Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Valmorel or ????

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, family of three intermediates looking to go skiing for a week at the end of december/ early january. We have been looking at valmorel, la plagne and flaine. Would like any information anyone has on these resorts or any advice towards another resort. Only looking for a cheapish getaway staying central with somewhere other than the apartment to go at night. Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paulrfair, cheapish may not be an option at this stage for New Year skiing Sad

Try search function to get more info on these resorts. The only one I know is Flaine - in a nutshell, lots of fab varied intermediate skiing, good scenery, convienient accommodation, ugly resort with a handful of good eateries. It's somewhere you go for the skiing! You can of course stay in one of the other more attractive villages in the Grand Massif where you can still access the terrain Samoens, Les Carroz or Morillon.

If it was me at this stage, I would choose resort asap and get in touch with the local tourist information office.

Valmorel is supposed to be lovely. More French than Flaine. Good for intermediates from what I've heard snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paulrfair, are you looking to travel before New Year's Eve, or will a trip in early January be suitable? That will make a big difference to availability of accommodation.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Valmorel is nice, although not much skiing over 2000m, but a nice place when the snow is good.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
After endless research, pros and cons, and availability. Going to choose between les arc 1800 and la plagne? Which would you choose?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
paulrfair, not a big difference between them. I prefer the piste skiing on the Les Arcs side of Paradiski because it seems a bit more varied than La Plagne, but that might be just because I know it better. Lots of off-piste opportunities in both resorts, some of which you need a guide for. Can't compare the nightlife unfortunately. All other things being equal I'd probably choose between the resorts depending on which offered the better choice of accommodation for my budget (eg ski in/out, facilities, etc).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would choose Valmorel if I am an early intermediate as this resorts has the largest number of green runs in the Alps.

I would say La plagne has the densest crowd. Flaine can be bad too and the bottlenecks are not much fun. Flaine being part of the Grand Massif could be easily invaded by skiers coming off a plane from the Geneva airport within an hour.

Les Arcs stands out as my best choice as the place is big enough and well spread. La Plagnes should be OK if one get away early from the Plagne Centre and Bellecote areas but still running into too many piste users on getting back.

For Christmas and New year time aim at a resort with altitude and that should be Les Arcs or La Plagne as being either side of the Paradiski there is always snow at 3000+m level at the glaciers should there be a worldwide shortage of snow.

I also prefer the Les Arcs side of the Paradiski to the mole-hill terrain of La Plagne. The vertical drop of 2km in Les Arcs is a rare treat and queues are significantly shorter whereas I always find those in La Plagne a hindrance.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We went to Valmorel and had a good week there. Stayed in Hotel du Bourg (B &B) and ate out in different restaurants in the evenings. We have also been to La Plagne (les coches) and Les Arcs (1800).

In terms of skiing Les Arcs is my favourite resort..has the high stuff but also lots of pretty tree lined runs. Lots of runs at all levels of ability if I remember correctly. If you haven't yet tried Les Arcs I'd recommend it. 1800 is a good place to stay - we stayed in Hotel du Golf prior to having children..I think there are lots of appartments too. There is also the new village at 1950 which we haven't yet tried.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paulrfair, you seem to have narrowed your choice down to a specific area of Les Arcs and the whole of La Plagne.
To properly advise, you need to tell us which bit of La Plagne you are proposing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy