Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites/Sella Ronda-Snow Report 2008/09

Poster: A snowHead
johnboy, where are you off to? Done the dolomites before?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A mate and his family spent New Year week in Canazei. They had a magnifocent week. they were blown away by the beauty of the area.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
magic_hat,

Done Italy a few times, but this is the first trip to The Dolomites. Staying in Selva.

Frosty the Snowman,

Wonder why it seems relatively undiscovered by Brits Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnboy wrote:
magic_hat,

Wonder why it seems relatively undiscovered by Brits Puzzled

Dunno, but can we leave it that way please. Madeye-Smiley We've been going to the Val Gardena valley for years, we also were in Canazei for NY week.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnboy, Stop fretting. The whole point of this area is that it is anodyne, boring piste skiing. You cruise about trying to look cool and watch the pretty mountains go past. It is not for powderhounds or off-piste tigers. There is plenty of snow on piste, and if there isn't they will make some. The Dolomites are just not suitable for proper skiing at all. It is intermediate piste cruising all the way. No challenge at all. Yes, I might just have my tongue in my cheek, but there is some truth in my reassurance about the snow.

snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chris Bish,

That will suit me just fine then Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy, Exactly. Always a blue route round the blacks! Love it.
snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just back from Canazei, had a blast, did pretty much the whole area inc Marmolada, Hidden Valley, Cinque Torri, Val di Anna, Sella Ronda, Santa Croce skitour, the Saslong WC run, Edelweiss Valley, etc.

About the snow, the best I've enjoyed here in 4 trips, there's loads of snow, too much according to the taxi guy in Arabba, it was cold temps all week but we had sunshine & blue skies 4 out of 6. It snowed a little on Tuesday, freshened the surface up. Pistes were packed below the grippy, powdery surface layer, not icy and still with plenty of bite. Busy pistes got scraped and mogulled by the afternoon, a bit tricky. In a few places where the sun had shone there was a bit of granular ice. Usual excellent grooming with occasional evidence of collecting snow from off-piste areas to repair worn pistes.

You can check my performance here with skipass no. 146/50517. A respectable 199km of pistes and 36,987m vertical. Perhaps we could start a dedicated thread for the comparison/competition.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
luigi, Welcome back. Glad you had a good time. Can you, once you have unpacked and got the washing-machine on, have a look at the thread in resorts and give me the benefit of your knowledge regarding buses between Campitello and Alleghe. I have a scheme for getting to 5 Torri that way.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
luigi, Am off to Arabba on Wednesday... 5 days skiing. Good news about the snow conditions, cheers.

Planning on doing some general mooching around the Sella Ronda and marmolada.... how easy was it to get to the hiden valley?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
magic_hat, That is more or less the same question as I am asking. From 5 Torri you can now lift-link to Hidden Valley and then back into the circuit. I am working on a plan to get down to Alleghe to get into 5 Torri from the southern end.

snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
magic_hat, Chris Bish, we did the Cinque Torri/Hidden Valley by using a taxi-bus from Arabba to the Falzarego pass, cost €50, there were 3 of us & then a german couple turned up, so €10 each. Can also be done by skiing to Armentarola & catching the taxi-bus there for €5pp. You also need €2 for the horse tow back to Armentarola. There are a few flat spots to walk or pole but an amazing adventure, well worth it. 5 Torri & Col Gallina were blissfully empty yesterday.

Chris Bish, your best bet would be to get the free ski-bus to the Pecol gondola in Canazei, up and over to Arabba, get the taxi-bus to Falzarego, do 5 Torri, then Hidden Valley, ski back via Arabba. It's a long day (32km), you can check the route we did (I don't think we made any mistakes) on the performance checker in my last post, look at 9th Jan.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers Chris Bish, luigi.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is the hidden valley worth the effort? For a Dolomite first timer I reckon there is enough to see?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snowforecast now predicting a few cm on Wednesday. Very Happy
snow report
johnboy wrote:
Snowforecast now predicting a few cm on Wednesday. Very Happy

Snow on Wednesday (with the roads remaining lovely and clear for my drive up from venice) and then sunshine for the next 5 days would be ideal!

Currently, weather.com predicting snow on wednesday and OK ish weather for other days. A few other sites predicting snow on wednesday and crap weather for the other days!
latest report
johnboy wrote:
Is the hidden valley worth the effort? For a Dolomite first timer I reckon there is enough to see?

Everything I've read seems to suggest it's a "must do" if you are in the area?

I know what you are saying though... I am only getting 4.5 days on the piste, so why spend one of them mucking about in the car or with buses/taxis. I guess I'll see when i'm out there - what normally happens in these situations is that i get up every morning and thing "nah, i'll do it tomorrow". My thinking was that I'd drive out to Cortina for a day, with an early start, and fit in 5 Torri/Hidden Valley either before or after.
snow conditions
luigi, Welcome back and thanks for the reports. Fingers crossed that it stays cold all the way to half term. I know what you mean about the busy slopes getting tricky when moguled. Had an interesting time on the slope down from Porto Vescovo (above Arabba) when it was busy last year. From the Cable car on the way up it looked like an ants nest!. Interesting that that is only graded red (someone told me it was once black but was changed to red so that more people would do the Sella Ronda).
latest report
magic_hat,

I have no doubt the hidden valley would be spectacular, but if it means a bit of pissing about I might give it a miss this time. If I had a car I might feel different.
ski holidays
luigi, Did you use the new chair lift in the Cinque Torri area .
snow report
johnboy wrote:

Certainly is! If you are driving to Cortina you can take the valley run on the way. Up the cable car, skii off the back. Minibuses wait at the valley exit abd bring you back to the cable car. Not sure what they charge these days..I was there a good few years ago. Did it by accident, leaving non-skiers in the car. Suddenly realised I was in a valeey by mnyself with no sign of a lift back! Skiied on, past a very tempting bar and was greatly relieved to find the buses!
One of the best runs ever! Going back there 31/01 to show my son.

John
snow report
The 'James Bond' run from Seceda down to Ortisei is possibly better and a whole lot eassier to get too.
snow conditions
Mollerski, The run down from Seceda to Ortesei is a very nice run. What makes the Hidden Valley run better is the fact that there is nothing in the valley except the ski run ie no lifts or roads , buildings etc until you get to a very nice refugio after about a vertical drop of over 600 metres.
ski holidays
riverman wrote:
luigi, Did you use the new chair lift in the Cinque Torri area .

Yes, it's a fixed 2-seater. The piste from the top that links back to Col Gallina/Falzarego isn't particularly wide, has some tight bends and a few flat/uphill sections, so quite a challenge to keep momentum, but fun.

It makes the whole area a lot more worthwhile as it can now be skied as a circuit without the need for a bus and particularly as it was empty compared to the Sella Ronda.
snow report
luigi, Looking forward to using the new lift and to ski the circuit. As you say this is a quiet area which will now get busier
snow conditions
Seldom Seen Kid wrote:
luigi, Welcome back and thanks for the reports. Fingers crossed that it stays cold all the way to half term. I know what you mean about the busy slopes getting tricky when moguled. Had an interesting time on the slope down from Porto Vescovo (above Arabba) when it was busy last year. From the Cable car on the way up it looked like an ants nest!. Interesting that that is only graded red (someone told me it was once black but was changed to red so that more people would do the Sella Ronda).

That was one of the pistes I was thinking of: not wide, steep, mogulled and full of early intermediates doing the clockwise Sella Ronda, a nightmare by mid-afternoon. Contrast that with the nearly empty runs across twd Passo Padon/Marmolada off the mid-station of the Arabba gondola.
latest report
Snow depths are still double the 15 yr average according to Skiclub Very Happy
snow report
Here are some photos of last week's trip to the Sella Ronda area:

Just click on each image to see the larger version and a description.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
luigi,

Cheers, looking good.
ski holidays
luigi, Conditions look fantastic. I presume if you did the trip to Santa Croce you used the new Colz chair in La Villa? Where does it drop you in relation to the Gondola up to Piz La Ila and was there a queue to use it?

Thanks in advance

By the way was the interesting smell at the Saraghes hut there or have they fixed their drains? We tend to ski past that most days and have never loitered!
ski holidays
Seldom Seen Kid, we rode the Colz chair, it's a two way job, base is at far end of the gondola car park next to the top of the La Rua chair, goes across the road and up the hill a bit to give you enough height to ski across the Doninz chair. On the way back it a 50 m skate/walk/pole to the gondola station. No significant queues each way on a fairly busy Sunday 4th Jan.

It's a lot better than having to cross the road and walk up to the next chair. They could do with a similar arrangement at Arabba.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 12-01-09 21:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Going on Saturday to Selva.
Just thinking about ski map. Will the one I get with my ski pass cover just the Val Gardena Area or will it be a map of the whole Dolomites/Sella Ronda Area?
snow conditions
MhicEasmuint,

I was wondering the same thing.
ski holidays
MhicEasmuint, There are 12 ski maps that cover the whole of the Dolomiti Ski Pass area. However they do overlap a fair way so being based in Selva you will probally need maps 3,4,5 and 6 at most.
You can pick the maps up as you go to various different areas at Lift Stations. You should get the first map when you get your lift pass.
snow conditions
riverman,

Cheers Very Happy
latest report
johnboy, If you choose carefully you can get a map with the local area on one side and the Sella Ronda routes on the other side.
ski holidays
luigi, Thanks now it all makes sense and I agree about Arabba. Did you by any chance go on the new Masarei lift? This has been an bit of a bottle neck before and I am hoping the new chair has made a big difference.
latest report
riverman,
Cheers. Don't want to be going getting lost now. lol.
Will keep an eye out for maps at the lift stations.
snow conditions
MhicEasmuint wrote:
Going on Saturday to Selva.
Just thinking about ski map. Will the one I get with my ski pass cover just the Val Gardena Area or will it be a map of the whole Dolomites/Sella Ronda Area?

The free map we got in Canazei had the whole Sella Ronda area on one side and the other Val di Fassa areas on the other side. Everyone was a bit confused by it as the slopes face so many different ways, it was difficult to work out whether pistes were going up or down.

You can buy a more detailed cartographical map (Sella Ronda one side and a larger area encompassing Val di Fassa, Civetta & Cortina on the other) with contours and spot heights as well as all the pistes and lifts at some newsagents/shops in the area, probably a good investment.

You can also buy it here:

http://www.stanfords.co.uk/stock/sellaronda-e-valli-ladine-60890/
snow report
Seldom Seen Kid wrote:
luigi, Thanks now it all makes sense and I agree about Arabba. Did you by any chance go on the new Masarei lift? This has been an bit of a bottle neck before and I am hoping the new chair has made a big difference.

Yes, I do remember it as it was one of the few times we met other Brits on a chair, it's now a fast 4-man, got quite chilly near the top with the icy north wind we enjoyed that day. That area around Pralongia/La Vizza/Cherz was one of the quietest we visited, nice runs too.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy