow report
Quote:

however obviously it would be advisable to avoid Feb half term if possible, and Parisiens at all costs.

why's that then?
snow report
ian bloomfield, Because February half term is full of people trying to run you over, and Parisiens generally ski how they drive in Paris! Shocked

maggi, Your point is valid, however I knew one woman who rode several horses every day until she was 6 months, then she mucked out 15 stables a day until the day of the birth: mucked out, felt a bit dodgy went to hospital, had baby and mucked out again next day! It must be purely individual.
latest report
Therefore skiing could be hazardous to a pregnant woman through no fault of her own.

I rest my case and thanks for your support.
ski holidays
easiski, I agree, it is certainly individual. I hadn't learnt to ski when I had my kids, and was certainly not as active as I am now. I do remember the Duchss of York getiting a lot of criticism for skiing during one of her pregnancies. If I was pregnant now, it would purely be how I felt on the day.
snow report
My boss seems to feel fabulous when pregnant so she skis - last year she skied in February and the Baby was born July 1st, so that would be 2nd Trimester if I'm counting right. Currently she's pregnant again - due July 31st, and she'll be skiing this coming weekend, and will continue to ski until her husband no longer lets her!
snow report
For the last few years I've organised a group ski trip and this year I'm pregnant. I thought I'd be 16 weeks while on the slopes but it turns out I'll actually be 20 weeks!
I've paid for my lift pass and equipment hire and am planning to go on the holiday (so not stressing about the flights or the altitude the top of La Rosiere is ~2850m) but am a teeny bit concerned about the actual skiing.
My ex boss skied at 6 months and was fine.
I was knackered and nauseous in month 2 but feel fine now though just getting a little bumpy.

I'm wondering if there's anyone here who has actually been skiing while pregnant? Did you fall at all? How did it work out in the end? I've heard of lots of people who've skied while pregnant and been fine but no-one who's actually ended their pregnancy on the slopes (likely because it's not something you like to talk about). If this did happen to you, was it a bad fall/on your bump/on your bum? (really sorry that this is an insensitive question - please ignore me if it's too out of order).
I know there's not a lot of actual medical data and what there is suggests you're probably fine barring the sort of major wipe-out that would cause injury to the mum too. Just hoping for a few more anecdotes from those who've done it.....

Also any further thoughts about the relaxed ligaments - from the reading I've done I thought this didn't really kick in until the final trimester - has anyone here experienced or heard of someone experiencing a ligament problem during or due to skiing while in 2nd trimester? (that they didn't already have)

My level of skiing is such that last year I skied absolutely whatever I wanted for the whole week and fell once. This time I'll obviously take it easy but, of course, knowing that I don't want to fall may well make it more likely to happen! A lot will depend on how I feel on the day and the quality of the snow (assuming there is some!).

Would a large "Baby on Board" sign on the back of my jacket make me more or less likely to be taken out by someone coming down erratically behind me? Smile

Thanks for any comments.
ski holidays
hopefuly this dosent apply any more.. but 5-6 weeks isnt pregnant .. its 'late' ..!
snow report
My wife skied 10 weeks pregnant, only advice she would give is to make sure you know where all the loos are!

Plus she got tired easily

From my perspective I was very drunk, mainly as we were trying to keep it from friends and family until 12 weeks. Hence I was drinking all wifes wine when people weren't looking. It was tough, but the least I could do
snow report
asw97uk, My Swedish mate skied at 7 months when we were in France a couple of years ago. But she just took it really easy - cruisy greens, nursery slope, shops and restaurants. She was tired but really enjoyed it. She even did some of the driving there and back.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy