Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites/Sella Ronda-Snow Report 2008/09

Poster: A snowHead
luigi,

That is a mental amount of snow!!!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks luigi, that's whetted my appetite even more!

Glad to hear you got that deal with Crystal - we're in a Crystal Catered Chalet too as it happens! Chalet Violetta in Canazei. We leave the day you arrive though. If I get access to the net while I'm there, I'll leave a report on conditions.

Looks like it's going to be bonechillingly cold though!

Steve M
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnboy, I couldn't believe the photo of that yellow Peugeot/Citroen, judging from the position it was parked, it had been driven like that, the caption said it belonged to the hotel chef, talk about mental!!! Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
smich, looks really cold on 26th maybe a bit of snow, then less cold as your week progresses, but still a few degrees below average.

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/bollettini/htm/dolomiti_meteo_en.asp

http://91.121.93.17/wz/pics/MS_1246_ens.png

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/MS_120460_g05.png
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Got back yesterday. Loads of snow, a little too warm, some sun, light snow at times. No white outs, generally excellent. The S/Ronda was closed all week due to an avalanche issue at Arabba. They dynamited it, it didn't go making it very unstable. Off to Canazei on Sun. wink

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 23-12-08 0:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mollerski, good to hear your news, shame about the avalanche issue, do you know where that was?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Getting progressively colder Christmas & Boxing Day, coldest on Saturday as wind turns to easterly blowing from Russia, brrrgh!

Take your thermals if you're heading out this weekend for New Year!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
3cm reported in Val Gardena on today's report! snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
luigi wrote:

Take your thermals if you're heading out this weekend for New Year!

They're packed. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mine too.

Gonna be cold, but at least it preserves the snow!

Will report back when I can.

Steve M
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A mate who's out there this week text to say that the area desperately needs fresh snow. The hardpack is fast becoming icepack. We're heading out there in the morning to hook-up with them.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mollerski wrote:
A mate who's out there this week text to say that the area desperately needs fresh snow. The hardpack is fast becoming icepack. We're heading out there in the morning to hook-up with them.

Doesn't sound too good, as no snow is forecast all next week! Sad

It's going to get milder though, might soften a bit? Puzzled
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow is showing now as a possibility for Thursday, Baltic high is weakening allowing Med moisture & milder air in from SW:

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/bollettini/htm/dolomiti_meteo_en.asp
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Forecasts are now showing up to 10-15cm snow for Wed Night/Thursday and right down to resort level, should freshen up the pistes for those of us out at the weekend! NehNeh

Looks like some really chilly temps twd middle of next week though! Skullie On the other hand, it might discourage the Italians from taking to the piste! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
luigi, Hi, luigi, just wanted to wish you a brilliant trip snowHead
snow conditions
luigi,

Have a good one and don't tear it up too much!!
snow report
Thanks guys, it's a bit of an early start tomorrow as it's about a 4-5hr drive to Bristol Airport.

There was only 5cm of New Year snow reported at Arabba but at least it will freshen everywhere up a bit. It snowed right down to the Venetian coast! So must be cold! Skullie
latest report
luigi, Have a great week and give my love to the Dolomiti. Especially a big sloppy kiss to Colfosco.

snowHead
ski holidays
Hi everyone, just got back from Canazei yesterday.

Had a great time - snow was excellent virtually everywhere on piste. Off piste was quite compact and very well tracked as you would expect.

Sunday was very windy which blew some powder off the crowns of some slopes leaving not so much ice, it was more like sandpaper, very rough and hard and surprisingly grippy; nearly caught me out once or twice.

Rest of the week was fine - cold and bright, good visibility, piste bashers working hard to prepare the pistes for each day. I'm surprised it has been said the area needs more snow - it's still a metre deep on the roofs of buildings and that's 2/3 weeks after the main dump in December! I saw a handful of bare patches all week, and that included a tour of the Sella (clockwise), a day at Marmolada, a day in the Alba/Pozza area and a day out to Selva Gardena and St Christina (great blacks over that way) plus the usual pottering about Belvedere/Pordoi. Having said that we got 5cms overnight Weds/Thurs just to refresh the pistes a bit.

Our only problem last week was the traffic and that's not just the cars in town (which were bad enough - caused chaos with the Skibuses). No it was the lift queues. We lost TWO WHOLE HOURS standing in queues on the Marmolada day, it was ridiculous. It's just a shame we have to go that week because of our son's school etc. It's a busy enough week for the season anyway I guess, but it's rather ironic I'm tempted to say don't go when there's been a big dump of snow!!!!! It certainly made it much busier than the same week last season....

Overall another great week in the Dolomites - Europe's best kept skiing secret.

Stay upright everyone!

Steve M
ski holidays
Thanks for that update Steve M -flying out next Saturday 10th -staying at Pozza Di Fassa -got a deal with Crystal -first time we will have skied the Dolomites so this thread has been very informative -stayed in Selva last summer for a week and did a bit of tour of the area on the Sella Ronda bus and convinced ourselves that we would go back in the winter subject to good snow conditions. Snow is forecast later this week according to Snowforecast.com so things are looking good., Looking forward to trying the local grappas aswell Very Happy
snow conditions
smich,

Cheers. Only 13 sleeps for me
latest report
Yes thanks SMICH,me to johnboy,cya at the airport.
Are you rated for A320's johnboy? wink
ski holidays
coolhandluke,

I wish. Just Cessna 152, 172 and Piper Warrior II
latest report
johnboy wrote:
smich,

Cheers. Only 13 sleeps for me

Same here bring it on!!!!

You going to the same place coolhandluke?
latest report
MhicEasmuint, coolhandluke,

Where are you guys off to again? I am in Hotel Flora, Selva. Very Happy
snow report
Johnboy,

I'm in Hotel Flora too, with 15 others. Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy
snow report
MhicEasmuint,

Shocked Shocked Shocked Norn Iron invasion!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Yup. Will soon fly in now. Very HappyVery Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MhicEasmuint,

Really looking forward. Snow depths are excellent, but lets hope they get a wee top up before the 17th. snowHead
snow report
johnboy wrote:
MhicEasmuint,

Really looking forward. Snow depths are excellent, but lets hope they get a wee top up before the 17th. snowHead

Yep been thinking the exact same myself. Very Happy

Just been sitting looking at ski maps this evening, or the local Val Gardena area and some local maps of the other areas on the Sella Ronda. Totally in Ski mood now. Very Happy
ski holidays
johnboy wrote:

Im in Canaezi,15 peeps sounds like an expensive round at the bar Shocked
snow report
coolhandluke wrote:
johnboy wrote:

Im in Canaezi,15 peeps sounds like an expensive round at the bar Shocked

Well could be worse. Had 29 in trip I organised last year. Shocked
snow report
coolhandluke, MhicEasmuint,

Gentlemen, can we concentrate on the snow dance. Although depths are good I think we need a bit of fresh stuff snowHead
ski holidays
Yep big time!!
Nothing given for the next week.
Some fresh would be nice to have some fun among the trees.
snow report
I'm off to Arabba next wednesday and have just checked the forecasts.

i know they are hugely unreliable that far ahead, but forecast for thursday 15th is for 13 inches of snow!
ski holidays
That would just be sweet for those of us arriving on the 17th Very Happy
latest report
I'm arriving Canazei on the 17th, post a decent snowfall on the current base would be superb!! Very Happy
latest report
in typical flakey fashion, the same website has now changed it's forecast to 1cm!! Rubbish!

Still, better than the forecast on weather.com which is predicting fog for every day from 14th - 18th!
latest report
Problem is I'm arriving tomorrow (Pozza Di Fassa) -but I'll still have ball -been checking a few sites and I don't think we will have any fresh powder. Still consider myself very fortunate when you see some of the footage from Gaza -brings everything in to perspective does it not ? -and besides the spectacular scenery as always will blow my mind Very Happy
ski holidays
Nothing for the next 6 days on snow-forecast Crying or Very sad

At least there is plenty of snow, all be it a bit hard. Maybe we are in for a mega dump after 16th!!

This time next week I shall be on my way Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy