Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes or Val Thorens (for a beginner) ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Tignes or Val Thorens (end of Jan 09)

Need some advice. I usually Ski in Austria/USA but my fiance is along for the journey this time. As I have not been to either resort, what is the best resort with her being a beginner?

I have picked these two for Snow Sure (as much as can be for beginner in lower runs/ as i can head to glacier) as nearly got caught out Jan 07 with snow cover.

Are the Village Montana Appts in either of these resorts of a fair standard?.

Thanks for your advice in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SCOTT, welcome to snowHeads. I'd say that Val Thorens has slightly more very easy terrain, but not much between the two. I'd say choose your resort based on recommendations for ski school for your fiance. A good ski school experience is a a major part of the success of your first ski holiday.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I learned to ski in Val Thorens - back in 1987!

I seem to remember there being plenty of terrain as a learner. However, something else to consider is that Val Thorens is pretty high altitude (the resort is at 2200m). This caused two problems for me as a first-time skier: Firstly, we had snow pretty much all week and at that altitude there are no trees that provide cover or a point of reference. You feel that you are caught in a bit of a whiteout and that can be disorienting and uncomfortable for a beginner. Secondly, I remember my Dad getting altitude sickness and throwing his guts up. Funny for us, but not for him.

Don't let this put you off, though. I just thought I would throw some factors other than terrain in. I have been to plenty of other high or higher altitudes and it doesn't bother me the way it did then - but I was only 9 years old!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are no trees in Tignes, either. Personally, I'd go for Val Thorens, as there is very easy skiing close very close to the accommodation. But I agree with rob@rar that for a beginner the choice of ski school/instructor is more important than the choice of resort. Can't comment on the specific accommodation, but being really close to the ski school meeting place is a big help; having to clump around in ski boots carrying gear isn't much fun for beginners.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SCOTT, Been to both and while I really like Tignes, VT has a lot more novice terrain directly accessible from the accommodation area .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SCOTT, I'd echo the above as well and just add that if the weather does close in, access to lower, more sheltered areas in the 3-Vs may be easier.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

access to lower, more sheltered areas in the 3-Vs may be easier.

Very good point. The chances are that mid Jan (whilst a good time to choose, uncrowded etc) will be quite cold, and maybe windy. Being able to go either up or down from your accommodation is a big plus point.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the feedback. Very Imformative.

I will look at both resort Ski Schools. I have heard good reviews about Evolution 2 (I think its in VT but maybe its in Tignes) but will google for reviews.

Ive ski since I was 4 years young (29 years) , so I can enjoy the full area in the mornings when my better halfs doing snow-ploughs.

Again thanks for advice and I welcome anybody to add more that will help before I book this weekend.

Cheers wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SCOTT, there is an Evo2 in Tignes as well.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can ski down from Tignes to the trees very easily, but I am pretty sure on a flat beginner slope it won't make much difference.

Would second that VT has much beginner terrain, but really I would choose according to what kind of crowd you want to be around in the evening and whether you want to be able to meet up easily after lessons whilst still bombing around a bit yourself.

I like both too, but they are different!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mrs Monkfish nearly quit skiing after Tignes, if your not ready for it I think it can be a cold, bleak place
I would not have liked my first skiing there much either, though come to think of it I'd probably not have like VT as a learner either

Personally I would go for somewhere slightly lower and a bit more 'winter wonderlandy' than either of those, but maybe I'm an old romantic...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd say stay in Austria, choose a resort that you know and that she will enjoy as a resort even if she doesn't enjoy the skiing.

On the other hand - maybe not, at least there's no temptation to opt out in Tignes / VT, however bad she finds skiing there's little to tempt her away.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think it depends on the day, and Tignes is a darn sight easier on the eye than before, winter wonderland laybe an overstatement, but if they go to the Montana staying in is not bad at all with the spa and outdoor heated pool!

I have taught all my pals there and they are still coming out, but then they have a reason - me! Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am deep in thought now. As one of the suggestions was Austria. I have been to Zell and Kaprun but that was end of Feb.

As much as I can up the % factor of snow-sure, what are the best resorts to look at for snowfall?. Would It be wise to choose somewhere like Lech, St Anton or are there others that have a higher % chance of higher snowfall for mid-late Jan (again to be fairly good for a beginner)

Thanks Again to All
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
if your really worried about the snow why not leave it till a week or two before then book, your looking at going at a quiet time so I would have thought there would still be plenty of availability and a few bargains knocking about
ski holidays
SCOTT, My party and I took 2 adjacent 8-berth apartments in Village Montana in Tignes last March. They were of a decent size (I've certainly stayed in much smaller places in France), even for 8 people in each. When we were there there was sufficient snow for them to be ski in ski out, although your fiancée (I assume your spelling was a mistake!) may not have been up to the 'ski in' part. The 'ski out' was straight out of the ski locker room, put skis on and a very gentle run down to the bottom of (IIRC) the Palafour chair. Most of the ski schools in Le Lac all meet up in the area between the Palafour chair and the bottom of Aeroski. The shops are about a 5 minute walk from the apartments. I'd certainly go back. Read other posts for suitability of skiing.
ski holidays
Slap on hand for my spelling mistake.

Thanks for info on Village Montana CM. Thats good to know that Appts are close to Ski School area. I will take advice from the above,extend my deadline booking till next week.
snow conditions
If your gf wants to ski with people of the same ability all day then go for Austria, which would allow you to ski to your own standard while she does the Austrian style am + lunch on the mountain + pm ski school. I have done am+pm ski school in France but it involves a 3 hour gap in the middle of the day which isn't much fun, so France is better if you want to lunch and ski together in the afternoon.
snow report
As Austria is a option. If we are going Mid-late Jan what resorts are more snow-sure than others but with good novice runs? (Obergurgl,Zurs,St Anton)

thanks
ski holidays
All the resorts you mention for snow should be fine for late January - resort level snow is less for St Anton because it has a lower village than the semi-linked Zurs and Lech (Zurs is highest - on the pass between the other two. - St Anton link is short bus ride - or tough off piste). Obergurgl is a much smaller ski area.

Average snow depth (last 15 years) in cm for lower and upper slopes last 2 weeks in January (skiing at Val Thorens goes considerably below as well as above resort)

............... Tignes ....... Val Thorens .... Obergurgl ....... Lech .......... Zurs ......... St Anton

upper ... 161 / 175 ...... 158 / 169 ...... 153 / 154 ..... 153 / 164 .... 159 / 171 .... 215 / 237
lower .... 89 / 98 ........... 92 / 102 ....... 53 / 56 ......... 84 / 94 ....... 91 / 102 ..... 50 / 54
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy