Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Big new snowfalls in Europe

Poster: A snowHead
Fredi Krummenacher just sent me this photo of 40cm new snow in Engelberg village.
Anyone got news of depths in other places?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 31-10-08 11:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.gde-engelberg.ch/de/portrait/fotoalbum/?action=showgallery&galid=4117

Here are more pictures 42cm in the town, off this weekend to have a look around
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
this is our back garden in Chatel yesterday. our first tracks of the season. we had so much fun Very Happy

http://www.alpineretreat-chatel.co.uk/fresh-tracks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
is the Fohn still coming to wipe it all out this weekend??
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, looks like it, I'm afraid. OTOH we still have some goodly snow cover today here at 640m
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, yeah, it's really cold at the moment but I've heard that too Sad at least we managed to have a bit of fun while it's here!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, Yes.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In my ignorance could somebody please explain to me what is a Fohn?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Christopher, it's a warm wind that basically melts the snow. most mountain ranges have them with various names and in the Alps it's Foehn
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Christopher, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foehn_wind
latest report
 brian
brian
Foehn is the German word for a hairdryer, which sadly tells you all you need to know about its effects. Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, Thank you very much for the link.

That made me rather upset.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In this valley it is known as the Serre Alex Ferguson!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chris, ha ha
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chris, Laughing Laughing
Christopher, don't worry too much about it, it is not an uncommon event. It comes, it goes, and it will snow again.
snow report
brian, i never knew foehn was the German word for hairdryer, thanks for that nugget of information. Makes sense now
ski holidays
 brian
brian
fijit, je vous en prie. Little Angel
ski holidays
It looks like Western Switzerland and Southern Germany got battered with 30 - 100cm of freshies this week and today.

France got 5 - 50cm.

Italy got about the same.

Austria got little.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
From SLF (the Swiss Snow and Avalanche service):

Quote:

Since the onset of this period of precipitation on Tuesday, the following amounts of new snow have been recorded, although in southern regions these amounts do not begin until approximately 2500 m altitude: Main Alpine Ridge from the Simplon region to the Bernina Pass and the north and south border regions thereof, 80 to 120 cm; remaining parts of the Valais, of the western and central parts of the northern flank of the Alps and of the Engadine, 30 to 60 cm; elsewhere about 15 to 30 cm.

.... or in a picture (this is the depth at 2000m):

ski holidays
brian, and guess who is going to Zermatt in a few days.. wink Twisted Evil
latest report
Just out of interest, would they start pisteing this in resorts now , or is it too early?
latest report
noggy wrote:
Just out of interest, would they start pisteing this in resorts now , or is it too early?

They will piste to stop snow blowing & to compact the base. This is normal in all commercail ski areas.
snow conditions
In terms of the Fohn in the Alps it is mild air from the Mediterranean & African regions.
ski holidays
I was in Engelberg early November 2005 and it look like this

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/1383/ppuser/80

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/1381/ppuser/80
latest report
noggy, check out Metalhead's pics ,in Snow Reports, from Baqueira in the Spanish Pyrenees....they're pisting and he's messing with my head talking about getting in some turns next weekend after the next big dump has settled!! Crying or Very sad we have 2cm but MikePow in Hokkaido has reported 40cm snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT, when are you going to Zermatt? A friend and I are planning to catch a long weekend from the 8th to the 10th Nov somewhere where there's good snow, and Zermatt is on the list.

snowball, would you be able / interested to join Costin and me on a season-opening trip?
ski holidays
horizon, No, bug.. I am not going but friend is...they are going to the ski test and this weather might just be the bonus.. I think they may be back then so I could get an upto date report..

I am going to Tignes on the 10th Dec... as they open on the 29th Nov..should be quite a few peeps there then
snow conditions
 brian
brian
JT, ski test ? Tell her she's got enough already ! wink Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Murren (1650m) had over 50cms but Mr Fohn is there now...so say goodbye !

taken by stab http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/14371
latest report
horizon, thank you I'd love to but I really can't. I've already booked 3 1/2 weeks and will probably manage a sneaky weekend in Scotland too, near the end of season, so I'm already severely stretching my agreement with Cathy. If I tried for more she wouldn't stand for it.
I look forward to seeing you in the Dolomites.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 1-11-08 11:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
brian,

what is the bet for another pair.. She'll be storing them at your house soon.. Laughing
ski holidays
Athens is +25 today and slight overcast. No snow nearby. snowHead

BTW, Finnish Lapland is under a snowcover now - some of the larger ski centres are open.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy