Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Very Cool Doug Coombes video

Poster: A snowHead
If you liked "Steep" have a look at this 15 minute ski mountaineering video

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=8687206
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret, thanks for that. I'm grateful for my fear of heights, for I know I'll never have to do that to get my kicks! Sad too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
WOW!!!!

my respect for coombs grows each time i see new footage of what he (and those he skied with) was capable off. guts, technique, adventure... amazing.

rip.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret,

Great clip, thanks
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
just watched it. sweeeet.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Has any one got that Doug Coombs thing of him waxing his skis and showing people how to do it?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.thesnaz.com/2006/02/20/doug-coombs-the-quick-and-painless-ski-tune/

That should work.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OMG. Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'm sorry. That's not skiing. That's...well...just simply insane...

"Make a mistake and it's a closed casket funeral". Indeed.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gorilla, thanks for that, potentially the coolest thing in the world, who needs all this hotboxing-spyderjoning madeness wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i would be rigid with fear just standing on the top of the mountain they were on... I get scared witless on easy traverses and any sort of ridges. how people actually enjoy climbing and skiing that sort of stuff is beyond me but fun to watch...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Beautiful film and location. The climbing looked lovely; technically easy but all the front pointing is sure hard on the calf muscles. And the abbed descent is where you need to know your ropework... they are surprisingly easy to mess up and have a rope jammed above you as you pull them down.

I can only look at the skiing and wish I had a miniscule ammount of that talent.... right.... must work on jump turns Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gorilla, My sort of ski tuning Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
david@mediacopy, I think that's the kind of thing you can do when K2 will give you as many skis as you can thrash. I love the way he's so casual about it though - weather's always wrong, use both waxes.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
An absolute legend a joy to watch him and a sad loss to the ski world. Dont think I would be brave enough to service my skis like that as I have to pay for my own
snow conditions
How do they get the hardware down after they've rapelled down? Or do they just leve it there? and also, I know he died a while ago but was never sure how Coombes actually died. Avalanche?
snow conditions
el nombre,

I suspect they were prepared to leave a little bit up there... like crabs, screws, slings..depends how they secured themselves. You wouldn't want to throw that stuff away, but it isn't that expensive

He died in Le Grave looking for a friend who went over onto rocks..he went down to look and slipped....so they say..
snow conditions
el nombre, Full story is here but here is a snipit. Jist is that he was not thinking straight as it was a friend of his in danger and let his concentration lapse.

http://www.powdermag.com/features/news/doug-coombs/

Coombs was one of four skiers, all Americans, descending the Couloir de Polichinelle, a steep chute that winds through cliffs and ends in a 200-foot drop, Smart said. To avoid the last cliff, skiers must traverse to the left at the bottom and exit via another chute, said Smart, who skied the Couloir de Polichinelle on Tuesday and inspected the scene of the accident. VanderHam went first and disappeared from sight. Coombs skied next, saw that VanderHam had fallen over the cliff and yelled to the other two skiers above - Matt Farmer and Christina Bloomquist - to bring a rope.

"Doug skied down to the edge of the cliff and was sidestepping down on some rocks, to try to get a view of Chad, and Matt Farmer saw him slip a little bit," Smart said.

"He was down on rock slab and wasn't able to reset an edge because it was all rock slab below him," Smart said.

Some snow covered the rock where Coombs likely slipped. "He lost his edge when he was peering over the lip, trying to get a view of Chad," Smart said.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy