Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carnage alley

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure most resorts have them. Think the bottleneck on Trolles (in Tignes) just before the schuss, narrow, moguls, lots of people out of their depth. Santons in Val D similar. So where are they and what is the best way of dealing with a landscape of people stood around in random places cutting off all the obvious routes??
Are you a "cherry picker", a "blaster" an "over the edger" or have a better technique for dealing with the situation?
Going to Tignes at Feb half term so the issue is URGENT! (Well only3 months off). Embarassed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Carnage alley in La Plagne has to be the small gap between the stadium and adjacent hotels, especially fun when 2 club med ski schools go for the gap at the same time Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Coming into La Daille - straight line it all the way - if they ain't good enough to get out of the way, they shouldn't be there in the first place Twisted Evil
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go down the side off the piste problem solved
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Guvnor, which piste? There are several that head in to La Daille. Verte above the bridge is usually hilarious at the end of the day, then it gets better when you hit Coupe de Monde a few hundred metres later.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Choucas - La Rosiere. Narrow in places, flatish, but not slow, problem is that it crosses half a dozen pistes and is the main return pist from Italy and the Fort Area.

If staying in Tignes Le Lac or Lavachet then any skier not entirely comfortable on steep red should go via Val Claret or get the Aeroski bubble down. My technique on Trolles is to stay to the right until the narrow bit and then go straight down the middle and try not to worry about everyone else.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hyweljenkins, Doesn't really make much difference, they all have countless bodies littering the slopes.....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ordhan, Good technique for Trolles, but for Santons there is only so far up the walls that ican go before gravity kicks in. Skullie
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, so thats you and Guvnor, as "blasters", anymore?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PsychoBabble, "blaster" could well be over egging my pudding Embarassed
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"Slalom baby slalom" & use plenty of elbows Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Coming over the perpetually windscoured pass between Gandvallira and Pas de La Casa is usually interesting, the best bet seems to be to pick your moment and straightline the skiers left, allows you to carry speed into the ski-x run as well.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
get up for the first lift, ski/board your back bottom off till 2/3 , get down early to miss the crush on the battered slopes and in the bar..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Le Couloir at Alpe d'Huez is pretty bad as I recall. Also there's a main run down into Verbier whose name escapes me which was appalling when I was there (at quite an off peak time in Jan) last year.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Val D - coming down from Solaise.

There was a place at Alpe D - tight entrance, loads of moguls. That was carnage (not The Tunnel, though that's usually a disaster zone too, as you emerge to find people almost trying to claw their way back up).
ski holidays
On a smaller scale than Val D or tignes, I'm sure but the 'home' pistes immediately above Valmeinier 1800 are unpleasant at the end of the day.
The choice is the 'slalom' which is usually one big sheet of boilerplate ice or the more popular (I wonder why?) alternative which is hugely wide until a few hundred yards from home when it narrows dramatically with a fence on one side and a big drop on the other. The suface usually looks fine but is, in fact, sheet ice with - if you're lucky - a thin covering of snow. Ski-school 'crocodiles' and crashes all over the place. Lovely Shocked
latest report
Red Leon, I look forward to my nervous intermediate family on those next year then...
snow report
Espace San Bernardo faisan (parallel to the Bellecombe drag) has a short steep pitch at tis start which you need to "go for" or you end up walking further on. It's often very lumpy by the late afternoon and littered with people picking their way down. I don't like walking Evil or Very Mad so there is no choice but to pick your time and "blast" down one edge
ski holidays
Nickski,
Quote:

Val D - coming down from Solaise.

I was just thinking of that one as I was walking back to the office! Horrible run at the end of the day.
snow report
Villars: from outside the ski school office at Bretaye, down (100 yards?) to the Poma up to the Roc d'Orsay - whence the Telecabine down.

As it's much the fastest way down from Bretaye to the village, it's very tempting to take novices down it (and then have them fall off the fast Poma). But it's steep, icy and slushy (seemingly all at once).
ski holidays
Best way to deal with it is to find a table with a view, grab a beer & watch the entertainment. rolling eyes Failing that wear full armour, pick your moment and go for it. Twisted Evil It feels like an insult to ones honour to take the lift down but I suppose it makes sense as one could easily be hurt or hurt someone no matter how good you are.
ski holidays
PsychoBabble wrote:
Ordhan, Good technique for Trolls, but for Stanton still drives us up the wall

Good point well made.
snow conditions
I think the level of carnage depends on the day - friday pm is always 'carnage day' as far as I am concerned, with most going home the following day they push themselves harder and down thinks that perhaps they shouldn't be on. I'm sure most resorts have more bloodwagons being used on carnage friday than any other days (all other things being equal) - the blue under the main bubble in ADH is particularly bad for this as people, previously on greens push themselves more and more..

You've got to add the 'happy valley' in st.anton to this list - see other posts on here. The bottom 20yds of the main blue in lech (the one down from the eisbar) get's really chopped up and carnage results, and there aren't really any alternatives. Personally I'd like them to do something with that, as the blue is a fantastic improvers but the bottom will give a few the heebie jeebies. The red down from kitz is quite a thigh burner at the end of the day, but a lot of people download on the bubble.
latest report
I actually think the home runs to Ischgl are about the worst I have seen but seeing how many people you can kebab on your tips seems to be part of the entertainment.
snow report
PsychoBabble, I'll see you in carnage alley in Feb then snowHead

I'll be picking my way down the left side (folk hate the drop off over there) before going ballistic down the bottom section.
ski holidays
Hmm. Haven't been in peak season for so long I can't really remember a very busy piste. My technique is a combination of carefully picking my way through people, stopping to pick up the odd attractive female and then getting bored and blasting down one edge. It's usually easy enough to wait for a gap and then go for it, slowing down again if the way is blocked. I've never hit anyone* and noone's ever hit me (I get out of the way or try to stop them if me moving is going to cause them to hit someone else).

I'm well aware that nervous skiers get scared of people blasting past them even if they're not going to hit them so I try to keep a good distance between me and any other skiers.

* That's not strictly true. I wasn't looking where I was going when I was about 11 and smacked straight into the back of someone in a lift queue. Haven't done that since. Embarassed
latest report
olster, is that oddly attractive, or odd but attractive?

I stop to help anyone and seem to help up a lot of small kids whose parents ski in front of them for some reason. Little Angel
ski holidays
Downstream of the Kazy Kanagaruh.

Les Demoiselles at LDA - and the black alternative - forget the name.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Banff Avenue.. End of day. Mostly the Brits with kids en tow wedging turns from one side to the other and unpredictably sitting down in the middle of runs for a break. Oh and snowboarders who can't go fast enough to get over the flat spots!!
ski holidays
achilles, there are several alternatives, but you mean the Valentin.
snow report
achilles, That'll be the Valentin......Mr R32 had his ski pole snapped in two by an out of control Italian Lady......except that he didn't call her a lady!!! rolling eyes
snow conditions
Mosha Marc, I could have phrased that better Very Happy. "pick up the occasional attractive female".

Actually, I'd probably stop to check anyone who'd fallen over was OK.
ski holidays
Lizzard, Snap!!
ski holidays
R32, Mr R32 should know better by now - why wasn't he on the Y instead?
snow report
Lizzard, He thought it looked fairly quiet rolling eyes and I'd taken the sensible Belle Etoile chair down so I could meet him at the bottom!!
latest report
Main run back into Obergurgl is also fun at the end of the day
T Bar, Im going to test out Ischgl in March
ski holidays
Garfield, It's pretty good but it gets a bit tight on the runs back to the resort. Probably easier in March when its a bit softer at the end of the day. Earlier in the day the runs are good. Have a great time.
snow report
The red run down to the mid-station on the glacier at Kaprun is pretty hairy as lots of people want to ski down and take to a narrow and frequently moguled red when they can barely do snowplough turns. We tended to ski down the side of the natural half-pipe so we just by-passed them all.

All the runs down to Mottaret from Saulire tend to be busy and littered with bodies - we tend to keep off-piste to the side if we can.
snow conditions
PsychoBabble, going offpiste alongside Trolles (skiers left) is not without its dangers. That offpiste bit has claimed at least 4 lives in the last 4 years as its very avalanche prone and peeps are being swept into the lake below. As always the presence of tracks is no guarantee of safety as testified to by photos of those incidents that you can find on pistehors.com.

I subscribe to straight down the middle and f**k the rest Twisted Evil
snow conditions
bertie bassett wrote:
I think the level of carnage depends on the day - friday pm is always 'carnage day' as far as I am concerned, with most going home the following day they push themselves harder and down thinks that perhaps they shouldn't be on.

I thing that if you thing that you've got another think comink,
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy