Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yad Moss and Weardale, North Pennines

Poster: A snowHead
Both webcams are showing a thin cover. However radar is indicating further showers may reach the ski slopes this afternoon. If they do and there is a little bit more build up then we could be skiing tomorrow. snowHead

Can anyone see the Cheviots today? Must be quite a good cover cover up there right now ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter S, it sleet at low levels (Gateshead) so it will be snow above Consett.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We're hopeful of running the the tow at Yadmoss tomorrow.

So if anyone wants some early season turns and isn't too bothered about thin grassy conditions, come and ski with us tommorrow !

http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/snowreport.php
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wahooo, we skiied yesterday, the earliest I've ever had I think !

Four inches of snow provided a reasonable overall cover at Yad Moss. Unfortunately in the morning it was very wet and sticky but once pisted down it took an edge OK. After about 12:30 things began to speed up considerably as the snow dried out and started to refreeze. By 2pm the runs were very fast, assisted by a moderate north easterly wind.

We only had about 10 skiers all day so no queues. We had one minor problem in the morning when a poma got wrapped around the cable. Fortunately we were able to stop the tow and untangle it before it got wrapped around a wheel as well and prevented any serious damage.

There were some nice people up there today and some very good skiers. Special mention however goes to the couple who travelled up from Guildford Shocked just to ski Pennine snow. Top effort. snowHead

pics and video courtesy of 'Gordie' and winterhighland.com

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,1111

http://uk.youtube.com/v/kqsqh1MGdgc
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter S,

Top effort. Fantastic video snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yad Moss membership applied for and i will be skiing there asap.This has to be great value at £30 for an adult season lift pass.

Having a 2 wheel drive car i have ordered a set of Auto Socks for my drive wheels which should help me out in the wintry UK hills.

Here's a Cool link.

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/autosock/?gclid=CIXYudHY1JYCFQeO1QodQHx83g

Top effort to those turned out and especially to the couple who made the long trek from Guildford. Real Yad 'Moss Troopers' Laughing

I couldn't get out of my weekend obligations or i would have been there. Sad

I will be watching the Snow forecasts like a hawk. Madeye-Smiley

Rob
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter S, Brilliant - well done Yad Moss! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter S, Shame I was working Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What is the best access route to Yad Moss with a non 4x4 car Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi,

When we used to go skiing there we used to drive from Barnard Castle way ( scotch corner on the A1) BUT the roads always seemed clearer from Alston way!!
The road the lift is on is cleared by 2 counties -Durham and Cumbria but the Alston way ( Cumbria) used to be cleared much better. That might has changed now!!

Take a shovel in your car plus blankets,food,etc in case you do get stuck which can happen.

By the way snow chains would have been cheaper and better in the snow I have heard the socks don't work very well and here in snowy Austria have never seen then on any cars.

Nigel
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter_S, Top vid.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Must give it a try this year, if people are making the effort to come from as far a field as Guilford & Loughborough.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
great vid, must make the effort from newcastle
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
djfletcher wrote:
Hi,

When we used to go skiing there we used to drive from Barnard Castle way ( scotch corner on the A1) BUT the roads always seemed clearer from Alston way!!
The road the lift is on is cleared by 2 counties -Durham and Cumbria but the Alston way ( Cumbria) used to be cleared much better. That might has changed now!!

Take a shovel in your car plus blankets,food,etc in case you do get stuck which can happen.

By the way snow chains would have been cheaper and better in the snow I have heard the socks don't work very well and here in snowy Austria have never seen then on any cars.
Nigel

I got the Auto Socks as i have (225/40/R18 low profile tyre) 18"wheels.
Is it a better access route to Yad Moss to drive from Carlisle or Penrith if coming north up the M6?

Rob.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cc_7up, Considerably shorter to go from Penrith on the A686 (Hartside) to Yad Moss (approx 25 miles - 45 min), than it would be to carry on up the M6 to Carlisle then across (approx 50 mile 80min), however if the conditions are bad, then the route over Hartside can be blocked. The Carlisle route is at a lower level, and does get cleared first.
If you were coming up the M6 anyway, you can pull of at Jn40, 1mile up the A66, at the next roundabout, the info sign would tell you if the road was passable or not, so not a big inconvenience to then rejoin the M6
ski holidays
ok, thanks for the M6 north bound info.

How viable in comparison is the route coming from the A68 at Crook towards Alston and then to Yad Moss?
ski holidays
If coming from the South up the A1 take the A66 west at Scotch Corner and then follow the B6277 - Barnard Castle/ Middleton in Teesdale/ Alston.

From Crook you would go up Weardale and over the top to Nenthead and then Alston but that means going over the highest road pass in England at 2000', which might be problematic on a snowy day!
A better way might be to head south to Middleton and then up the B6277.

Alternatively why not ski with our friends at Weardale ski club, just up the road from Crook snowHead
snow conditions
I would like to ski at all of Englands ski 'resorts'

snowHead
ski holidays
Is it open on in the morning (sunday)
snow conditions
Well it looks like we are going to get something this week, just depends on how effective the Yad Moss snow deflector system is snowHead

North westerly winds may suit Weardale and Raise better though.

We're on standby !
snow report
Quote:

I would like to ski at all of Englands ski 'resorts'

Me too. Have been to Weardale (not a bad slope actually but the drive there & back was terrifying - ice all the way there, blizzard on Alston Moor in the dark on the way back) and Raise (great walk in & great people but a long way for a short tow) but not made it to Yad Moss yet. Have to go home and visit the folks this weekend Sad They live an hour from the Lecht Smile
snow conditions
Is Yad Moss (conditions allowing) open on Saturdays and Sundays only ?
ski holidays
If the weather forecast is right, and if you can access the ski areas, everything in Britain should be able to open this weekend. Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, I only wish all my skis weren't in France, I do have some boots here (my old comfy purple ones) but no good without the planks. We had a couple of cm's this morning.
latest report
Quote:

Is Yad Moss (conditions allowing) open on Saturdays and Sundays only ?

No, we try and run whenever there is skiable snow but it is dependent on the availability of some key volunteers.

We're keeping an eye on the situation tommorrow. Ring the snow line or visit the website for the latest information.

http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/snowreport.php
snow report
Helen Beaumont, that's what ebay is for!
snow conditions
And the roofbox we'l have on the car next month. I could always bring the Saphirs home. wink
ski holidays
Can anyone recommend a b&b (not far from a pub) local to Yad Moss that caters for single skiers please?

Rob
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yad Moss ran today although it wasn't really intended to !

Conditions are skiable but still a bit thin. The drifts have been pushed out and towards the end of the day the snow which was quite saturated, started to freeze. It should continue to freeze over night and the tow will run tomorow.

[www.yadmoss.co.uk]

Fingers crossed that conditions will hold out for Saturday.

MWIS are forecasting snow showers in the Pennines above 600m which would be helpful.
snow report
cc 7 Up

This may be worth a try. We've not stayed there but have called in for a drink and it seems a nice place.

It's in a lovely (remote) spot and is about 10 minutes drive from the skiing (if I remember correctly).

The skiing is in the middle of nowhere and this is as near to it as you can stay.

http://www.langdonbeckhotel.com/

Good luck.
snow conditions
As usual, I've only just seen this, and the video from a month ago - Wow! Very Happy
ski holidays
Jerry, It's not that far for you to drive up here either, couple of hours and you could be enjoying the slopes.
snow conditions
Yad Moss, Weardale and I assume Raise were operational today. This is the report from Yad Moss:

5th December - The tow has been operating today, 60 or so people enjoyed a reasonable day's skiing and it is intended to operate the tow on Saturday from approx 10 a.m. Cold temperatures are expected overnight, as long as the forecast holds true we expect similar conditions tomorrow. Drifts beside the snow fences - especially the tow line - have been spread around, but conditions remain thin in places.

Anyone going up to YM, Raise or Weardale tomorrow ? snowHead
latest report
I skied at Yad Moss for the first time yesterday.

The skiing conditions were not at their best with the icy snow and grass sharing equal proportions.The poma tow is not an experience that a learner would relish as it launches you about 10 feet before your ski-s hit the ground(i didn't fancy trying it on a Monoski this time).
The inititial uphill hike from the roadside c/w equipment,etc gets you 'warmed up' and breathing right enough though.
This is skiing which is back to the basics supported by real enthusiasts and for the visiting skiers spoiled by mega resort standards (as i am) it will come as a shock to the system however, there is an appeal to English ski 'resorts' (given the right snow conditions) that makes for a refreshing change away from the ever increasing rip off resorts worldwide and a good way to ski on snow in England.The ski area seems to benefit from snow coming from a North easterly direction.

I can recommend the 'Victoria Inn' ( tel - 01434381194) in ALSTON if you want a B&B.

I will be back again.

Rob

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 6-12-08 16:23; edited 3 times in total
snow report
Langdon beck is good for Yad Moss, you'll also pass the Harwood ski area on the way - worth walking up to see Pennine Skiing as it used to be. Personally I dont miss the rope tows, car innertubes for hand grips and buttons on dogleashes to sit on.

Teesdale ski club used to be on a hill behind the hotel. The club hut and parts of the tow are still there. The hotel used to have some pictures of the club from the 70's not sure if there still there.

Just downt the road is the Langdon Beck YHA, I think there is also a YHA in Alston.

Good to see people are still finding the English club fields and enjoying them. Even though its all looking a bit thin I'm still thinking I picked the wrong weekend to go down south.
snow report
A really good day at Yad Moss on Saturday with more skiing again today. snowHead

Probably about 60 skiers, including lots of children but no queues. The snow had frozen overnight and the surface conditions were excellent, if a little thin in places. Three of the main runs were skiable and a huge kicker has been built near the top.

The weather on Saturday was just fabulous. Sorry no pics !

It sounds as though all five English centres are open wih some particularly good conditions at Raise. Laughing

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,1138
snow report
Superb, thanks for sharing that with us snowHead
latest report
A great weekend overall for English skiing. We had nearly 100 skiers and boarders at Yad Moss yesterday.

Assuming a similar number at Weardale and say 50 more at Raise and 20 each at Harwood and Allenheads, that would make nearly 300 people enjoying lift served snow sports in northern England yesterday. Say 500 skier days over the weekend or perhaps 600 if you include Friday. Thats an awful lot of happiness Laughing

Some people have already enjoyed 5 days local skiing since November and its still only the 8th December ! Thats almost a holidays worth of skiing time snowHead snowHead
snow report
SKI ENGLAND REPORTS:

Sat 6.12.08 - Yad Moss: Only went up for the last hour and a bit. Virtually deserted, blue sky, generally hardpacked - great wide cover at the top, thinner lower down. Last one off the hill as the sun set over the Pennines.Excellent -and certainly better (and cheaper at £15) than Xscape!

Sun 7.12.08 - Weardale: PM session. Cover very thin - in places possibly the absolute minimum cover needed for skiing - with about half an inch of snow & grass and reeds aplenty! Not very busy and no queues. Weather pretty bad at times - fog and wind strengthening throughout the day. Still great fun though and a good time had by all!! The descent back to the car from the "daylodge" was particularly interesting in the gathering gloom of dusk....felt like a wilderness ski tour. A bargain £10 (reduced from their usual £15) - and, like Yad Moss, passed the Xscape acid test with flying colours.

Maybe I'm very easily pleased - snow, any hillside and any uplift will do - but a great couple of bonus days skiing overall.
snow report
Just seen the pictures on the Carlisle ski club website - just what is the deal with that and yadmoss one? Cover looked a lot better at the top of the tow than it seemed on the website.

Seen some pics of the Dodds on flickr with Raise in the background - conditions looked great. Definately doesnt look like December. 2008 must go down as the best Lakes year for ages.

Over at weardale - how did the new snow fencing at the top of F2 hold the snow? Unfortunately, as with last winter spring it seems the weather came the wrong way for Weardale's north facing slopes.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy