Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites/Sella Ronda-Snow Report 2008/09

Poster: A snowHead
luigi wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
Plake wrote:
Quote:

needless to say, avalanche risk is very high

Don't want to be a miseryguts but with these kind of snow falls is there now a risk of serious avalanches (ie galtur/chamonix style ones threatening buildings)? I think it would be a good thing if the weather stabilised for a couple of weeks before the christmas/new year rush, or there could be big trouble in italy....

Not such an issue in the Val Gardena valley thanks to the topography.

Do you mean because the villages are surrounded by woods (Selva means 'forest' in Italian), and the peaks are vertical cliffs so snow doesn't accumulate there? So Galtur-style 45 degrees open slopes from peak to village with no trees in between doesn't exist?

Yeah, topography. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Packing to go tomorrow, the Missus has just pulled out 440 Euros cash bought last October!! Very Happy I love her!!. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mollerski wrote:
luigi wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
Plake wrote:
Quote:

needless to say, avalanche risk is very high

Don't want to be a miseryguts but with these kind of snow falls is there now a risk of serious avalanches (ie galtur/chamonix style ones threatening buildings)? I think it would be a good thing if the weather stabilised for a couple of weeks before the christmas/new year rush, or there could be big trouble in italy....

Not such an issue in the Val Gardena valley thanks to the topography.

Do you mean because the villages are surrounded by woods (Selva means 'forest' in Italian), and the peaks are vertical cliffs so snow doesn't accumulate there? So Galtur-style 45 degrees open slopes from peak to village with no trees in between doesn't exist?

Yeah, topography. rolling eyes

The description of the particular topography of Val Gardena was mostly for the benefit of Plake, but thanks for the confirmation.

Enjoy your hols, now you've got some spending money! Going green snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Will it ever stop snowing in the Dolomites? snowHead

It doesn't seem so in the short term at least, snowfalls of 100cm+ recorded across the region for Wed-Fri, a bit of respite this weekend with 10cm here and there, but then it starts again tomorrow Monday 14th with 20-40cm forecast and Tuesday with 30-60cm predicted.

Avalanche danger will remain until this snow stabilises into a snowpack that will hopefully remain as a base for the rest of the season.

Thankfully due to their easterly location and relatively high altitude, Dolomite resorts tend to conserve their snow well, but I'm sure more will be needed throughout the season to keep the piste surface fresh.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
luigi,

Still a great start to the season. I always thought the Dolomites were relatively dry
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
luigi wrote:

Thankfully due to their easterly location and relatively high altitude, Dolomite resorts tend to conserve their snow well, but I'm sure more will be needed throughout the season to keep the piste surface fresh.

The dolomites tend to offer good piste skiing even if hardly any snow has fallen. So I'm sure they'll offer good skiing for the rest of the season even if there are no snow falls any more (which IMHO is not very likely) and even if the temperatures rise. I'm there at the end of Februay, I wish I was there now...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy, you're right, so you might have hit the jackpot ths year! snowHead

The snow depths now are considerably greater than they ever got all last season!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bart_bdv, do you think we are likely to see a foehn episode in the Dolomites like you were describing on the 3V thread?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
luigi wrote:
bart_bdv, do you think we are likely to see a foehn episode in the Dolomites like you were describing on the 3V thread?

Well a föhn episode can certainly also happen in the dolomites (northföhn instead of southföhn) but it's not on the weather maps for the moment. Even if it happens the impact will probably not be as big as it was in the 3V. In general the dolomites skiing is more low lying and more sheltered with tree skiing. Some areas on the Sella Ronda (Grödner Joch, Col Rodello and Belvedere) are more vulnerable. You often see that snow off piste has been blown away there, but it doesn't seem to affect the pistes too much. Also chances are high that there will be a warmer period before, which humidifies the snow and while refreezing at night makes it a solid snow pack. The problem of the 3V today was that it has been very cold lately, which means the snows is still powdery from bottom up making it an easy prey for the wind...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I found this recent report from the Sella Ronda with some excellent photos of the green (anti-clockwise) route with side trips up the Marmolada & Edelweiss Valley, it dates from last week before the most recent storm and is in German, but the pictures speak for themselves:

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=29190
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
luigi,

Stunning snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
luigi, this one is simply stunning...

i really need to visit the dolomites

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some resorts are reporting 10-30cm of snow yesterday. Weather still remains unsettled in the Dolomites with 10-15cm snow forecast today and sprinklings tomorrow. The more intense activity today seems to be confining itself to the Pre-Alps foothills and Venetian Plain to the south of the Dolomites.

I can't get any definitive figures of exactly how much has fallen since last Wed, I've lost count, but it seems to have snowed practically every day, must be around 1m across most of the region with the heaviest falls in the more southerly areas, hence the blanket level 4 avalanche risk.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hello everyone, just joined up! Very Happy

I'm off (with wife and son) to Val di Fassa on the 27th - can't believe how much snow has been falling. It would take a heatwave to melt that base now!

This will be our second time there, after our first visit last year. One of the best kept secrets in the Alps I reckon. Those pics from the other forum have both brought back memories and whetted my appetite for this year! Our day from Canazei to Marmolada and back last year is one of my best day's skiing in 20 years (showing my age! Confused )

All i need now is for the weather to settle next week and then lovely sunshine for the week after Cool

All the best

Steve M
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
smich, welcome to snowHeads, nice to have another Dolomites convert on board! snowHead

Enjoy your hols, with all that snow it should be excellent, hope you get your wish for some sunshine too. Cool

Let us know how it was when you get back, there's no substitute for 'on the ground' reporting.
snow conditions
luigi, Hi and thanks for the welcome. Will certainly let everyone know how we got on.

The webcams look excellent again this morning, hard to tell if it's windy though. I see reports of very high winds in France.

Steve M
snow report
bart_bdv wrote:
luigi wrote:

Well a föhn episode can certainly also happen in the dolomites (northföhn instead of southföhn) but it's not on the weather maps for the moment. Even if it happens the impact will probably not be as big as it was in the 3V. In general the dolomites skiing is more low lying and more sheltered with tree skiing. Some areas on the Sella Ronda (Grödner Joch, Col Rodello and Belvedere) are more vulnerable. You often see that snow off piste has been blown away there, but it doesn't seem to affect the pistes too much. Also chances are high that there will be a warmer period before, which humidifies the snow and while refreezing at night makes it a solid snow pack. The problem of the 3V today was that it has been very cold lately, which means the snows is still powdery from bottom up making it an easy prey for the wind...

Forecasts are mentioning a northerly flow with the F-word affecting the valleys over the next few days. Not sure whether this is just the lower valleys or the higher ones where the resorts are located. I don't suppose it's good for snow, but hopefully not disastrous. Anyone got any ideas? bart_bdv?
snow conditions
luigi wrote:
bart_bdv wrote:
luigi wrote:

Forecasts are mentioning a northerly flow with the F-word affecting the valleys over the next few days. Not sure whether this is just the lower valleys or the higher ones where the resorts are located. I don't suppose it's good for snow, but hopefully not disastrous. Anyone got any ideas? bart_bdv?

I was a bit too fast and there is indeed nordföhn predicted now. However, for thursday winds of 30-50km/h and friday 50-80km/h at 3000m doesn't sound dramatic. Sure some snow will be blown especially at higher altitude but not like what happened this weekend in France and Switserland (record winds of 250km/h measured in switserland!). THere is so much snow now that I can't see this as a problem, temperatures will also remain reasonably low. It could increase the avalanche danger though.
snow conditions
bart_bdv, the news isn't too bad then! Very Happy

Is it the wind speed, the dryness or the temperature increase that makes the Foehn potentially destructive?

Is a northerly Foehn in South Tyrol less of a problem than a southerly Foehn in North Tyrol because it comes from a colder direction?

Sorry for the questions, I'm still trying to understand it fully. Puzzled
ski holidays
luigi wrote:
bart_bdv, the news isn't too bad then! Very Happy

Is it the wind speed, the dryness or the temperature increase that makes the Foehn potentially destructive?

Is a northerly Foehn in South Tyrol less of a problem than a southerly Foehn in North Tyrol because it comes from a colder direction?

Sorry for the questions, I'm still trying to understand it fully. Puzzled

I guess it's both the windspeed and the temperature increase, but they don't always play both as much (if the air is very cold the temperature increase is less destructive). You're right that usually north föhn doesn't reach such a high temperatures as south föhn because the begin temperatures are lower. South Föhn can lead to temperatures higher than 20 degrees at the north side even in january. North Föhn is less likely to reach such temperatures. Having said that, in South Tirol it can also become very warm if warm air from the south enters, so temperatures can also rise quite high even in mid winter
latest report
bart_bdv, thanks for the clarification.

Let's hope the discussion is theoretical and we don't see too much of these effects this winter! snowHead
ski holidays
So looks like pressure increasing, clearer weather, sparse snowfall, moderate northerly airflow with some foehn effect, but max temps around freezing in resorts in the lead up to Christmas.

Time for the snowpack to stabilise and settle without losing much of that lovely piste depth! snowHead
snow report
luigi, Arabba looks very nice on the webcam this morning. The cloud has lifted and there's lots of lovely snow, only 11 weeks and two days to go!!!!
snow conditions
ickabodblue, 7th March for you, 7th Feb for me, 7 weeks and two days, I'm counting too!! snowHead
latest report
We are off to Pedraces on 15th Feb. It is one of the satellite towns and down at 1350m.......but it doesn't look bad this morning Very Happy

ski holidays
....and on this one you can see the World cup GS course in prep for Sundays race in the next town of la Villa...and a very bright sun (at the mo)

latest report
Frosty the Snowman, I'm staying there too, looking good, so much better than I was expecting for this time of year!

Found this on Youtube, it's the run down into Pedraces that you can see in the webcam, it's a bit amateurish but gives the impression:

http://uk.youtube.com/v/V6pULbmOq-Y
latest report
luigi, thanks for that. I know a few who will be having some fun on that run in a few weeks time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here's an encouraging report, written two weeks ago about the early season snowfall:

http://www.skiinfo.com/News/Cortinad-Ampezzo-EITCORTINA-104-en.jhtml?a=129019
latest report
And this from a vested interest, admittedly:

http://www.neilson.co.uk/News-Blog-View.aspx?BlogId=1619
latest report
luigi, Goodness, I've counted wrongly, only 10weeks and 2days. Even better!! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Even better for me - 1 week 1 day! snowHead

Arabba showing 480cms on the upper slopes - that's a high as a house!

I notice one of the passes Marmolada way is closed - I certainly hope we will be able to get over there this year.

Steve M
ski holidays
smich, yeah, looks like the whole Marmolada sector was closed today, probably due to avalanche risk, there is 40cm of new snow on today's report, hopefully it should all stabilise and get pisted before you arrive, the snowy weather looks like it's clearing out now for the foreseeable future.

http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/arabba/en-US/open-lifts-slopes-arabba-1081EN.html
ski holidays
luigi. cool, I would have hoped so. New Year is a pretty big weekend for the Italian resorts especially. Let's hope they get everything opened up - no reason why not, with this much snow!

Steve m
ski holidays
Found this huge list of webcams across the area:

http://www.altabadiaski.info/pages/mp.php?getpage=webcam&se=E

Favourite pic of the day, from Passo Gardena twd Corvara:

click to see larger size
snow conditions
smich wrote:
luigi. cool, I would have hoped so. New Year is a pretty big weekend for the Italian resorts especially. Let's hope they get everything opened up - no reason why not, with this much snow!

Steve m

It seems that the reason why they're a bit cautious with the Marmolada is that it has been very prone to avalanche when there's a heavy snowfall, here's a report from 2005 on an Italian ski forum, the photo shows a huge 300-400m wide early season avalanche:

http://www.skiforum.it/forum/showthread.php?t=2790

On another thread on this Italian forum, one poster wrote that the Marmolada could be problematic for a while, even all season?, because of this snow.
snow report
I'm itching to get on that good snow, I'm now heading out 5 weeks earlier on the 3rd Jan, so only 13 days to go! Very Happy

Here's the reason why:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46484
snow conditions
Dolomites looked superb on Eurosport today. Sun out too. We have had quite enough of this snowing nonsense!

luigi, Enjoy!
snowHead
latest report
Chris Bish, thanks, oh yeah, I forgot it's race weekend, would have watched some, I'll have to see if there's anything on the net, I can't get Eurosport on the box.
ski holidays
Nice Sella Ronda report with super-snowy pics on a german ski forum here:

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=29389

Enjoy!! snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy