Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

les arcs 1950 v Soldeu

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
which of these is better for kids, everthing taken into acount ie ski school,weather etc

cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't have any experience of Les Arcs 1950 (well, any of Les Arcs actually). All I can comment on is Soldeu - have been a couple of times, once with my next door neighbours and their young son (he was about 10 at the time).

Soldeu has an enviable record for sunny days - but also has good snow. My two weeks there have been almost perfect - virtually every night it snowed, and virtually everyday has been beautiful blue skies.

The ski school is excellent, with a huge contingent of native English speaking instructors, most of which are excellent with kids. The year before we went to Soldeu, we went to Bulgaria, again with our neighbours and their son. In Bulgaria the son was allowed to ski with the adults in their ski school group. In Andorra they had H&S regs preventing young children sharing a group with adults (fair enough - it only takes one clumsy one-weeker to try and stop above the group, fall over and onto the kid to cause a painful injury). So, a very unhappy ten year old was separated from his mother and put in a group with other British kids of his own age*. He had a whale of a time! Plenty of fun with the rest of the group, a great instructor (it pains me to say it, as, if I recall correctly, he was an Aussie wink Laughing ). They've also got plenty of adventure areas for the kids ski groups to use to make it more interesting (Disney themed if I recall correctly).

*I very much like the idea of mixing up kids with other nationalities, but can see that this can cause huge social problems in the lessons if some of the kids can't communicate, or even if the group splits into two groups. Then of course the instructor's got to do it all in two languages (I was in such a group once in an adult lesson, but between my, fairly basic, French and the rest of the group's, frankly much better, English, we had a very enjoyable week! snowHead ).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skisimon wrote,
Quote:

mixing up kids with other nationalities, but can see that this can cause huge social problems

Is the BMSRC a branch of the BNP Puzzled wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lechbob, Laughing . (Although, I feel I must expand on this actually, here).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jase2472, I've been to both. I can't comment on the ski schools but the accommodation in Soldeu is strung along a main road. Arc 1950 is car free and has a family/children orientated feel. Arc 1950 also has 'family type' activities going on. It is also a shorter transfer (from Chambery) than Soldeu (from Toulouse).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not been to Les Arcs, but I have been to Soldeu with a 12-year old.
Ski school is excellent - it's so big that when kids are split by age, the spread of ages and ability can be very tight, and if they've mis-allocated someone then it's easy for them to shuffle over to another group.
Instructors are mostly native English speaking, and the few non-native speakers I heard were fine.
Top tip is that on the first morning, get to the Gondola queue an hour before it opens even if that means missing breakfast. That way you get up to Espiolets early and can go to the booking windows and get the lessons of your choice.
Another plus is that there aren't many black runs, so it doesn't appeal to dangerously fast speed-freaks - you don't risk near-misses every few seconds.
And the snow cannons and piste bashers do a great job.
Downside with Soldeu is that there's not a lot for younger kids in the evening. In fact I'm not sure I can think of anything. Bit of a mooch round the few shops, have a meal, watch telly, play a card game, sleep.
Transfer is long but not a show-stopper.
I'd definitely go back because the skiing and ski school are excellent.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are people commenting on Arc 1950, rather than 2000 or 1800 or 1600 because they think it is better for beginners?
I have never stayed in 2000 and 1950 (which is new) but I would agree that the skiing is probably more suitable for total beginners (and for more advanced/expert skiers). I don't know about ski schools but I should think the 1950/2000 area must be big enough by now to compete with the other two.
I would have thought the original "villages", 1600 and 1800, were a bit more village-like. Of course that is comparative, they have all been constructed from scratch up the hill from the old Villages and old town (Bourg St Maurice, the rail terminal). 2000 was a bit bleak and small (just one huge building, really, in the middle of nowhere with few shops or restaurants) but 1950, just below it looks nicer - less bleak and more spread-out - as viewed from lifts (I've never walked in it). As for facilities for children I have no idea how they compare now.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
soldeu good place to learn much like most of andorra. loads of Aussies and SA instructors. Les Arcs very ESF orientated when i was there (must be 7 years ago now tho!)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
empinky wrote:
Les Arcs very ESF orientated when i was there (must be 7 years ago now tho!)

There are good alternatives, including in Arc 1950. Spirit 1950 has a good reputation, a dynamic Head of Ski School and whenever I've seen their instructors their English seems pretty good (including a few who speak it as their first language).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball, people are commenting on 1950 because that's what the OP asked about!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Embarassed oops
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy