Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Children's ski helmets

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Our kids are going skiing for the first time. Can you tell me whether our 10 and 12 year olds would look stupid in ski helmets or are they becoming more common? We are going to Val Cenis and the 10 year old is off to Avoriaz on a spearate trip.
Many thanks for any answers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wildnoon, Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead - your children won't look stupid in helmets, they will look cool! Cool They are an absolute necessity IMV, and our boys (14 and 9) are not allowed to ski without them. They are certainly very common - in fact, you are more likely to notice a child without one than with.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

They are certainly very common - in fact, you are more likely to notice a child without one than with.

Agreed
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anniepen wrote:
...helmets....are an absolute necessity ...

That's one opinion..not sure I agree! wink Toofy Grin

wildnoon., only joking..No and yes are my answers to your questions
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
please please please buy helmets- get your kids wearing them so they become a habit. These are a must
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If it is their first time, then I assume that they will be taking lessons. Many ski schools will not teach children unless they are wearing helmets. Regardless, they should wear them anyway - ours do and it is now second nature for them - they feel naked without them! Maybe I'll even wear one one day...!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wildnoon, try to take a trip to Decathlon, either online or en route. Their kids' helmet prices are less than half what you'll pay to rent them in resort.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sproggski wrote:
wildnoon, try to take a trip to Decathlon, either online or en route. Their kids' helmet prices are less than half what you'll pay to rent them in resort.

second the decathlon idea, good value and quality, much better to put your childs head in a new helmet and teach them to treat it with respect in order that it can do its job if called upon, than risk second hand or a hired item with an unknown history.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've never paid to rent a helmet - they always include them at no charge

Not going to buy them - with 3 kids - who have a habit of growing - I'd be buying them every year
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bought my now 4yr old a helmet last time we went skiing (2007) from decathlon, lightweight, fitted well and very cheap compared to a branded one.....job done! snowHead

To be honest if they are growing out of them its probably one of those things you could get a season of use out of and if in good condition still and not had any damage then would easily expect to sell on ebay...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helmets are compulsory for kids in Italy, and it's common for ski schools elsewhere to insist on them too. Even our 2yo knows he has to have his helmet on when skiing!

Helmets do last a few years: yes they eventually grow out of them, but heads grow only slowly. #1son (7) has only just moved into a larger sized helmet after 4 years in the previous size.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wildnoon,

Hi

Top Tips

If you buy a helmet for your kids, have a look at the label and ensure that it confirms to EN 1077. You must ensure that it fits snugly so it will not swivel around whilst you are wearing it and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, when skiing make sure the neck strap is fastened.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Many thanks for the replies. It's a few years since I skiied myself and helmets were not so common at all then. I was in Decathlon today and when I got home I looked at the websites of Val Cenis ski hire shops - they all charge around €12 extra for a helmet and since Decathlon's helmets start at €12, I'm going back there this weekend to buy some for all the kids.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stick the helmets on their heads, then wobble them up and down a bit. If their eyebrows don't move, the helmets are too big.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy