Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half Term 2009/2010 - do you want the good news!

Poster: A snowHead
Everyone has the same week again!!!!! AAAAARRRGGHHHHH...........................

http://www.swtourism.co.uk/_assets/documents/support/school%20holidays%202009-2010.pdf

Why can't the UK be a little like Europe for the holidays! Another nigthmare Feb Half Term looms..
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowandtrek, much better that way - leaves rest of Feb free for the rest of us Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowandtrek, I have already had enquiries for 2010 half-term, that is obviously the reason why.

Jonpim, maybe, but there many negative comments on here about skiing in February due to French holidays etc.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
and easter is late too!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marcellus, but earlier than 2009. 5th April is Easter Monday.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, Helen Beaumont, you are quite right about French holidays being an important factor. Mine was just a silly unhelpful remark.

I don't mind all half terms coinciding: indeed I welcome it.
With both kids at different schools, and mum a teacher in a different teaching authority, the main worry each year is that the half term holidays will not coincide. Fortunately they do in 2009. In many years they have not. Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonpim, nothing silly or unhelpful about it at all. From my own point of view, I have skied in Feb outside of UK half-term and haven't found queues to be a problem.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's two years ahead... awhiles away!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowandtrek, Fantastic news, we all know which week to avoid and its only the one.

I can however feel sympathy for all the familes trying to get away that week and all the hassle involved in all aspects of the journey. Not having any of the little bra.. darlings ourselves we have always thought it polite to not take up any space over the half term, so allowing more room for the famlies in resort Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowandtrek,

The only website (that I know of, so I may wrong) that give school holiday up to 2 years in advance is ours

http://www.folgarida.co.uk/folgarida_Half_Term_Holidays_Dates_2010.htm

We are not taking bookings for 2009 New Year or 2010 Half Term as the flight slots have not yet been allocated by the CAA yet, so anyone who is taking bookings is also taking a "Big" risk. We will start taking booking for 2009/10 in around 6 weeks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wayne, I'm not taking bookings either, but I am getting enquiries, and many of my half-term people repeat book , so will get first refusal.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont,

Good idea
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wayne wrote:
[
We are not taking bookings for 2009 New Year or 2010 Half Term as the flight slots have not yet been allocated by the CAA yet, so anyone who is taking bookings is also taking a "Big" risk. We will start taking booking for 2009/10 in around 6 weeks.

Taking bookings, AND deposits, I'd suggest ... Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Puzzled

we are talking about new year 2009 (26th Dec 2009 departures) and half term 2010

Some people are, just meant that we are not. We have our hotels (6) booked, the lift passes arranged, ski school, equipment, etc, etc.

Just not accepting booking yet until the flights are sorted. I think this is what most reputable companies are doing, just waiting and seeing what goes on. Off course the larger companies with own planes are as they know the capacity all ready
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We will asalways be avoiding the holidays and off to Olympics in Vancouver - crowds of a different type!
snow report
Wayne, why the risk?
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
Wayne, why the risk?

We take around 27,500 people on trips each year (skiing makes up less that 14% of what we do). We have contracts with most major airlines (Qatar, BA, KLM, Air France, etc etc) for our trips and without flights there are no trips (for us anyway) so flights are very important to us and I think to most other tour operators who don't own planes.

The risks are that you will accept bookings and find that the charge you make to the client is not enough to cover the cost of the trip. Or, even worse, you find that you are losing money so you simply can not run the trip.

As the major airlines have not yet got their slots nor have they published timetables (and so can not generate even their own P & L account forecasts) how it is possible for you (or us) to know what the cost of the trip we are selling should be. The cost of the tickets is NOT worked out per plane but rather per slot (which hey have not got yet).

Of course most large carriers use forward purchasing for their fuel (they buy it at an agreed price not dependant of the cost of oil at the time of supply), but even this does not protect them entirely - and some of the b*st**ds still put up the cost of flights when the oil cost go up even though it does not affect them ???.

And as many people will know *** (name taken out by me so we don’t lose the contract) wink can not put up the cost of a ticket after it is contracted - but what they have done is to add a fuel supplement that is actually almost as much as the ticket (in other words like they “have” up’ed the cost). - If you had contracted your flight Ad Hoc then you may have sold your trip for less the cost of supply - QED, you’re bust.

Don’t think it just the National Carriers who do this. We all know of certain airlines that promise no fuel surcharges then charge you to check in at the airport. This is after they have charged for the hold baggage, which means you can not check in online anyway (is that legal Hmmmmm discuss).

Basically the risks are simple. Unless you “know” the cost of your supplies you can not possible know the amount to charge for sales and whatever you may have been told until the slot are given out your supplier can't know.

You can guess if you want. But …… Big Mistake

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 2-11-08 22:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
snowandtrek, Pefect! get's all the little devils out of the way at once? Why the AARRGGHHH?
snow report
marcellus wrote:
and easter is late too!!

easter 09/10 is a week ealier then 08/09
snow report
red 27, THe AARRGGGHHH is that instead of the holidays being spread over 2 weeks which puts less pressure on the ski schools, ski hire e.t.c. which in turn makes our life as a 'small' operator much easier. This seaon coming with there being only 1 week we have clients who have been unable to get the ski school they wanted not due to booking late but the ski schools are running at over capacity and so can offer less choice. I.e. most have no private lesoons in the morning and very few private lesson slots available.
ski holidays
just take your kids out of school no one cares about that any more do they..... wink
ski holidays
snowandtrek, Ah yes of course - not so good for you guys - all the better for us Punters wink
ski holidays
snowandtrek, thanks for the info [smug smiley]
2010 is the first year in the last 18 that we don't have to go in school holidays Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

2010 is the first year in the last 18 that we don't have to go in school holidays

You are indeed lucky then Nick L...

Whilst the kids are now out of education unfortunately for me my wife is not... and never will be as she's a teacher.... I've toyed with the idea of "taking her out of school" for a week but her Head Teacher is not really taking to the idea... Oh well.... another £3k down the drain for a £1500 holiday again this year then...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy