Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Zell am See good for beginners?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just been asked if Zell is any good for beginners? A few of my friends are planing to go there next year and have asked me but i've never been there myself. What's the verdict?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did a season there a couple of years ago... Its decent for beginners, but not the biggest ski area in the world. Plenty of cruisey blues to learn on, but they do get busy during school holls. Its a great resort for an all round beginners holiday as the ski schools are excelent, the town is really pretty, and the nightlife is superb.... Enjoy!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kersh, Yes it's fine, they won't be skiing back to town in the first week (unless they really progress) but that apart plenty big wide blues to be learning on. Also agree that the resort as a whole will give them a really good first ski holiday.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
When are they going? Yes, the runs may be ideal but they do get very very busy in peak weeks, and that isnt really ideal if the beginners are at all nervous...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think every resort has facilities for the beginners. The Kaprun area, sold as part of Zell am See ski pass and requires a bus ride, may be more beginner-friendly.

There is a much bigger resort within 10 miles from Zell am See called Saalbach which is linked with Leogang and Hinterglemm. Being bigger it has more facilities for beginners. I recommended it to some collegues (beginners) and they enjoyed it.

Zell am See + Kaprun has 130km piste combined whereas the fully linked Saalbach/Leogang/Hinterglemm has 200km piste as one domain. The latter has plenty blue runs which are good for lerner skiers/boarders.

When interrogating with Google map Saalbach and Kaprun are 18km and 7.5km from Zell am See respectively. From my visits Saalbach has better snow as it is deep inside a dead-end valley whereas Zell am See is on a busy trunk road. Skiers staying in Zell am See generally have to do a bit of walking to the 3 chairlift stations as the accommodations are scattered around the town.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think Zell is fine for beginners. Schuttdorf may be a better access point than City xpress as you have blues that go further down the hill. The only runs to resort are steep red or black, so they will have to download via gondola.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Elizabeth B, "Schuttdorf may be a better access point than City xpress as you have blues that go further down the hill"

You're right Elizabeth but only very marginally further. Blue 1, known as Panorama is a great one for beginners, and all the ski schools are on it, even beginners from day 3.

My advice would be only to use the Aretibahn down to Schuttdorf if you are staying there, otherwise its a few minutes wait in the cold shade at the end of the day and standing room at best on a busy ski bus from Kaprun to get back to Zell. It's Ok the odd time but you would get pretty tired of it every day.

If you are staying in Zell itself you would be better to take the Glocknerbahn chair back up panorama then cut across onto blue 2 down to Mittelstation and then back down on the City Express.

If you are staying in the Schmittenhohe valley then take the Areitbahn up the way from the bottom of panorama to the Areitbahn 3 top station and then come down the new Trass Express, admittedly that might not be any quicker than the bus but you wont be standing in the cold waiting for a bus you will probably have to stand on.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thaks for the info everyone

Markus, I think they're going in Jan 2010 so they should avoid the busy times.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy