Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

la rosiere 1850 in december

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
thinking of going for a week in rosiere 13th december i hqve looked at last years snow record and it looks ok any one ever been early to the resort ? is it ok? good snow etc. any feedback would be great thank you .
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andybabes, early last year was good virtually everywhere, the year before was dreadful. La ros had one run back down about 15ft wide of cannoned snow! (we got phoned by some friends who had gone on our recommendation!) there do seem to be quite a few snow guns now. We went for a day early season about 5 years ago and it was fine, the link to italy was shut, which was a pain. (apart from that have been a few times at various times during the season) The place does get a lot of snow, but it also tends to be very windy and very sunny. You are in the hands of the snow gods. (and all the la ros fans and those not so keen on it here....there is a bit of a reputation.!)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 31-10-08 11:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carroz wrote:
... there seem to be quite a few snow guns now.

I though La Ros had relatively few snow cannons?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
carroz, I was out there for the first week that year. Half the problem was that the mayor had decided not to run the cannons the week before xmas and so with a whole bunch of people there in the first week, it devastated what little had already fallen. They only started running the cannons on the thursday so it was too late by then. I imagine they've learnt from the mistake rolling eyes

andybabes, You should be ok, even if the resort level is bad, you have La Thuile and the col in between which had good conditions even in the bad year.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When we first went 12 years ago there did not seem to be any snow guns, la thuile had quite a few, but la ros not many at all.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I counted 3 cannons last year and none in les Eucherts.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, all changed now, there's been a major investment in snow-making equipment over the summer.andybabes, I wouldn't worry, the resort has never failed to open on its stated date, always around the second week of December, this year it's the 13th Dec. There's always masses of snow on the col but because La Rosiere is higher and rockier than La Thuile, a greater depth is required before the piste-bashers can work, the lift company won't bash the pistes unless there's at least 40cms.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andybabes,
We went once for the first week of the season. 15th Dec 2001. The resort did not open that day (sorry David L), although it did partially open by about the Tuesday. It's early, so it's risky (but probably cheaper). The first half of that week we skied mostly at Tignes, on and just below the glacier. I got it down to about 45 minutes, using a shortcut I was given (and no need for snowchains that year). Later we skied la Ros, but the runs were limited.

End of December 2006 we were indeed skiing on small strips of snow painted on the slope, and then they closed the runs above la Ros and les Eucherts meaning we all had to 'queue' for skibuses to take us back to town from the main road. The col was skiable, though.

Then it snowed for 36 hours and we had a ball.

I think la Rosière stands as much chance of snow as pretty much any resort that early in the season, but you do have the fall-back options of Tignes and Paradiski nearby. It just depends on the snowgods. We'll be there Boxing Day, anyway.

David
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DJ, I was there that season and we skied on opening day, 2006 was a particularly bad year for all the Tarentaise resorts as it was for just about everywhere. The lift company did a really good job managing what snow there was and it was a major effort to clear the col of snow to enable the navettes to drive up to the snow line, none of our guests had any problems skiing to and from Italy or getting back to the resort but I guess that's the advantage of ski-hosting. La Rosiere stands a better chance of getting early than other nearby resorts because of the proximity of Mont Blanc and the micro-climate it creates:
"This modern resort sits at an elevated position at the end of the long Tarentaise valley which runs roughly SW-NE. Both the village and the ski area are open to the storms from the West and South West that are funneled into the Tarentaise valley. La Rosiere receives the full energy of these storms and gets more snow than, for example, nearby Val d'Isere at the same altitude".
Not my words but a quote from 'Where to ski and snowboard guide'
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David L wrote:
DJ, I was there that season and we skied on opening day....

Well done you rolling eyes . It was shut when I was there - or maybe my memory's going. Thanks for validating the rest of my post, though, albeit in a slightly combative tone!

DJ
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy