Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is 13th December in Tignes too early

Poster: A snowHead
Hello Snowheads

I spend a lot of time reading the snowheads forums, but not much time posting so here goes...

I booked a last minute ski trip to Tignes last year, and arrived on the 3rd December. It was my first ever ski trip, it snowed all week and I had an amazing time. So good infact I went to Les Arcs in March which was even better as I didnt have to spend the first 3 days on the nursery slopes.

I've got a week booked off work from 13th December this year and I can't wait to get back to the snow. I'm itching to get my holiday booked now but I'm a bit worried it is too early in the season...

Was i just very very lucky with the snow last year or should I just stop worrying and get it booked?

Puzzled

I await your snowheads wisdom with great anticipation.

Blakey

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
blakey, I flew back from Tignes on Friday and it was dumping it down snowHead

You'll get skiing in, as there is a glacier there, and hopefully by now the start of a good base. Whether or not you get fresh powder while you are there is beyond anyone's guess.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think I'm just going to book it.

I made it onto the bottom part of the glacier last year but the cable car was closed due to the weather, so never been all the way up. I suppose we could spend a week on the glacier at worst!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
blakey, welcome to posting.... yes, you were lucky last year. But equally, you'd be unlucky not to get a decent amount of skiing available in Tignes in mid December.

But why don't you wait till last minute - there'll be heaps of room available. Though if you are doing DIY, book the flights now.

Have fun.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks pam

I think i should wait till last minute like last time... but i bet you can imagine I'm excited and itching to get it booked!

At least there is some whiteness on the webcams now, i was getting sick of checking up on a green field everyday at work Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Will this sway you in anyway? Taken last Thursday (30th October). Foot deep powder on the Tignes glacier!

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
what do you think Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blakey, we're going out the same day (13th) for two weeks including Christmas. We're on an Inspired To Ski course for the first week, and then getting private tutition for the second week. Last year at the same time there was lots of snow. The year before they opened some runs from the glacier to resort on the last day we were there, and that was mid-November, AND that year was relatively poor for snow.

Like everybody says, there is always the glacier, and you would be very unlucky not to have more runs open by mid-December.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

The year before they opened some runs from the glacier to resort on the last day we were there, and that was mid-November, AND that year was relatively poor for snow.

I think that just decided it! Roll on December Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
blakey, We too are going out for the Inspired to Ski course on 13th December and then hopping over to Val for Christmas week. Was in Val last Christmas and it was lovely snow and sun (shame hubby spent most of it in the English Medical Centre with his knee Sad )
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fresh dump of snow last night - check the snow reports thread for more info. forecast is more for tomorrow night. Freezing level seems to be moving in the right direction as well
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have been to Val/Tignes the last two years in early December and am going again this year.

You cannot depend on the glacier though. I have seen it closed all week more than once after heavy snow and high winds. Having said that if they have had heavy snow, there will probably be plenty lower down as well.

Val and Tignes are not actually my favoutite resorts, but for early season skiing it's the only place I would book in advance with a reasonable degree of confidence in the conditions.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Beverley, are you staying at the hotel with the group?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
docsquid, Hi, we are staying in Annapurna I. Never stayed here (or been on an Inspired to Ski Course) but it looks good. I'm on the all mountain terrain and my husband, William, is on the off-piste course. After this we are transferring to Val to another Skiworld chalet to meet up with friends from our village going out for Christmas.

What bit of the course are you doing? See you are staying on here for Christmas as well.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Beverley, yep, I'm doing the all mountain and so is Stephen. Although by their description I'm a Level 5/6, I've put myself in a Level 4/5 group because of breathing difficulties that are due to an incurable and progressive lung disease - going in an easier group means I get a bit more recovery time to get my breath back between exercises and means I don't hold people up all the time or wear myself out trying to keep up.

We are staying at the Annapurna for Christmas but having lessons in Val d'Isere that Christmas week. This relies a bit on the links being open but I can't think there won't be one link/run down to Val or La Daille that isn't open.
snow conditions
Hello there docsquid, I must admit I spent a while reading through your incredible website last night. You are an amazing lady!

I have put myself on Level 4 and am normally last down, though this is through sheer incompetence on my part more than anything else, which is why I hope I will progress on this course. We are staying in a Skiworld chalet in La Laisinant near the Laisinant Express lift in Val, so perhaps may see you on the slopes during Christmas week too and meet for a vin chaud at some point.

See you in December snowHead
snow report
docsquid, I read it too the other day. As the young people say 'respect'. Toofy Grin

I want to go on one of these courses, but am dithering about which one to pick. Phil Smith (from Snoworks) suggested on piste performance as a good starting point or an an all-terrain if I'm feeling fitter. And that's worried me already!
snow conditions
docsquid, funnily enough I read it last night too! Amazing.
ski holidays
docsquid, your website makes me feel really lazy. I'm doing the ITS all-mountain course that week too and have put myself down as 4/5 so will see you all there. I really fancied the off-piste course but then thought that the all-mountain would provide a good start to the season, can do some off-piste stuff later.
ski holidays
It will be good to see so many SH's there. Mr DS is doing Level 5 all mountain. I want to do a mixture of stuff towards BASI Level 2, not just off-piste and bumps, hence the all-mountain choice. I'm getting so excited now about the whole thing! Skiing every week at the Snowdome at least once or twice in anticipation!
snow report
erica2004, Completely aside of skiing here......My parents moved to Tavistock (from Penzance, Cornwall where I am originally from) when I was 4 years old. My first primary school was in Tavistock. I am reminded of the time that my mother was late meeting me at the gate so I walked home, via the fire station as it looked exciting and ended up having half the town searching for me and my mother going spare for my safety. As it happened I turned up home (No 7 Inswell Court) completely oblivious of the panic! (Sadly I have to point out this was in....... 1965... Shocked Golly am I really THAT old??). Shocked
latest report
Beverley, docsquid, Kelskii, I will be there too on 13th to see you/meet you as you will already know from the other threads etc. I'm on Off Piste though that week. I can't believe it has come round so quickly, when I booked there was like 30 odd weeks until departure, now it's just over 3 weeks (I leave on 29th). See you all there on 13th when you get in from Geneva. snowHead
ski holidays
Hi blakey, we go out with the lake District Ski Club on the 14th to VDI. Have been out with them now that week for the last 3 years and despite poor snow depth the first 2 years, most runs were still open so I'm not worried any longer. There is already 60cm at 3000m in VDI so the begginings of a decent base.

You'll recgnise us if you see us. Probably about 4 of the oldest skiers you've ever seen and me ! The oldest (and fastest) in our party is the great Bernie Warriner, soon to be 77 Shocked
latest report
richjp, How are you doing? Laughing
When are you out there...? I'll be there from the 10th-14th, meeting some friends in Val and there are a group of snowHead around at that time.
All sorts going on..Laughing
ski holidays
Beverley, It's a lovely town - gets very busy in summer though. We live in Lamerton which is a couple of miles out of town.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy