Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

January in Mayrhofen

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My wife and I are looking for a week-long break in January.

I've been looking on Crystal Ski and they have some pretty good deals on in Mayrhofen.

Firstly, I've never been to Mayrhofen and usually ski in St Anton. How does it compare? What's the place like?

Secondly, can I trust Crystal Ski and their bargains, or would I really be paying for what I got?!! Having stayed in sh*t-tips in places like Alpe d'Huez on a holiday I booked through Igluski, I am wary of cheap accomodation.

All opinions would be more than helpful!

Cheers,

Phil
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pallen, welcome to Snow Heads if you haven't been already snowHead I have not skied St Anton, but someone will be alone soon who has done both and can offer a comparison. I HAVE skied in Mayrhofen though and although you have to go up to the skiing (there are no village level runs) it good once you are there.

The resort is typically Austrian with great nightlife and if you like that kind of thing, you'll have a ball! The TO bargain prices may be in Snow Homes (pensions or B&B) a bit out of the village, so if you have a name of somewhere you are considering, tell us and someone may know it. I've had good accommodation with Crystal, and not so good, but if the quality of where you stay is a big deal to you, it may be worth considering paying a bit more, knowing where you are going and getting a better standard. Last minute allocation-on-arrival can go either way Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pallen, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead

Since you usually ski in St Anton I expect you are a fairly competent skier, in which case it is well worth your while getting the Super Zillertal skipass which covers the entire Ziller valley. As well as skiing at Mayrhofen there are also extensive ski areas at Zell am Ziller and (my favourite) Kaltenbach/Hochfugen. Use of the Zillertalbahn narrow gauge railway which runs along the valley up to Mayrhofen is included in the Super Zillertal lift pass (as well as ski busses) and provides an easy way of getting from Mayrhofen to Zell am Ziller and Kaltenbach.

There are several other threads on here discussing Mayrhofen and the Zillertal, eg this
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pallen, I haven't skied St Anton, but have skied in the Zillertal. Your lift pas will give you access to all the ski areas in the Zillertal (you don't really have any choice in the matter, the local area passes are not available for more than three days, and it would cost more than the whole area six day pass to buy two three day local ones).

There is certainly a lot of skiing in the area as a whole, but it is split into three main areas not linked to each other, plus a few smaller unlinked areas.

And I have had very good bargains with Crystal on several occasions. Half the brochure price sometimes. But I have always booked named accommodation.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pallen, I've never been with Crystal Ski so don't know anything about that. But have skiied both St Anton and Mayrhofen. They both have incredible skiing areas and great snow records. The most annoying thing about Mayrhofen is the cable car at the beginning and end of the day, it gets massive queues. One way to get round that is to sit in a bar at the top and enjoy a few beers before coming down, the queue does eventually go Very Happy

both have a full on europop apres scene going on if that's what you're after!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As Pallen mentioned, I have also heard about the cable car at the beginning and end of the day.
Is there anyway around the line like getting there early or riding up the Horbergbahn from schwendau?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The cable car to the Penken isn't as bad as people make out . Sure there can be queues but it has improved a lot in recent years. You just have to time it right.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fijit, It's not a cable car, it's a Gondola! Toofy Grin And the queues really aren't terrible, just make sure you time yourself either side of the ski school rush. Once you're up the hill the lifts are mostly fast detachables.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy