Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites/Sella Ronda-Snow Report 2008/09

Poster: A snowHead
luigi wrote:
Downhilldan, you must post a report when you get back, have a good one! Mr. Green

Cheers. Madeye-Smiley Will do.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Phew, what a weekend! Now the weather's settled down, it's time to take stock, most resorts are reporting a metre or more of fresh snow snowHead over the last 4 days:

Cortina 150cm
Selva 100+cm
Arabba 114cm
Civetta 141cm

Cold temps look to be continuing at least for a while, so pistes should remain in tip-top shape for the start of the season and looking towards the end of the month (19th-21st Dec), the World Cup racing at Val Gardena & La Villa.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 2-12-08 16:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know I said I was going to wean myself off of this thread but just couldn't resist a little peek.
Looking good snowHead snowHead snowHead only 12 weeks and five days to go!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ickabodblue, you've got it bad....

...and there's no cure!!! wink snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
5 cm reported overnight 2nd/3rd Dec, another sprinkling looking likely for Friday.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
5-10cm of snow forecast for tomorrow at altitude with snow/rain limit at 800-1000m, so no rain expected in major resorts. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alta Badia & Val di Fassa are reporting 5cm for Friday, Kronplatz got 20cm, keep it up! snowHead

Looking forward to Wed/Thurs, forecasts are indicating a new low coming up from the W.Med, bringing mild, moist air which should fall as snow in the mountains, above 1300-1500m, no predictions yet on how much though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers Luigi. 1m+ is ideal. Can we now have some sun for next Sunday onwards as we're out there. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's 12 weeks exactly now and I have started the Inghams "Fit to ski" programme today!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mollerski wrote:
Cheers Luigi. 1m+ is ideal. Can we now have some sun for next Sunday onwards as we're out there. Madeye-Smiley

Here's hoping! Conditions look to be beyond all expectations for this early in the season, have a good one and drop a line about how it went when you get back! Are you going to watch the World Cup racing?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ickabodblue, you'll look like a god on the slopes, just make sure it's not Buddha!! wink Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
luigi wrote:
ickabodblue, you'll look like a god on the slopes, just make sure it's not Buddha!! wink Laughing

...and how shall I spot you? wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mollerski, I'll be the pudgy one in a nappy with a great big smile on his face Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Unbelievable!! Latest ARPAV forecast is for up to 50cm of snow above 1000/1400m for Wednesday and even more than this for Thursday, snow continues falling on into Friday:

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/bollettini/htm/dolomiti_meteo_en.asp

Another whiteout for the Dolomites! snowHead snowHead snowHead

Mollerski, your wish is coming true! Just keep your fingers crossed for the sunshine! Cool
snow report
luigi wrote:

Mollerski, your wish is coming true! Just keep your fingers crossed for the sunshine! Cool

Fantastic!! Madeye-Smiley Now all we need is for Stirling to rally against the Euro by 40%. wink
snow report
A bit more detail in today's forecast, huge snowfall still expected Wed-Fri:

Wed: 30-50cm of snow across the Dolomites, snow-rain limit 500m at first, then rises to 1000-1200m as milder, moist air comes in.

Thur: 60-80cm of snow at altitude, with rain-snow limit around 1000-1300m

Fri: smaller amounts of snowfall expected as bad weather moves away.

Total of 100-150cm of snowfall at 2000m is expected across the 3 days, none will fall as rain in major resorts.

Powder-tastic!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Hi just got back from San Cassiano snow fantastic! Had 2 metres just before we arrived so plenty runs open for so early in the season. Took a chance and booked a cheap deal could not believe our luck!
snow report
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/reports/general/default.asp?intCountryID=6&strSortOrder=Country

A very respetable 80/ 140cm Very Happy

39 Sleeps snowHead
snow report
billyh, you lucky barsteward! Mr. Green

And I bet you had the slopes pretty much to yourselves!
ski holidays
johnboy wrote:
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/reports/general/default.asp?intCountryID=6&strSortOrder=Country

A very respetable 80/ 140cm Very Happy

39 Sleeps snowHead

Those depths will be higher by the weekend! Not long to wait! Looking good for you! Very Happy
latest report
billyh, do you have any photos to incite further envy? wink
snow report
Apparently, the up to 170cm of snow that fell the weekend 29th-30th November was the biggest single snowfall in the Dolomites for 20 years:

http://www.fasttrackski.co.uk/ski-news/italy/huge-snowfall-in-italy-200812044352.php

Snowing heavily today down to low altitudes, Milan airport closed for a while due to snow:

http://www.fasttrackski.co.uk/ski-news/italy/more-heavy-snow-in-italy-closes-airport-200812104371.php
latest report
luigi,

I like you. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
The webcam shows a very snowy Arabba this morning. Looks all christmassy, makes you feel like singing "Jinglebells" snowHead
latest report
ickabodblue, you've been knocking back too many egg-nogs! wink

But I see what you mean! snowHead :

http://www.belledolomiti.it/it/webcam/info/arabba.htm
latest report
Between 40-70cm fell in the 36hrs up to this morning, more has been falling today, 60-80cm is forecast tomorrow, smaller amounts (15-30cm) over the weekend as unsettled weather continues, needless to say, avalanche risk is very high, with risk of full-depth slabs sliding on some steep, grassy slopes! Shocked

There's going to be more snow than they know what to do with! snowHead
snow report
luigi

Yes had slopes to ourselves Very Happy

Here's some pics...

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr137/jennyhunt_2008/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
billyh wrote:
luigi

Here's some pics...

Niiiice!!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead

How did you cope with those crowds? wink

I've never seen it as snow-laden as that before. You've seen it at it's best!!! Going green
ski holidays
luigi wrote:
billyh wrote:
luigi

Here's some pics...

Niiiice!!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead

How did you cope with those crowds? wink

I've never seen it as snow-laden as that before. You've seen it at it's best!!! Going green

Three more days and we'll be there. Razz
snow report
Mollerski wrote:

Three more days and we'll be there. Razz

Don't get lost in all that snow! Shocked Mr. Green
latest report
Cortina reported 70cm on Wed, 60cm yesterday, yet more today! snowHead

Forecast for Sun & Mon, a new Mediterranean low moves in with worsening weather and more snow! snowHead snowHead
latest report
luigi wrote:
Forecast for Sun & Mon, a new Mediterranean low moves in with worsening weather and more snow! snowHead snowHead

Great. rolling eyes
snow report
luigi, the amount of snow seems to be indirectly proportional to the strength of the Pound against the Euro. It's "snow" joke as I've been pricing up holidays to the Dolomites again and was alarmed by the price of the list passes and also what I would need to feed myself Crying or Very sad
snow report
Now glad I paid for my holiday in September.
snow report
Euro business a complete nightmare but still found eating out really good value compared to other countries-you.ll have to live on spag bol! Very Happy
ski holidays
pokemon wrote:
luigi, the amount of snow seems to be indirectly proportional to the strength of the Pound against the Euro. It's "snow" joke as I've been pricing up holidays to the Dolomites again and was alarmed by the price of the list passes and also what I would need to feed myself Crying or Very sad

Ouch! Dolomiti Superski 6-day high season pass (€220) costs £201 at today's Travelex rate. Just be thankful you're not heading to France with their £8 pints! Shocked Hip flask will come in handy!

Maybe bad financial news for Euroland will eclipse Sterling's woes soon (where are those Greek anarchists when you need them? Evil or Very Mad ) and rates will bounce back a bit, not looking hopeful though! Sad

At least we can be happy about the snow! snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

needless to say, avalanche risk is very high

Don't want to be a miseryguts but with these kind of snow falls is there now a risk of serious avalanches (ie galtur/chamonix style ones threatening buildings)? I think it would be a good thing if the weather stabilised for a couple of weeks before the christmas/new year rush, or there could be big trouble in italy....
snow conditions
Plake wrote:
Quote:

Don't want to be a miseryguts but with these kind of snow falls is there now a risk of serious avalanches (ie galtur/chamonix style ones threatening buildings)? I think it would be a good thing if the weather stabilised for a couple of weeks before the christmas/new year rush, or there could be big trouble in italy....

Not such an issue in the Val Gardena valley thanks to the topography.
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:
Plake wrote:
Quote:

Not such an issue in the Val Gardena valley thanks to the topography.

Do you mean because the villages are surrounded by woods (Selva means 'forest' in Italian), and the peaks are vertical cliffs so snow doesn't accumulate there? So Galtur-style 45 degrees open slopes from peak to village with no trees in between doesn't exist?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy