Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski insurance (full season), any ideas ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

Does anyone know of a policy that is not too expensive and if a claim is made they actually understand about ski holidays.

I will be taking a number of trips this year to France and Austria so I though it may be cheaper to get a full season (Start of December to End of March) insurance policy.

The only thing I am worried about is that all the insurance policies I have looked at look really good, so it's hard to know which is OK and which is not.

As an example I took out a policy some years ago with a company and my (2 days old) skis were taken from outside the cafe in Soll. The insurance refused to pay as they said I should have kept them with me, I was not looking after my equipment correctly so they would not pay. There was a sign outside the cafe saying "no skis inside". This same company would not refund my friend's holiday cost as he had not informed them of a possible claim within 3 days even though he was knocked over in the town centre and was in a coma for 3 weeks. It was only after seeing a solicitor that he get paid for the holiday cost and medical claim.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alison Arulia,
Quote:

they actually understand about ski holidays.

This year for our four trips to France we have insured with www.dogtag.co.uk
They really do understand skiing and have various policies rather than one size fits all.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you I will telephone them right away
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The British Mountaineering Council offer what is probably the gold standard in UK skiing cover. Although it may be more than you want.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alison Arulia, you'll have to check the number of skiing days allowed - it's not easy to find a policy which covers multiple trips (as opposed to a season in one place, without coming back to the UK). We used the Ski Club of Great Britain's "executive" policy - which also covers off piste - but it ain't cheap.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes I think they offer a little more than I need
http://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/insurance/Policies.aspx#alpine
but thank you for the advice
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many of the annual policies limit you to 17 days skiing. And that's not nearly enough. wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alison Arulia wrote:

As an example I took out a policy some years ago with a company and my (2 days old) skis were taken from outside the cafe in Soll. The insurance refused to pay as they said I should have kept them with me, I was not looking after my equipment correctly so they would not pay. There was a sign outside the cafe saying "no skis inside".

Sorry but I think this is a fair enough exclusion - did you lock the skis, separate them, keep them under observation? Do you leave your car unlocked and claim when things are stolen from it?

There are a number of annual policies that allow multiple ski trips that do seem to understand skiing or at least the bits that are important like medical. They will probably not cover for accidents while drunk though for instance (though many punters ignore this risk too).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, Maybe, but 17 days would do for me just. I saw this thread and started to think one long weekend in Dec. One week in Feb, and one in April (oh dear, I think I've think I caught the Snowheads multi-trip bug Laughing , though mostly its down to my new skiing BoyF wink ) all on piste I wonder if I would benefit from some sort of multi-trip policy this year? I know its someone elses thread, but hopefully Alison Arulia, wouldn't be too put out if you lobbed some info into the pot that could benefit us both snowHead

I might try look up these dogtag people thoug
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowcard will cover for skis left unattended iirc.

Everyone will, at some point have left their skis lying around outside a bar.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, how much is your "ain't cheap", if you don't mind me asking?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I checked with my LloydsTsb Gold account annual policy (17 days) - they will cover unattended skis if they are locked to something.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We use the Direct Travel annual policy this allows up to 17 days skiing per trip (trips can be longer) with unlimited number of trips in any 12 month period it also covers for off piste without a guide in Europe. http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
second the direct travel suggestion
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Am I going to come unstuck if I need more insurance than the Minimums Puzzled
latest report
I've just switched from Lloyds TSB to Snowcard as they will cover multiple trips up to 30 days each, PLUS off piste unless out of resort bounds, and will quote me for cover for one or two races too. The cover runs from November to May for the season.

FWIW we always split our skis and poles, and also lock them up to something unless we are watching them all the time.
snow report
Boredsurfing, I've just looked up your Dog Tag group for multi-trip cover (I think I saw a stand advertising them at Olympia this year). They do a policy covering a single parent with up to 4 dependants (very enlightened) inc. 17 days skiing for a year with £1000 gear cover for £89.45 - vs. what I've bought in the past for a single trip policy that's damn good value in my book.
ski holidays
Alison Arulia, Endsleigh are good... I had 3 month insurance with them, a couple of friends dealt with them with claims and they were prompt and on the ball. When BA lost my luggage they were extremely helpful also.
ski holidays
I use flexicover direct. £67 for annual worldwide insurance for a couple, including 17 days of skiing a year.

Anyone know how they know how many days youv've been skiing for in a year. If you have been on 3 x 1 week trips with no claims, and then have an accident on your 4th week, how do they know that youve had 17+ days of skiing?
snow conditions
snowcard were great in the past - but their trip length limits are no good for me, so I had to change.

chris, I paid around £250.
latest report
I've just checked Dog Tag are at Birmingham on Saturday too - I will go and speak to them.
snow report
pj hayman covers up to 60 days multi trip with primium cover or 30 with standart cover. been with them for the past year and claimed 100 for missed connection and 100 for dellayed bags for a day. Everithing was streight-forward. Not sure how much is for new ppl but my renewal is 50 with primium cover.
ski holidays
I use dogtag as well. Really good if you like to do more than the usual number of days/off piste etc. Great for anyone doing other sports as well - they can cover a lot of sports not offered by other insurers.
latest report
I think that the good insurer is not the one who ofers all u need and muck it between the lines of the T&C so u cant claim it when u need. If u get 120 days cover and all the good stuff ....,How do u feel when someone take ur skis away and the insurer tells you that u cant claim for them.?Or come with lots of criteria which in most cases is inposible(or to late already) to get. If you had a claim write about it and how easy was to claim?
ski holidays
If in France get the carte neige as a top up, very cheap and well worth the money.

http://www.ffs.fr/site/carteneige/index.php?rub=ass
snow report
I use direct travell annual and if i stay longer than 17 days I buy additional time with them sometimes i also top up with cart neige as it is hassel free if you need to be taken off the mountain.
latest report
another dogtag user here.... a friends son got air lifted out of an off piste situation with a head injury in canada a couple of years back from what i hear they picked it up brilliantly
latest report
Not sure if you have found cover yet? If you haven't then have a look at Travel & General, they pay out easily, understand about skiing and will cover you for off-piste skiing without a guide as long as you are with a friend. http://www.travel-general.com/

Hope they work out for you

T
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm also considering Dogtag for this season, I've had a look round and I can't find anything else that gives me the level or length of cover that i want.
latest report
I use Dogtag them on annual world-wide basis...which is great but only covers 31 days (IIRC) which is not enough for me this season - and I've never claimed so can't comment on that side..

So I can cancel that and switch to single-trip - but i guess it really means single-trip and therefore I wonder what happens if I nip home for a weekend, which I think I will have to because of weddings etc.
snow conditions
bertie bassett, when we looked into the sort of "gap year" or seasonnaire insurance it definitely excluded any trips back to the UK - it was that, plus the time we're out there, plus the fact that we're old and feeble, which pushed the annual cost up so high.
snow conditions
I last 2 seasons I've found my season insurance on www.travelcover.co.uk (though never had to claim). Try asking on www.natives.co.uk, as this topic comes up regularly, & loads of them take out season insurance.
snow conditions
bertie bassett, offer a seasons cover if you need it
snow conditions
we use direct travel http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/ who include race training and off piste without a guide - have just renewed for a further year - total cost for a family of 4 = £68! that's not continuous cover mind you, but we are each covered individually for trips of up to - I think - 17 days at a time. Seems good value to me ... Very Happy
latest report
poma, that seems a good package and I looked at it after a previous Snowheads recommendation. But although it covers long trips (on their higher priced packages) it's only 17 days siing per trip, so it didn't suit us, unfortunately. If you do multiple trips of over 30 days and want unlimited days skiing during the year, it's expensive. Then add being old..... The thing is with being old, is that you have to cram the skiing in before you're past it!
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
bertie bassett, offer a seasons cover if you need it

CEM thanks but I think you missed out the vital bit!!
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Alison Arulia wrote:

As an example I took out a policy some years ago with a company and my (2 days old) skis were taken from outside the cafe in Soll. The insurance refused to pay as they said I should have kept them with me, I was not looking after my equipment correctly so they would not pay. There was a sign outside the cafe saying "no skis inside".

Sorry but I think this is a fair enough exclusion - did you lock the skis, separate them, keep them under observation? Do you leave your car unlocked and claim when things are stolen from it?

The only exclusions regarding theft or loss of ski equipment in my policy last year was if the equipment was left in an unattended vehicle overnight (or if left in an unattended vehicle during the day unless in a locked boot or hidden from sight).

That was from www.jsinsurance.co.uk (Underwritten by AXA).
latest report
Mmmm............... Direct Travel = £65.75
Can't work out quickly how to make the travel general website work - doesn't help them with sales I think
JS Travel insurance are able to cover a pre-existing medical condition - it'll cost £150, but might be worth considering
snow report
Megamum, Have a chat with dogtag at the ski show and show them that 65.75 quote, I'm sure the apples v. apples will show the rotten parts wink
snow report
Alison Arulia, We normally use STA travel for our season insurance but are switching to a special 'staff insurance' policy this year provided by the company that provides our liablity insurance. It may also be worth you having a look at the Ski Club of Great Britain seasonal insurance policy - don't know what the price works out at but worth checking as I know that it covers you off piste as well as on......
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy