Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Unheard of skis on eBay

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for a pair of cheap(ish) skis to ski over British rocks.

On eBay are advertised all sorts of implausibly cheap skis of reasonable makes. But google draws a complete blank for them. Just for instance:

Rossignol Open 90
Rossignol STR
Rossignol three star

Where do they come from? Do ski shops make special orders of "exclusive" skis - no doubt with just the graphic changed. Or are these end of lines, sent out with a different graphic on the top so as not to devalue the originals?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I should add I'm not a particularly experienced skier, so it probably won't make much difference to me, but it's nice to read somewhere of somebody with a positive thing to say about the ski...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rossi Opens were a sort of bronze colour and had a rubber tip with a plastic window in it, I recall. A sort of ski version of a Renault Fuego. This was a wee while back mind you.

If you're rocking that sort of steeze you surely need a set of dynastar course with the red plastic gizmo in the tip.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
James the Last, the people who invented Google were barely an itch in their parents' undies when the Rossi ST-R was out. (Trying to remember whether DIN was invented yet). I think you may be expecting a bit much.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think that sort of vintage you can probably bag for under a tenner at your local charity shop but beware bindings probably won't be indemnified.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
James the Last, the open 90s are findable. The Axium STRs less so. They appear to be "modern" skis.

http://www.summits.co.uk/acatalog/info_1027.html

http://www.allegro.pl/item461877763_nowe_narty_rossignol_z_wiazaniami_skirace_tanio.html

Couldn't find the the 3 stars anywahere else (I didn't look very hard). They all look like "average" rental skis - i.e. cheap and rebadged for the rental market. You say you aren't particularly experienced - are you sure you want to buy your own skis yet? How much skiing are you likely to do in the next few years? Renting often a better/more economic/etc. option. These examples probably don't perform terribly well and probably don't last so well either.

The Opens and STRs are re-incarnations of old model names. The Open was an atrocious ski by reputation (I was on the Dynastars with the wee red gizmo at that point which were awesome, as long as the gizmos didn't self release; whether or not they helped your skiing they certainly accumulated a fair degree of kinetic energy)

The original ST (no R involved at that point IIRC) was an early schoolboy fetish of mine. ( http://detroit.craigslist.org/spo/902663896.html - those ones even have the S727, ah, now there was a revolutionary binding...)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch,

http://forums.epicski.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3596&stc=1&d=1217279162
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch, I spotted two different pairs of Open 33s on French roof racks last easter.

I still have my gold Dynastar Course GS, as well as skis with both S727N and S727E bindings.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex, link didn't work?

OoOh, my brother broke mine up Glencoe one day. They didn't owe me anything, but still...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you can be bothered to get to canary wharf ( your sig says london) I have two pairs you can have for the asking - a set of atomic C9s in 170 that I think are 4 years old, and a set of Rossi T-powers - neither have done hard service, and were serviced after last use I think. The C9s were pretty decent skis and you still see plenty of folks on them but they are to soft for me and they drive me nuts, if you are under 100kilos and less then 6ft they'd be fine.(on piste, too narrow for off piste!)

pm me.

aj xx
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
a.j. wrote:
If you can be bothered to get to canary wharf ( your sig says london) I have two pairs you can have for the asking - a set of atomic C9s in 170 that I think are 4 years old, and a set of Rossi T-powers - neither have done hard service, and were serviced after last use I think. The C9s were pretty decent skis and you still see plenty of folks on them but they are to soft for me and they drive me nuts, if you are under 100kilos and less then 6ft they'd be fine.(on piste, too narrow for off piste!)

I love my C9 Puls, but I got the 180 length, and am 5' 9", about 90 kilos.

I do wonder sometimes if I should have gone for a shorter length.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
a.j. Brilliant, that's very kind of you indeed, Canary Wharf is no distance at all and your generosity will be rewarded. PM system doesn't seem to work for me - and yes, I DO (now!) have a current email address in the system, it just doesn't seem to have dragged me out of the crevasse yet...

I'm 65kgs and 6ft.

Please send me an email to jamesnkr "at" yahoo "dot" co "dot" uk.

In answer to other points, I want a pair of cheap skis to ski over British rocks; I'm perfectly happy to hire in the Alps; but it makes little economic sense to pay £25 to hire for a day in the UK when a set of skis can be had for little more... and the risk of running over bare rock and being landed with a large damage bill is not insignificant. The skis mentioned are all apparently of recent construction, although I think some of the names have been resurrected from earlier generations. All a little below the £100 mark, on eBay, new.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skiing is about having fun, and skiing on last century's ski's just wouldn't be much fun

imo

I laugh all season long when you see people in the lift lines on old 210 straight skis. They have no doubt paid a small fortune to be on a ski holiday, then they cheap out on the most important part of a ski holiday --- the SKI !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wbsr wrote:
Skiing is about having fun, and skiing on last century's ski's just wouldn't be much fun

imo

I laugh all season long when you see people in the lift lines on old 210 straight skis. They have no doubt paid a small fortune to be on a ski holiday, then they cheap out on the most important part of a ski holiday --- the SKI !

That is not necessarily true (or even likley to be IMO).

Most of the people on those skis will have been skiing since they were the current thing, and they are hapy and comfortable skiing on them.

It certainly isn't likely to be a case of "cheaping out" on the skis
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I agree with alex_heney. I have taken time and lessons to learn 'nuskool' - often wondering if it is really worthwhile. I can understand why others are happy to continue with their established technique particularly if they have no obsession with off-piste.
snow report
or carving?
ski holidays
read article by glenn plake last year saying how he still takes out his dynastar extremes 215 cm long and straight into back country once a week or so. If a skier with his talents was next to me in the lift line i'd keep my mouth shut about "cheaping out" on the skis NehNeh
snow report
bucking bronco, not being able to carve on the old boards is a myth.

Few people can do it, and no one now teaches it, but it can be done and it was done.

beequin,

http://youtube.com/v/HbrZpJm6zdA
ski holidays
I just fell on this two year old thread and have to say - that video clip is great!! They're having a shed-load of fun - LOOK at that powder! And they're wearing trendy Moncler too....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy