Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste Tracking Software for GPS enable mobile phone - Recommendation wanted

Poster: A snowHead
Last year at the ski show in Olympia there were several stands selling Piste tracking software for GPS mobiles. I hunted high and low this year at the ski show and not one of the stands was there.

I need the cd/dvd to load it onto my mobile and for me to sync where I have been with my laptop. if it showed the pistes, gradients, speed and distance - that would be a bonus.

Who does this software - which one is best.

thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.satski.com
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I haven't really looked into this all that much but i've always used the software that came on my nokia phone. However, this year i'll have an iphone and there are a plethora of apps out there that will log your speeds, distances etc. They may not be geared towards skiing but i would imagine that it basically does the same thing just without the bells and whistles.

I know my post was decidedly unhelpful but if anyone has had experience with iphone apps that do this sort of thing, perhaps they'd like to share?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You know I have been looking at either mobile phone software or a specific unit. I worry about turning on my phone and all those data charges! As you dont get 802.11 wireless access points on the slopes you need the data channel open all the time!

I have been looking at £199 for the "satski" product. Is this the sort of functionality you have been looking for?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tbanting wrote:
You know I have been looking at either mobile phone software or a specific unit. I worry about turning on my phone and all those data charges! As you dont get 802.11 wireless access points on the slopes you need the data channel open all the time!

Why?

What mobile phone do you have that it requires a data channel open for GPS?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well when I looked at SportsDo or SkiDo it does need a GPS signal but not a phone network signal. However, if you are using SportsDo Live then you will need a phone signal and GPRS service in the coverage area. The "Live" service transmits real-time performance information to the web.

I also have seen my iPhone will not allow the GPS to come on without internet access via a celluar data channel or wireless. This means international data charges for me on my call plan (O2) Worth trying on your mobile- turn on aircraft mode where it kills cell and wireless then try switching on GPS.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nokia sportstracker works fine for this. Overlay the results onto google earth or whatever you want.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
According to my iPhone downloads you can download these things relatively cheaply, ie £5 or so, BUT only works in USA so far
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
satski will be offering free maps for mobiles apparently. I ordered by Satski GPS with Val Thoren map today. Hope to get it early next week ready for mid-December. Going to Jackson Hole in Feb and also will be able to get the map for that.

If anyone is interested perhaps I can give a preview of the unit? Cost me around £200 direct.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How about a Nokia N95 with Sports Tracker?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
do satski do just the software for mobile phone - my mobile has gps and windows mobile - it is a pda touch screen phone.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Satski , Do mobile phone software and Stand alone GPS units , the Mobile phone downloads are cheaper than any other product , they include all live tracking and replay software and only cost 0.50 p to use in the alps on you phone per day ! Ithe sofware is downloaded and the GPS on your phone works independently - ! its interactive bet way to go is with mobile touch screen phone running wndows mobile chech their website for videos on software -cheaper to get an upgrade on your phone and download software than getting a new GPS unit though ! Free maps are starting to become available now and all you do is pay if you want to activate the fun bits like tracking and replays +++
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have been using Nokia Sports tracker for skiing last year, but i got this new Sportypal software that I tried last weekend and is not that bad. I chose freestyle mode and here are the results: http://www.sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/107437
I even wrote to this guys that are working on this software, and they response right away. That they are working on some new mode for this app just for skiing. That will show separately when i was on the Gondola,lift going up, and skiing down. I have Nokia N78, but it is available on every type of phone. So, while waiting for the guys to release this new feature for skiing that I hope will be also free, I'm out on the slopes SmileSmile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/124464 here is some skiing with sportypal, with the green color is when going up on the chairlift and blue down the slopes, with all the data recorded
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mangup, what's the red line?
ski holidays
I used Google's My Tracks (on Android) last week. It worked really well, apart from when it lost Sat reception.
snow report
The red line is where I reached max speed
snow conditions
Mangup,

Looked at the maps- That is seriously funky-great info.

I have 2 queries (borrowed from another post of mine previously posted b4 I saw this thread-apologies for repeat of themes)

-Do you think its worth all the hassle (& expense) of setting up & operating? i.e. will it give xyz co-ords for tracking, & say calling in a position for another skier or emergency situation? Is it useful & user friendly for recording routes, distances travelled, way points, etc, etc

-I have a Nokia E71 (and a Tom Tom One car sat nav) GPS receiver- will it work on either or both of them? (& which do you think might be best?)

Thanks for all advice
ski holidays
It should work on Nokia E71, i have Tom Tom One car, i like when I'm getting "lost" so I have to find my route to the civilization.
latest report
Is anyone aware of a tracker app that will work on GPS enabled blackberry? I've tried GPS tracker and LiveTracker, neither of which seem to work.
snow report
Thanks Mangup, just set on E-71 & looks good. I downloaded JAR file, what is the JAD file do you know??
ski holidays
I don't know, i downloaded directly on my phone, so i just pick my phone model and it was installed automatically. wink
latest report
Hialex_heney,

Some Mobile phones have proper GPS eg an O2 XDA (my wife has one, Win mobile). I have a Nokia N95 8Gb that has GPS but the satelite lock is CR*P. This is because it is aGPS (note the small "a") this is assisted GPS. They use the mobile masts to assist the triangulation. Unfortunately it is via the data bandwith in your contract. Sad

In the UK this is minimal, but renders the phone useless/ultra-expensive when abroad.

Cheers
Bob
ski holidays
glasgowcyclops wrote:
Hialex_heney,

Some Mobile phones have proper GPS eg an O2 XDA (my wife has one, Win mobile). I have a Nokia N95 8Gb that has GPS but the satelite lock is CR*P. This is because it is aGPS (note the small "a") this is assisted GPS. They use the mobile masts to assist the triangulation. Unfortunately it is via the data bandwith in your contract. Sad

In the UK this is minimal, but renders the phone useless/ultra-expensive when abroad.

Cheers
Bob

Not at all Bob, you can download the ephemeris data before you leave in the UK, and then update it occasionally from abroad.

From here, this explains it all very well

The recent introduction of assisted GPS (or AGPS) technology a few years back, has indeed confused alot of people, thinking that it's the LBS (location-based service) . The fact is AGPS is essentially still a GPS solution, with added technology to speed up the location acquisition fix process (commonly known as Time to First Fix, or TTFF), which has always been the most time consuming process of GPS.

Despite the recent introduction of sensitive GPS chipset such as SIRFIII, it doesn't improve the inherent TTFF challenge if you know how a fix acquisition happens. In order for a GPS receiver to triangulate one's position, it first must obtain a couple of data/information from the satellites, which broadcast this information for the receiver to download them. The first is almanac, which essentially documents all the available satellites and their basic information. Almanac usually are valid for a few months, so once you have your GPS receiver has received it, you will be spared from the time consuming process (of downloading the almanac), which can be more than 10 mins. The other data the receiver needs to download, is the ephemeris data, which is a more precise orbital path of the satellite, and the data usually last no more than 4 hours. Ephemeris data are broadcasted by the Satellite every 30 sec, over the duration of 30 sec. Not only the receiver needs a minimal signal strength to receive the data, the download process also must not be interrupted, otherwise the whole download must be repeated again. That's why it is always recommended that you should stay stationary (obviously only if the receiver is facing the open sky) during the TTFF process. When you have not used your receiver for more than 4 hours, this whole ephemeris data download process needs to happen, and that explains why the TTFF for cold start vs hot start is so different.

The assisted GPS technology, attempts to improve TTFF. It attempts to address two weak points. Firstly, the ephemeris data that's received from the satellite is only valid for 4 hours. The technology involves in projecting the orbital path of the satellite that could be valid for a few days, up to a maximum of 10 days. While the length of the validity usually implies a lesser accurate path, the technology is actually maturing and a 5-7 days of projected path is actually quite accurate. The time consuming part of the problem, is addressed by making the data available through internet. That's why some people confuse the download of such data as data from cell station.

This technology is available mostly in mobile devices, mainly because of the lack of GPS antenna, plus download of the ephemeris data is convenient in a mobile device. It was meant as a supplement, rather than a substitute, to the GPS chipset. A GPS chipset is still required, as long as you need a constant (every millisecond) tracking of one's precise (in terms of metres) position. There's no way you can achieve this just by cell station.

I hope this clears up the misconception of AGPS, and dismiss the myth that a AGPS is not a real GPS.
snow report
There are Blackberry apps but I don't know if any good
GPS piste maps Europe & berryski.com
snow report
Sorry with link this time
http://software.crackberry.com/product.asp?id=45343&n=BerrySki-Europe-%2D-2009%2D2010-Season-Pass-for-your-favourite-European-Ski-Resort-Complex-%28includes-nearby-resorts%29#

and
http://software.crackberry.com/product.asp?id=41663&n=BerrySki---GPS-Maps%2C-Track-%26-Analytics---2009-2010-Season-Pass-for-Any-Five-North-American-Resorts
snow conditions
Thanks for the correction kitenski,

Should have checked my facts first. I assumed I'd been told the truth because my N95 GPS wont get a satelite unless I use the aGPS.

Bizarrely, Min from Garmin (the other chap is Garry, hence GARry MIN = GARMIN) is my pal's uncle.

Off to get my downloads.

Thanks for the tip

cheers
bob
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy