Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DMS&S Mag

Poster: A snowHead
Has this suddenly gone out of print or something. I haven't been able to find it at any nearby WHSmith for a few weeks now. Confused
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skisimon, hubby got one there the other day, but was unable to find Fall-line.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skisimon, same in my local WHS. I happened to spot the October issue in an airport shop back in Sept, but neither it nor the Nov issue has been on sale here, or if they have, they sold out Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skisimon, PS - happy birthday!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its been arriving in the post regularly, so its still in print. Incidentally, i havn't seen Fall-line around. For the second year running i subscribed online for the magazine, but never recieved a mag. They havn't taken any money though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My local 'Borders' bookshop usually has both Fall-Line and DMS&S ... might be worth a go if you've got one near you.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jonm, thanks.

Quite odd, our WHS have plenty of Fall-Lines, but no DMS&S. Just as well I suppose, it stops me spending my, currently quite limited, funds on a magazine which seemed last time to just be a very large advert, with some resort reviews (the same re-hashed reviews from the year before...) rolling eyes

It's about time we got a decent magazine - preferably with some stuff about racing too.

I'm getting all @rsey about Ski Racing magazine, which I ordered from the States two months ago. I still haven't received an issue (despite the first coming out at the end of August/start of September). I sent them an e-mail and received no response (over two weeks ago), so have just sent another to the head of sales and marketing, demanding a response, or else I shall take the matter to the publisher. Evil or Very Mad Oooh, I've never had to threaten such a thing before - even more suprising given that it's an American mag, and Americans are renowned for their customer service.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have only seen one copy of DMS&S this season, but there were plenty of copies of both issues of Fall Line in both Merthyr and Cheltenham WHS.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They were giving away copies of DMS&S at the Olympia London Ski show
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lots of copies of both DMSS and Fall-line in WHS in both Huntingdon and Hammersmith. They also seem to have started selling Ski magazine as well.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
just bought my dec issue
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DMS&S all over the place in our local Tesco stores - worth a look there?

Fall Line only seems to be available in railway station branches of WHS and in XScape Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can get both very easily in most of the easons in Dublin if that is any help? Even got a free Beanie with DMSS this month
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can still get it, but I find that if you just keep last years issues, they will pretty much read exactly the same. I've been a subscriber for years now and it hasn't changed one bit - which I don't think is a good thing. They just seem to cut, copy and paste from last year, as well as the Where to Ski and Snowboard guide. Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boabski,

I have noticed the cut and pastes too! Am seriously considering not buying it anymore, it seems to be turning into more of an advatorial rather than a snow sports magazine......where are all the intersting stories about new ski brands, resorts we've never heard of, world cup skier profiles etc I think I may start my own snowHead
snow conditions
JimSearle wrote:
boabski,

I have noticed the cut and pastes too! Am seriously considering not buying it anymore, it seems to be turning into more of an advatorial rather than a snow sports magazine......where are all the intersting stories about new ski brands, resorts we've never heard of, world cup skier profiles etc I think I may start my own snowHead

I have bought it mainly for the competitions for the last couple of years. The content ihas been far too much like advertorials for some time now.

Fall Line is much better, to the extent tat I buy almost every edition, even though it rarely has any competitions Smile
snow conditions
alex_heney, JimSearle, Too right guys. I have already stopped my subscription to it and have started one with Fall Line, which does look much better
latest report
Nice article about Chemmy Alcott though. The opportunity to get to know various parts of her body was most satisfying and now I know how she keeps her breasts looking so good I feel complete!
latest report
The December issue of DMS&S is now in Cheltenham WHS. I never saw the November issue.
ski holidays
DMS&S used to do decent resort reviews and those '24 Hours In...' pieces but then again, they were all lifted from that annual book about resorts. Other than that, it's articles about Henry Duece going to far flung places that hardly anyone could afford to go in the first place...
ski holidays
I subscribe but will cancel. It's become a poor magazine.
snow conditions
Quote:

it seems to be turning into more of an advatorial rather than a snow sports magazine

It's always been an advertorial publication.

My ski magazine reading, these days, is "off-paste"
latest report
It seems to be worse this year than it was last for advertorial content (even the articles in the last issue I read have had 'advertorial' plastered all over the page...)
JimSearle wrote:
I think I may start my own snowHead
I keep having that idea too (I even keep researching printing costs...)

Everyone... What would your ideal ski magazine include?

Mine would have to include some stuff about ski racing (both FIS and within the UK - a bit of 'grassroots' stuff) and some original resort review content (actual features, not just a list of pros and cons bulletpoints about the lift system).
snow report
skisimon, myself, Admin and a few others had this idea (well, an on-line mag) the other year but it fizzled out.

The key issues about publishing a mag:

*Define your reader.
*Ascertain a gap in the market
*Advertising revenue stream
*Print numbers
*Distribution/wholesale network
*Printing costs
*Production costs
*Distribution costs

It's a great idea and I keep thinking about it using the knowledge I have from working in the publishing industry, but having the idea and making it reality are two totally different things.

The key thing for any magazine is finding a reliable distributor who will get you into the right shops at the right price. Want to go in a supermarket? Expect to pay £10,000+ for a one issue run in Tesco and that'll be in a limited number of stores (usually the rubbish ones). Also, you need to be thinking about your performance; if you sell 50% of the mags you print you are usually doing well. Any less than that though and you're on a road to ruin unless you have extortionately high advertising rates to cover it.

In the snowsports industry I'd hazard a guess that because of the places you have to travel to to get the editorial you'll need a massive budget for production each month that has to be funded by advertising. Corporate advertisers (Scott, Burton etc) will take some serious convincing about a new title, not only because of the current economy, but also because there's already a glut of magazines to fight over their (limited) cash.

Whether we think the DMS&S mag is any good is toally different to whether it's profitable – I expect it's very profitable thanks to the number of advertorials present and it doesn't actually need that many readers to run successfully.

Here is the 'official' sales figures for DMS&S according to the ABC:

http://www.abc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=nav/abc&noc=y

Considering the size of the snowsports market, 14,500 readers ain't a massive amount but at £4 a shot, that's £40,000 they're bring in just on news stand sales alone. Mind you, I bet the production costs are nearing that because of the paper stock and the editorial budgets. Adverts will bring in a far whack  – £1,000 to £1,500 per page maybe?

Subs is where it's at in magazines these days - instant readys that you can bank up and gain interest on.

As far as a magazine I'd like to read: resorts and how to get the trip you want; technique and gear; plus a few 'crazy' stories about nutty skiers and boarders would be just right... but then again that's what most of the mags provide anyway Smile

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 3-11-08 14:55; edited 2 times in total
snow report
"Active Snow" seems to be a new one this year. Quite good.
snow conditions
paulio wrote:
"Active Snow" seems to be a new one this year. Quite good.

But available free on-line:

http://www.snowmagazine.com/default.aspx

November issue:
http://viewer.zmags.co.uk/showmag.php?mid=wwrwdh#/page0/
snow report
When I subscribed to DMSS they messed up my freebies. (They didn't arrive). So I complained. I got a large parcel in the post containing

Rossi Ski bag
    Rossi Rucksack
    Sunnies
    Warren Smith DVD

I sold the first 2 on ebay for >the subscription cost.

Fallline's distribution is patchy.
latest report
skisimon wrote:
Mine would have to include some stuff about ski racing (both FIS and within the UK - a bit of 'grassroots' stuff) and some original resort review content (actual features, not just a list of pros and cons bulletpoints about the lift system).

You can get the racing content from Racer Ready, I can't see that there is the demand for another similar magazine.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy